Outdoor O scale?

Jimmyp4

Hello

I have been collecting O scale for years now and I ran out of room to build indoors. With my HO layout starting to take up the room I have had to store my O scale stuff.

Awhile ago I built a O scale layout outdoors using my lionel fast track, with disasterous results. The track rusted and kinked, leaving me with only a circle of operable Lionel fast-track and too much equipment.

I was wondering, Is there a way to PROPERLY do this in 3-rail?

Though somebody will no doubt come along and prove me wrong, I seriously doubt it. From the start O scale never really was intended for use as an outdoor-useable sort of scale, which is why most garden railroaders (myself included) go for G scale or 1 scale. Otherwise I think your best bet would be to find some more than usually imaginative way at storing your O scale in such a way that it doesn't go outside.

WileeCoyote:D

Unless you plan to tear down your track constantly, I dont think there is any way to do it

Granted, I dont use O Scale, I have HO and G Scale, and a small collection of N scale (2 engines about 8 cars). I have had pretty good luck with G scale, using Aristocraft Brass track, if they make brass track for O scale, you may be able to leave it outside, but all I have ever seen is silver and steel track, which as you learned, rusts.

Even using my Aristocraft track, I still have problems. Dogs pooping on my track, the constant wear and tear from the weather leaves me constant cleaning, and since I do not yet have my power cord buried, I have to take down that and my Transformer after each used.

I would say O scale is a No go. I cant see any way to make it last outside

it is possible to use any gauge you wish outdoors, I have a friend who runs his OO gauge outdoors even in torrential rain, so long as your power supplies and controller are inside and you clean the track at the begining of every session you should have no problems, the only water not to get on the track or loco's is tap water becuase it is treated and the chemicals attack the track and workings

I run O scale in the garden but I use brass or nickel silver track from peco, this is 2 rail DC power not 3 rail AC. I also use the old 1 1/4 inch scale not the newer Aussie O scale at all

Back