Newbie-very basic help

10dollarBill

Some of this may be not understanding the terminology, or it may just be that I'm excessively dense:
This is my second day with Trainz and my first go at a non-tutorial session..
I'm running the Hawes Branch Freight session.
First basic question: should I assume that a Guard Van (caboose) always has to be at the end of the train? So if the session instructions say to drop off the caboose in siding 'A" (where there already sits the coal cars to be picked up), drop the cattle cars in siding "B" -then go back and pick up the Guard Van and coal cars - If I just back into siding "A" I'll connect to the Guard Van with the coal cars behind it. This seems wrong to me. Should I be maneuvering between the sidings so the caboose ends up at the back?
Second basic question: once this train is assembled the session says to "run around the loop" (this I'm assuming so as to change direction so I can go back from whence I came...). Trouble is there isn't an actual loop (where I can drive in one direction and turn around). Though there are sidings which are labeled with 'loop' as part of the name. The only way I can see to actually turn around is if I leave the consist in a "siding" that has an 'exit' in the forward direction (not so much a siding as a bypass), then back into the turntable, turn around and then back into and re-couple at the other end of the train (which would actually make sense if I had picked up the Guard Van in front of the coal cars - cause now it would be at the back)...
I just want to make sure I'm not missing something extremely obvious or am so unfamiliar with the terminology that I am not really understanding what I am reading...
Oh, maybe someone can suggest a "Railcar maneuvering for Dummies" text.
thanks...
10$bill

Some of this may be not understanding the terminology, or it may just be that I'm excessively dense:
This is my second day with Trainz and my first go at a non-tutorial session..
I'm running the Hawes Branch Freight session.
First basic question: should I assume that a Guard Van (caboose) always has to be at the end of the train? So if the session instructions say to drop off the caboose in siding 'A" (where there already sits the coal cars to be picked up), drop the cattle cars in siding "B" -then go back and pick up the Guard Van and coal cars - If I just back into siding "A" I'll connect to the Guard Van with the coal cars behind it. This seems wrong to me. Should I be maneuvering between the sidings so the caboose ends up at the back?
Second basic question: once this train is assembled the session says to "run around the loop" (this I'm assuming so as to change direction so I can go back from whence I came...). Trouble is there isn't an actual loop (where I can drive in one direction and turn around). Though there are sidings which are labeled with 'loop' as part of the name. The only way I can see to actually turn around is if I leave the consist in a "siding" that has an 'exit' in the forward direction (not so much a siding as a bypass), then back into the turntable, turn around and then back into and re-couple at the other end of the train (which would actually make sense if I had picked up the Guard Van in front of the coal cars - cause now it would be at the back)...
I just want to make sure I'm not missing something extremely obvious or am so unfamiliar with the terminology that I am not really understanding what I am reading...
Oh, maybe someone can suggest a "Railcar maneuvering for Dummies" text.
thanks...
10$bill

Hi Bill,

The easist explanation is......you should try running the Hawes freight version "Passive" first......The complete scenario will run automatically and you can see exactly what you are supposed to do including all the manoeuvres.....then try the session for real :)

Hope this helps.

Paul

Thanks Paul, that answered those questions plus a few others I hadn't thought of yet....
And now to try to do it for real...
Are we havin' a laugh?
-10$bill

Railway terminology can be a problem, especially as it differs so much between Australia, Britain and the USA. Add in general computer jargon and specific Trainz terms and it can all get rather confusing. As you're discovering, with Trainz there's a lot to learn but it's all good fun.

If you need to look up the meaning of a term try the Razorback's glossary (free access, no registration or login required) or Wikipedia, the free general online encyclopedia written by its users.

A loop can mean a real loop, i.e. a circle of track. This design is occasionally used at the end of a line to enable trains to turn round. There's an example at the Starr Gate southern end of the Blackpool (England) Fylde Coast tram system (Google Earth shows it very nicely).

However, it is far more common for the word "loop" to refer to a parallel section of track alongside the main track, used to allow locomotives to run around their trains, for one train to pass another, to park rolling stock which isn't currently being used, etc. In this sense it's often called a passing loop.

Hope this helps a bit, John

Last edited:
Back