Old DEMS and software to convert them...

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
I was digging through old CDs a week or so ago and found the Vistapro DEM disc which contains a bunch of DEM files. I tried importing them into TransDEM to see what they looked like but they aren't directly readable by TransDEM even though they have a DEM extension. After checking on the web to find a converter to translate these files, and others too, into a readable format I came across this program called AccuTrans 3D.

http://www.micromouse.ca/index.html

The software comes with a free fully-working trial with a purchase option. The purchase option is $20.00 CAD, which turned out to be $15.23 USD. A nice purchase that didn't break the bank.

What's really cool too is there is no installation required like a lot of programs with online registration requirements, etc. The program installs by unzipping the zip file into a folder. The programmer even says it does nothing to the registry either, which is rare these days, given how many programs dump everything into the Windows registry.

Back to the old Vistapro DEM files.

These are different famous places around the globe such as Alaska, Appalachian Mountains, Mars, places in Australia, and many other places and unique things such as some fractals. The DEM files are in very tiny slices and are quite low resolution, although, they do come into Trainz quite nice. I tried a couple of quick tests with a few of them before I purchased the software.

Image_1.jpg2020-08-28 011024.jpg

And here we are. I chose DEM called 2011US.dem and imported into the program. I then exported it as an .asc and imported that into TransDEM for processing. I then exported that to a Trainz route and imported that into TRS2019-Plus.

The end result is useful. The DEMs are small and are 9 x 9 baseboards square at 10 meter grid. These come in without textures, but are great for fictional routes because the terrain is already there for adding in a route.

AccuTrans 3D also imports and exports various 3d formats for those that are interested in converting files from on format to the other.

Thanks John, I had Vista Pro for the Amiga back in the days. It was a great program. I'll check out AccuTrans 3D, it might help me import some of my old 3D creations from Lightwave 3D.

William

Nice find, John. I also had VistaPro back in the day. I like this better than the "hit or miss" nature of displacement maps for fantasy routes.
Ron

Yay I found out just now that I can get Vistapro 4 to work on Windows 10! I can now generate some terrain and make some routes out of it. With this setup, who knows what's instore now. :)

Back in the day, I used Vistapro for hours, but at the same time it took forever to render even a tiny image on my P2 or 486 that I ran it on. The rendering is much faster now of course, but not as fast as I would expect.

I now plan on trying Bryce models and see how they convert.

Back