My model railroad

Jimmyp4

(I'm taking a hint since it was removed from Screenshots)
ScannedImage.jpg

Heres the layout I'm building in my barn loft.
Overview
This tour starts on the far north town of Georgetown (know as 4x8 custom in the map). In Georgetown there are 3 industries, The Budweiser beer plant, a Scrap yard, and a UPS shipping facility (in older operating sessions it will be an REA depot). The layout follows track marking procedures used on the Surfline from San Diego to Los Angeles, Georgetown is CP Ash.
The track heads towards suburbia (2x8 custom) where Colorado Cereal Products is located. Kilkin yard (next to Colorado Cereal Products) used to be the switching yard for the area until the nearby Elvira yard took over. This is now the Railroad museum. Suburbia is CP fryer.
The railroad then enters the EX-Soo line Red Wing Division, where the newer Elvira yard is located (CP Elvira [duh]) , as well as the interchange with the UP (SP in older days). The town of Falcon resides 2 miles (feet) from the yard and contains 3 industries, a grain elevator, a dairy ,and a milling company. Falcon is CP Eagle (strange but it works)
Then the track heads into the mountains (unmodeled), to the town of Contoocook (CP Pines) in Contoocook there are several industries crammed into a small space, A team track for goods to all over town, Klambach Publishing (creator of Model Railroad magazine), A distributing Plant for K12 (the online school I go to), and the coke plant.
Passenger Trains
In the modern day Georgetown station is unserved except by the Railway museum trains. But in older operating sessions, SP ran a short branch service from Oakland into Georgetown. Falcon is served by Caltrain, and Coaster in the modern day. In the 1950’s the UP’s City of Oakland ran a few through cars into Falcon. (Gives me an excuse to buy those TERRIBLY EXPENSIVE Rapido coaches).
Railroad Museum (Old Yard)
The museum runs trains on Saturday and Sunday on a regular basis from there yard platform to the Georgetown Depot and back. On a rare extended service run (typically on a fairly quiet day for mainline service) The trains will run as far as the Falcon depot. On the Excursion trains, they have full run over the layout.
History (Brief)
In 1910 the City of Georgetown Chartered the Georgetown and Southern Railway or the G&S for short, to link the town to the city of Oakland, 50 miles away. Construction began on Oct 4, 1911. Over the next 11 months construction progressed along at a fairly good pace. But as they approached Oakland they hit a Problem, Both the Union Pacific and Southern Pacific had trackage rights into Oakland and where blocking the G&S from entering. Until 1940 there was just a simple interchange with the Southern Pacific and Union Pacific. But in-between those times some amazing things happened a branch line to a city called Apache was built, the G&S was rolling in money faster then they could spend it. But then came Black Tuesday and the great depression. Many of the businesses the G&S served where going out of bissness. Soon the G&S went bankrupt and service ending as the Georgetown and Southern Railway took the last exit, stage right. After the depression was over the citizens of Georgetown wanted to re-build the railroad, but it had gone so deep into Debt during the depression there was no hope. The branch to Apache had been completely destroyed by the neglectance by the railroad (it would never be rebuilt). But then San Francisco railroad Contractor A. D. Schrader (who also saved the real Yreka railroad after the depression) bought the trackage and created a new company the Georgetown & Southern Railroad (Railroad instead of Railway [they do this in the real world, why? I dunno]). The original engines where phased out and newer 2-6-0’s and 2-8-0’s replaced the aging 4-4-0’s and 0-4-0’s (most of which reside at the Georgetown Railroad Museum), Newer (well less ancient) equipment was purchased from other railroads and service resumed. Then in 1940, the Soo Line railroad put their Red Wing Division up for sale, the line was less then profitable but the G&S bought it any whey. This gave them access to Oakland they have been looking for in the past 30 Years. Service was going great, but the original yard in Georgetown was reserved for car storage and the newer Elvira yard was put into use. Then in 1942 the G&S bought there first Diesel engine, a RS-3 from the American Locomotive Company (ALCO). Although Diesels where more efficient and easy to maintain, the G&S stayed with steam until the very end. In fact they received the final steam engine built by Baldwin Locomotive works, 2-8-0 #15 was delivered on March 12, 1954 ending the More then 100 Years of Baldwin’s History. Although the G&S was dedicated to Steam it knew Dieselization was in the future, they just resisted changes longer then others (taken off of the Norfolk & Westerns Idea of steam). In 1950 the G&S built an expansion to the town of Peyton (Un-modeled) where it met up with the Contoocook Railway (this will be important later on). In 1955 it lost its rights into Oakland and once again was left with an interchange with the SP (later UP). With the advent of Air Travel and the popular automobile rail travel declined sharply. In 1956 the G&S cancelled Passenger Service to Georgetown. 1961 was a year of great changes for the G&S, It retired its steamers and then merged with the Contoocook Railroad to form the Georgetown and Contoocook Railroad (G&C). The line ran as normal until 1971 when Amtrak took over all passenger service, Union Pacific’s City of Oakland through cars no longer came in the way, allowing them to pick up service even higher.(until Caltrain and Coaster came around any whey) In 1975 Caltrain began service from San Francisco. But in 1997 the G&C lost an ally, Union Pacific bought out the Southern Pacific, also in 1997 Coaster began service to Falcon. In 2000 the G&C installed the new CP location system on the route. Then last but not least, in 2007 the G&S Purchased is first New engine (before they had always been used) a GEVO (GE evolution series) the ES40DC (The only other Purchaser being Norfolk Southern) to run heavier trains. It also followed the same logic as NS, being a short-line the ES40DC seemed a better option then the ES44DC as it didn’t need that much horse power and the 4000HP didn’t wear out as fast as the 4400HP engine on the ES44DC.

