Routes and Session difficulty

Yorkshire

I have been creating a route for TANE and each time I have further developed it, I have, from the menu, elected to ‘edit’ the route. I made a mistake somehow and now when I open the route, all I have is the baseboards and the textures - no track, buildings etc. To edit the route I have to open the session and edit the route from that. Even though I have tried to ‘merge’ the session into the route, I still can’t open the route without opening the session. I have tried opening the session and then doing a ‘save as’ a new route and session with a new name, but when I open that as a route, I am still only getting the boards and ground textures. How can I get back to opening it as a route only with all the track, buildings etc. Hope I am not stuck with only accessing the route through a session.

Yorkshire

Hi Shane

Never really got the full understanding of sessions/routes! At first it wasn't in the session by default because I started the new route and continued by always editing the route, never going into the session. I then somehow must have put the track etc into a session. Just discovered that the autosave has saved it as a route independent of the session so can get into it that way. The question for me is having made an error accidently, why doesn't merge layer into the route layer put the track etc into the route layer so I can continue to develop the route as a route independent of the sessions? Thanks for the reply.

Yorkshire

Hi Shane

Never really got the full understanding of sessions/routes! At first it wasn't in the session by default because I started the new route and continued by always editing the route, never going into the session. I then somehow must have put the track etc into a session. Just discovered that the autosave has saved it as a route independent of the session so can get into it that way. The question for me is having made an error accidently, why doesn't merge layer into the route layer put the track etc into the route layer so I can continue to develop the route as a route independent of the sessions? Thanks for the reply.

Yorkshire

Fun isn't it!

The reason you can't find your content is the session is probably not the same as that found on the session layer. :confused: This means the session layer is blank when you work in Surveyor route editing mode, but go the sessions where you drive trains only to find your track and stuff there. Very confusing indeed.

Since I get confused easily and have for years, I decided I'd attempt to keep things as simple as possible. I do all my route editing in Surveyor route editing mode. I don't touch the session at all. When I press CTRL-S to save, I check Do not save session. I am only editing a route and there is no session associated...

When I go to setup drivers, I will then create the session. There are times, such as setting up portals, which require unlocking the route layer, from within the Session editor, but that is the only time I will touch it. When I'm done, I will have a single session associated with the route which I can drive.

This is probably similar to how TRS2004 up to TS2010 worked and it works simply for me.

John

Last edited:
Hi John

yes you hit the nail on the head - it is confusing. You do what I do - keep it simple - but somewhere it went pear shaped! I still don't understand why if you are in a session mode, and then merge the session into route-layer - using the merge tool in surveyor, you still end up with a blank baseboard except for ground textures - tis confusing and a mystery!

Yorkshire

Back