Question...Please help

Spirit0f64

I have a question for all. I would like to purchase a program and learn how to skin buildings and objects, but I do not know which program I should buy. I was thinking about Paintshed, but after reading many posts, most have said it is easier to just use whatever program you have. I would like to know what program(s) others are using. I thought about Adobe Photoshop, but it was a bit pricy (around $300). Photoshop Essentials, on the other hand, is only $60 to $80 depending on where you buy it which is much more around the price I had in mind, but will Essentials work? I know for a fact that some programs are not fully compatible with Essentials because it is just that...the essentials (bare bones). Please help. If anyone can suggest a program or let me know if Essentials will work, I would be very grateful. Thank you. :D

Just a quick addition to my post to say THANK YOU! You all have been a great help and I'm now on my way to re-skinning! A little time and effort and I should be well on my way. Thanks so much for all your advice, suggestions and help! Oh happy me! :D

Last edited:
I'd second Shane's suggestion of the GIMP. It is open source, and free to download, but has most of the capabilities of The full blown photoshop.

ns

Okay...I downloaded GIMP and installed it...but...I can't find the files to transfer. Where are the images and how do I open them in GIMP? I know how to use the CM to open for edit and commit, I just can't find the images I'd like to repaint or do I have to create a new image?

With CM open asset in explorer/ R click the texture open in GIMP
Paint Shop Pro 8.1 is what I use for ALL photo repair, Re-painting.
Newer than 8.1 buggy 6X
I've been using it for many years.
100's of web tutorials and free stuff.
Some say free but I don't know
About $80 to $100

Last edited:
Most Trainz assets, once you have opened them with Ctrl-Shift-E in CM, will have their images or "skins" stored as .tga or .bmp files. Some of the older assets will have them buried inside .texture files (don't confuse these with .texture.txt files). Some of the more complex assets will have multiple skin files and even multiple folders. Each skin file will be accompanied by a .texture.txt file which is a simple text file containing the name of the skin file and other information needed by Trainz. If you are going to change a skin from, for example, a .bmp file to a .tga file or change the name of its skin file then you will need to edit its .texture.txt file as well.

If you happen to open for editing an older Trainz asset which does not have .tga or .bmp skins then you will need to download and use PEVs "image to tga" tool to create the .tga file from the .texture file that contains it. When saving or creating .tga files they must be saved without any compression otherwise they will not work in Trainz.

Reskinning is a steep learning curve when you first start out. There are also issues dealing with which parts of the skin map to which parts of the assets.

There are two categories of "Phd" software. One category is the type that is so intuitive that the software almost tells one "Push Here, Dear". Unfortunately, GIMP is in the other category of "Phd" software, the kind that almost requires a PhD degree to be able to use it. It's a complicated bit of software, and it takes most people a period of time to learn to use the software.

Unless you downloaded GIMP from the official website ( http://www.gimp.org ), I suggest uninstall the software, and download the package from that website, There are nefarious sites out there that take some open source packages, and insert malware. But even if you choose not to do that on the GIMP website, the "Documentation" link in the upper right corner of the site links to a page where the second heading from the top is "Tutorials", with a link to "Tutorials on GIMP". Folloiwing that link will take you to a page which has beginning, intermediate, and advanced tutorials on using GIMP. Start working through some of the beginning tutorials to learn to use the software.

There is also a WIKIbook on GIMP, at <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GIMP> which can be helpful.

Once you know how to use the tool, you'll need to know how it is used to reskin. A "skin" is an image texture mapped to a mesh so that the mesh will display the texture. Reskinning is the art of taking the original creator's skin, and changing it so that when it is in game, it is a different object. To do that, you need to know how the original skin is applied to the model, so you know what to change. This is not always easy, because experienced reskinners will pack the items they need for the skin tightly into the image file, and map the file to the mesh in ways that are not always straghtforward. Relatively small parts of the mesh may be mapped to much larger parts of the skin, and large parts of the mesh may be mapped to small parts of the skin. And the same part of a skin may be mapped to multiple parts of the mesh. For example, in a house, all of the windows of the same size may be mapped to a single window image on the skin; on a box car, both sides of the car may be mapped to a single side on the image, and on a locomotive, all of the radiator fans may be mapped to on instance of the fan on the image. And there are some, and will probably be more, items which cannot be reskinned because they are colored without textures.

After you have some experience with GIMP, choose some simple structures, open them in for edit in explorer, and look for texture files. The texture files will be files with an image format, typically having a "tga" file extension. Copy the image file(s: there can be more than one texture file on an object, particularly if it is a complex object) into another location on your computer, and close the asset. Then, install that asset in a test baseboard and examine it closely from all directions. Open the image(s) you copied in GIMP, and compare what you see on the test installation with the images you copied from the file Try to identify to which bit of the image each bit of the Trainz object is mapped, but be aware that it may not always be immediately obvious. When you've done that, you'll know what the effect will be of changing a particular bit of the texture image.

Summarizing the essential steps: Learn to use the software you're going to use to reskin; learn to recognize how a skin is mapped, and change the skin. But of the three steps, only the third one is guaranteed to e simple, since that, after all, is only a matter of copying a file.

Final bit of advice: start small. Don't start by trying to reskin a locomotive. I'd start with a small structure, then move on to increasingly large and complex ones, then look for freight cars with simple skin [Note:what appears to e a simple freight car, may not have a simple skin. If I do a flat car it will have a complex skin because every the required writing has to be in a small space; conversely, what seems to be a complex car, like a tank car may have a simple skin. then locomotives.

Final Final bit of advice: don't expect to be a top drawer reskinner by the end of the month, or even the end of three months from now. It will take time to learn to do, and more time to learn to do well, but it's a skill that is in demand in the community.

Back