I don’t have any picture of my WIP yet but I will get some.

And I went and got some pictures of completed Red Wing Divison and Contoocook layouts.
The Contoocook
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/Jimmyp4/ScannedImage3.jpg
The cover of the Contoocooks layout book
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/Jimmyp4/ScannedImage2.jpg
Contoocook overview
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/Jimmyp4/ScannedImage4.jpg
Contoocook Picture
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/Jimmyp4/ScannedImage5.jpg
The book I got the Red Wing Divison (and the Yule Central) out of
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/Jimmyp4/ScannedImage6.jpg
Red Wing Overview
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/Jimmyp4/ScannedImage7.jpg
More Red Wing
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/Jimmyp4/ScannedImage8.jpg
Track plan (upside Down)

So thats what about 3/4 of my layout should look like when I'm done

Haha, the "Warbonnet" set...I sold about 50 of those to different customers at my local hobby shop, which I (volunteer) work at. I'm unpaid, but WHO CARES?! :hehe: I get paid in TRAINS! I've had my eye on a Marklin Trix ALCo PA1-PA1 set in HO scale...DCC, sound, BRASS...$498.99 cash. 4 weeks straight up work with no other trains payment and it's MINE!

Dang lucky you are!

Jimmy4P
One question to ask before you attempt to construct this monstrosity.
Is this your first time building one, in regards to everything that has to be done(benchwork, track-laying, wiring, scenery, operation)?
If so, dont start so big. Go smaller!
That Redwood layout would fit much better than something of the monstrosity you wish to build.
Always remember this Model Railroaders slogan:
Start Small; Dream Big.
Cheers,
Sean

[Qoute]Dang lucky you are!

Jimmy4P
One question to ask before you attempt to construct this monstrosity.
Is this your first time building one, in regards to everything that has to be done(benchwork, track-laying, wiring, scenery, operation)?
If so, dont start so big. Go smaller!
That Redwood layout would fit much better than something of the monstrosity you wish to build.
Always remember this Model Railroaders slogan:
Start Small; Dream Big.
Cheers,
Sean[qoute]
Is this my first layout? NO! This would be like my tweleth. I helped them wire up the model railroad club downtown, moved a switch control panel ,and have installed DCC into numerous engines (none of which where mine). This will be easy.

Back