Screenshot of The Week: January 17 to January 24 2016 (Progress)

Stevelerro
Roy3b3

Honorable mentions:
Generalman
trainboi1
SirGreg

@peterwise: What about that little tank engine on that siding on the right? I didn't see anything about it in the description.

Last edited:
Hi Jordon, little tank?On the Picture are 5 engines,4 wagons and a yellow caboose maybe you mean the caboose?

@peterwise: What about that little tank engine on that siding on the right? I didn't see anything about it in the description.

Jordon,

Thanks for the interest.

The scene represents mainline locomotives and coaches/carriages of the GWR (with the exception of the GWR horse-drawn omnibus which gives a sense of transport before mechanised railways.

The wagons and vans on the right are supposed to be "tucked away" there during the event and necessary shunting would have been done by the GWR pannier tank on the right which, though not a mainline passenger locomotive, was, nevertheless, a ubiquitous workhorse of the GWR. So it too is just there to complete the picture, as it were.

'Hope that explains OK.

By the way my son and his three children are all autistic too (at various levels of functioning).

Peter (Ireland).

Jordon,

Thanks for the interest.

The scene represents mainline locomotives and coaches/carriages of the GWR (with the exception of the GWR horse-drawn omnibus which gives a sense of transport before mechanised railways.

The wagons and vans on the right are supposed to be "tucked away" there during the event and necessary shunting would have been done by the GWR pannier tank on the right which, though not a mainline passenger locomotive, was, nevertheless, a ubiquitous workhorse of the GWR. So it too is just there to complete the picture, as it were.

'Hope that explains OK.

By the way my son and his three children are all autistic too (at various levels of functioning).

Peter (Ireland).

Now I know a little bit more about railroads in the U.K.. Those tanks are pretty much the equivalent of the 2-8-0 over here. Just about every railroad own at least one and they came in various sizes and shapes. A good example of size were the big 2-8-0s used by the Lake Superior and Ishpeming Railroad. They were used to switch the large docks where iron ore were transferred from ore hoppers to giant ships that would take them to steel mills along the Great Lakes. One of these brutes is now on the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, Western Maryland #734. On the other end of the scale is little Southern 154, built around the turn of the 20th century, now at the Three Rivers Rambler in Knoxville, Tennessee. I've been meaning to go ride behind her, though I've taken numerous rides behind her 'big sister,' Southern #630. Interesting fact is that the 2-8-0 and the 2-8-2 are the most common operating steam locomotives, although most of the 2-8-2's are narrow gauge while most 2-8-0s are standard gauge.
And also, it looks like you've got a lot of experience of people with Autism.

Last edited:
sp9813 & Thai1On:

Please, it's CaptainKman. :)

There's nothing 'kinky' about me. ;)

Kieran.

Last edited:
Voting is now closed. Thank you all for participating.

4 peterwise
4 stevelerro
3 sp9813
2 captainkman
1 pietroli
1 bnsf_emd
1 roy3b3
1 generalman

Cheerio,
Nicholas

Back