NS Dash 9-44CWs?

NSguy999

Delaware Railfan
I am not that informed but is NS now converting some of their Dash 9-40CWs' to Dash9-44CWs? or have they been around cause I've only seen Dash 9-40cws'
Here is one I spotted on NS 12G. The bogies on the engine seem to be freshly painted and probably been upgraded to some extent. So could someone tell me whats going on here. I am quite confused :confused:

Just for the rest of us, how do you even determine the diff externally btwn a 40 and a 44? I always thought it was just an increase in engine rpm with no indicators at all.

Just for the rest of us, how do you even determine the diff externally btwn a 40 and a 44? I always thought it was just an increase in engine rpm with no indicators at all.

Because it says so under the engine number located on the cab. :)

John

NSguy,

altoonaworks.info, nslocos.com and nsdash9.com are great sources of info for NS, their loco's and rebuild programs etc.

Regards,
Jordan

Last edited:
Literally, all it is is a flip of a switch. There is a switch in the cab that will give the locomotive full output of a C44-9w if needed in a hurry.

EDIT:

read here, this will help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Dash_9-40CW

Except that unlike the wiki entry states, the switch is not something the engineer is able to access (and still be following the rules). These 'switches' could be operated with a key and the mechanical dpt should only have access to them not the crews. I do believe that they could put a crewmember oos for tampering with that.

I seem to recall being told by a CSX engineer who ran a few of these that there is a breakable seal over the switch... that if broken it would get the crew called in on the carpet for an explanation.... it would be cool to hear more about this.

All the upgrading was done when the units were shopped for their 184 day maintenance cycle, as noted form nsdash9.com. So upgrading was done by the maintenance dept.

Right but the switch is not in the cab, and it isn't something the engineer could always just flip when they wanted, which is what the wiki makes it seem like.

Back