question about recently uploaded 1000mm Mallet Locos

b9k9kiwi

The Mallet locos recently made available on the DLS are really very nice (and, as is common, look the part in my 3ft6in layout), although I cannot find a way of driving them using the keyboard - I've pressed every key there is and can't find a way of making them go - they respond to AI (tm) commands OK though.

My question, directed at any afficianados out there, is related to the bar or pipe that appears to protrude forward from each of the low-pressure cylinders if the front bogey - are these prototypical or a problem/glitch with the model? Looks like a pretty dangerous feature to me :)

I think it is for the rod the piston is attached to, when the piston goes forward the rod conveniently goes into it, that or its use is to spear unsuspecting sheep:D .

WileeCoyote

It appears that the only way to drive these locos in cab mode is from the actual cab not the keyboard, but then you only get 4 positions on the regulator 0%,25%,50% and 100%. The only other option is DCC mode. And Yeah WileeCoyote is right, it's for the piston rod's only i don't think they are supposed to be that long.:rolleyes:

It appears that the only way to drive these locos in cab mode is from the actual cab not the keyboard, but then you only get 4 positions on the regulator 0%,25%,50% and 100%. The only other option is DCC mode. And Yeah WileeCoyote is right, it's for the piston rod's only i don't think they are supposed to be that long.:rolleyes:

Mmmm ... pity about the keyboard/cab control limitations. The basic engine physics seem to be quite good - the loco (under AI) takes some time to get up to speed and also takes some distance to stop when it reaches a track mark. It doesn't take off like a rocket or grind to a shuddering halt as other locos do - though I do concede that AI control is something of a compromise and this shouldn't be taken as a criticism of other locomotive creators.

The engine physics/bogies aren't quite right, however, as the bogies tend to 'flutter' when the loco comes to a halt - and it takes a leap forward every time it couples to any rolling stock. Still nice to use though.

Thanks (to you and others) for the info.

Back