Some help for a Trainz newbie

TheFlyingElf

Hi all,

My son Ben bought Railway Sim 2004 at the weekend (I didn't know there was a 2006 at the time!)...I have a couple of starter questions as both of us have little idea of how to drive the trains properly yet, and some of the locos and wagons we downloaded from the Download Station don't appear in the Railyard...

- Is there a simple explanation somewhere of how to
use the diesel/electric braking system...after a couple of reads the descriptions of the system/pressures etc. in the engineer manual aren't helping much!
- The rolling stock that won't appear is a Silverlink County loco, and Virgin XC package...if I look at these in TrainzObjectz I get a message...

"No mesh file to display. This item is aliased to ........."

...in some cases the file mentioned has been downloaded, but in the rest I can't find the file in the download location or in the Download Station.

Can you tell me what this means, and what I need to do...or direct me to where I can find the answer?

The Virgin package said we needed the paintshed...we installed it, and created a simple loco and wagon (I understand that makes Trainz recognise the installation?)...but these locos still don't show.

Thanks for your help...I'm sure we'll need some more later!

Nige & Ben

TC and TRS2006 have the cmp interface which is supposed to be easier to use, at last I find it so. TC3 which isn't finished yet is probably the one to buy but get it direct from Auran that way you don't need to keep the CD/ DVD in the drive.

Not all content is on the DLS sometimes a dependency is somewhere else. If you've figured out Trainzobjectz then you probably figured out missing dependencies. You need them all before an item will appear. I think TRS2006 and TC download them automatically for you. TRS2006 has built-in content that many routes use that doesn't come with TC1/2.

Treat this as background some one who still uses TRS2004 will probably be better at answering your specific questions.

Cheerio John

As mentioned, if you don't already have TrainzObjectz, get it. Have a look here for it.

Then let TO have a look at your objects and see what it says after it has analyzed them. That will get you going and solve most of your problems with TRS2004 or at least point you in the direction of a solution.

Often a single missing dependency is all that stops an object from appearing. Sound and engine files are often the culprit.

As for actually driving an engine using the in cabin controls, thats a whole other topic. Unless you're going for strict realism, I would start with DCC controls, at least until you're comfortable with Trainz. It can be a challenge just getting from here to there without having to know how to control a train the real way. I'll let train drivers describe the details.

Welcome to Trainz, especially TRS2004. I like it because it lets me get under the hood and tinker. I also like to modify and create new objects as I build routes, which I find easier in this version.

Thanks,

I'm not sure I follow exactly what to do re. the missing content...I'll have another look around TO and see if that helps...as I said before, I don't understand the error message, and in some cases the KUID files referred to are already downloaded!

Can you tell me what TC and TC3 that you refer to are?

We've got TRS2004 now, and will stick with it and learn how to use it...but can someone tell me what the main diffs between this and the 2006 version are?

Thanks

Nige

All 3D objects in Trainz are constructed with a wire frame (mesh) on which the textures are placed. The mesh file will have an extension of .pm or .im. The older file system used by Trainz was .pm and the new file system is .im, but both types are supported. Some objects are constructed by making new textures that can be fit to an existing mesh. The existing mesh is referenced in the objects config.txt file as an alias. Since such objects don't include the actual mesh file, TO gives this message.
"No mesh file to display. This item is aliased to ........."

Train brake system control has 3 modes:
Q (release) Connects the loco's air compressor to the brake pipe.
A (application) Disconnects the loco's air compressor and opens the brake pipe's vent-to-atmosphere valve causing the brake pipe pressure to drop and the brake cylinder pressure to rise.
Z (lap) Closes the brake pipe vent valve causing the brake pipe pressure to stop decreasing and the brake cylinder pressure to stop increasing.

When you apply brakes the brake pipe pressure drops and brake cylinder pressure increases. For each 1 pound in pipe pressure drop the cylinder pressure will increase by about 3 pounds. This continues until you go to lap mode. When cylinder pressure equals pipe pressure it will stop increasing and you have max braking. At this point go to lap mode since further decreases in pipe pressure will not increase braking.

When you initiate brake release, the pipe pressure increases but the cylinder pressure stays the same until the pipe pressure becomes greater than the cyclinder pressure. At this point the cyclinder pressure will rapidly go to zero.

TC=Trainz Classic, the newest version of Trainz.

Bob

Last edited:
Back