Persistant SP1 installation problem

BruceFreeland

I have read the threads on possible problems with installing SP1 and tried to follow all the procedures and instructions listed in those threads. TRS09 installs fine but crashes as soon as I install SP1, and this has happened after numerous (more than 12) reinstallations. For reference purposes, my desktop PC has a Pentium D CPU at 3.00 GHz, 2.0 GB of RAM, and is running MS Windows XP Media Edition, V 2002, with SP3.

I have followed your instructions as follows:
1. Install TRS09 and check it out. It runs fine by itself.
2. Download SP1 and install it. It finds TRS09 and initiates the patch process.
a. I wait patiently for the installation to run completely; i.e., until the installer says installation is complete.
b. I run Launcher. Each time there has been NO message telling me to repair the database.
c. I select “Content”. After entering my username and password, CM2 runs and shows both installed items and the DLS. (Note: Each time I’ve gone through this process over the last few days, I’ve gotten a different count of items on the DLS. For example, current count indicates 87,718 of 100,602 items displayed. Previous count was 81,687 of 113,142 items displayed. ?!?!?)
d. Each time the task bar says “Ready.” It has NEVER said “Repairing Database.”
e. I try to initiate database repair by selecting “Extended Database Repair” under “File.” There has never been any kind of response. Nothing happens. (ditto with “Quick Database Repair”)
f. I exit CM2.
3. On some occasions, I run Launcher again and select “Options” to set the proper display settings for my monitor (1680 x 1050).
4. I run Launcher one more time and select “Start” to run TRS09.
a. The screen goes blank then comes back on with a picture of a train (or some other picture from the TRS09 gallery).
b. And then it ends and I’m back at my desktop.
In the past I’ve gotten error messages such as “The instruction at ‘0x003ee36c’ referenced memory at ‘0x00000000.’ The memory could not be written” or “The application failed to initiate properly (0xc0000142)” or “Process exited with error code 1073741819” or “This application failed to start because Water System_7c.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.” Most of the time I don't get any kind of error message at all. It just stops and drops me back at the desktop.
This has been going on for the last 10 days and I am getting very frustrated. They say that insanity is when you keep doing the same thing expecting a different outcome. I may be going insane.

Every other piece of software I have ever installed on this computer (including TRS06 with SP1 and TRS04 plus all SPs) have installed with NO problems. What gives?

Back