Multiplayer? Downloading slow as heck?

asbuster

Hey all,

ive got a bit of an issue here. I want to play multiplayer, so i figured out they should be in my routes. So i checked my routes and nothing there, just the singleplayer routes. So i went back on the internet to figure out how to get it to work. I found out that i needed to download all the content updates in order to do so, however theres a HUGE list of updates in there, and most of the time it gets stuck on a mod after a bit. So ive tried the Download Manager. However this has a few issues:

First i have to search all the mods that were in the Content Updates myself, which is a HUGE pain in the ass. Second, it doesnt download all the mods required, last time i tried it kept searching for independancies for 1 hour straight. Third of all when it does download it downloads VERY SLOW.

So the only option that seems to be "ok" is by searching the mods on the Download Station website. However this too goes very slow as im only able to download 2 things at a time....

So how the heck am i supposed to download these content updates at a decent rate? I have read about the First Class Ticket to up the download speed on the download manager but there simply is NO WAY in hell im going to pay AGAIN for a game i already bought just to be able to play online...

Hope you guys can help me a bit because i REALLY want to play this online..

I have read about the First Class Ticket to up the download speed on the download manager but there simply is NO WAY in hell im going to pay AGAIN for a game i already bought just to be able to play online...

The only way to up the speed is with a FCT. There is NO other way.

Don't bother downloading updates via Content Manager unless the in-game option refuses. Why? Because downloading updates via the in-game option does NOT count against your daily maximum of 100mb. Note that a FCT removes that maximum.

My advice is to turn on the in-game update download and the minimize that box. You can play around in the game while this downloads. Also I advice you to just let it run over night; it is slow (5kb/sec), but who cares if it does that while you are sleeping.

Once your frustration about the speed builds up high enough, you will buy a FCT ;). I got myself a life-time version, which costs about 1 cent per day.

Hey all,

ive got a bit of an issue here. I want to play multiplayer, so i figured out they should be in my routes. So i checked my routes and nothing there, just the singleplayer routes. So i went back on the internet to figure out how to get it to work. I found out that i needed to download all the content updates in order to do so, however theres a HUGE list of updates in there, and most of the time it gets stuck on a mod after a bit. So ive tried the Download Manager. However this has a few issues:

First i have to search all the mods that were in the Content Updates myself, which is a HUGE pain in the ass. Second, it doesnt download all the mods required, last time i tried it kept searching for independancies for 1 hour straight. Third of all when it does download it downloads VERY SLOW.

So the only option that seems to be "ok" is by searching the mods on the Download Station website. However this too goes very slow as im only able to download 2 things at a time....

So how the heck am i supposed to download these content updates at a decent rate? I have read about the First Class Ticket to up the download speed on the download manager but there simply is NO WAY in hell im going to pay AGAIN for a game i already bought just to be able to play online...

Welcome to the forums.

As oknotsen has stated, a First Class Ticket is the only way of increasing the download speed, and is a must for Multiplayer as otherwise it may take a while to download the required dependencies.

The in-game Content Updates feature may be slightly quicker, but ultimately a FCT will allow you to download up to 1MB/s, which is a lot quicker than the free option, and also supports N3V in the process as First Class Tickets are what helps pay for both the free and the FCT servers.

Shane

Shane

Ok i guess i could let it download while im playing. However id HAVE to keep checking it since, as i said, it keeps stopping to download at certain mods/content. So having it download all night is pretty much out of the question. No use having it downloading all night just to come back seeing it hasnt downloaded more than 2 maybe 3 mods.

I do have to say that its pretty bad for a game to require you to download ****loads of mods just to play online.

Ok i guess i could let it download while im playing. However id HAVE to keep checking it since, as i said, it keeps stopping to download at certain mods/content. So having it download all night is pretty much out of the question. No use having it downloading all night just to come back seeing it hasnt downloaded more than 2 maybe 3 mods.

I do have to say that its pretty bad for a game to require you to download ****loads of mods just to play online.
They are updates not mods, and this is done so that all players have the exact same items and things do not get out of sync while playing.

Yeah i know that.... but that wasnt my problem.... the slow downloading however is.
The solution to the slow downloading is buying a FCT.
I think the slow downloading is not your problem. Not willing to pay for a FCT seems to be your problem ;). I am paying about 1 cent per day with the life-time FCT I got during a discount. I advice you to do something similar.

I have found that there are some updates you cant get via the in game updater, and that might be your problem. These updates how ever are for routes or sessions. So if your getting an update for a car, that will work. But if say the game is trying to update a route, it might fail that update. Most of the times I have seen it just red bar the asset, then continue on.

But really, look into getting an FTC. Even if you only buy a 3 month. The major routes and sessions that are used in mp are well over 300mp of content. Meaning at the 100mb daily limit, it might take you 3-5 days to get every thing. (MRL I think it the smallest download at close to 300mb)

My problem isnt not being willing to buy an FTC, i think it is worthless to buy a game in the stores and having to pay for some decent download speeds. Its the same reason i dont pay for those download sites. Its complete nonesense to me. And even if i were willing to buy an FTC, i simply do not have the money for it.

@JIb228, My ingame asset updater isnt stalling on routes or sessions. Currently its stalling on CHS trains and 2TE116 trains. Also Bogeys seem to be a problem.

If you cant live with the low download speed and are not willing to pay for higher speed, see if you can return the game.

I waited 4 months before buying a FCT. I downloaded all updates and most of the massive routes. Having patience helps, complaining does not.

We are more then happy to help you any other problem you might find in the game, but I hope you figured out by now what the choices are around speed, that only the price of it changes every now and then and that those on the forum are only trying to help you.

Who said i was complaining? Just trying to look for a solution....

Also i checked the payment options for FCT and i couldnt buy one even if i wanted to. I dont have a credit card or Paypal. So that ends that.

You dont need all the assets to be updated for MP to work. Only the assets that the route and session use need to be up to date. So if you have UMR or MRL downloaded and try to play them, the game will see that some of the assets are out of date. And it should attempt to update them right there.

I used to be of the same school of thought. "I bought this game, why would I pay more for it?" But then I got a JR locomotive and thought to my self. "Worth it." Then I got an FTC and found it is totally worth it. I dont ever really download a lot, but some times a tree of building will catch my eye and I have to have it. And the FTC makes it nice to just pull it down. But if you feel like buying an FTC or paying for a nicer locomotive form JR is stupid or pointless, go take a look at Railworks and its $2224.03 worth of DLC
. And as far as I can tell, you need it all to really play that sim. But I digress....

If i could figure out how to gift an FTC I might be able and willing to do such a thing. But I'm sure you'll do as many of us have. Sit there with out one for a long time, then once you've played for hours and hours of Trainz you'll think to your self, "I paid $40 for this, and got way more bang for my buck. So that $12 FTC or that $5 JR loco might be worth it." At least that's what my thought process was.

lol $40? i payed 20 Euros for it. $2224.03 for a single game is INSANE. Does give you nice ammount of DLC i recon.

Good to know you can download what you want JIB, unfortunetly im not quite the same. Yes ill see stuff id like, trains mostly, or tanks maybe, but if its too expensive for me to get then im not gonna get it. However i do like this game alot which is why im bummed out i couldnt play multiplayer without downloading a heap of these updates. At the moment my Download Manager is slowly downloading the stuff (managed to start the manager aswell as the game so i could search the updates from the game and put them in the manager). Ill check it from time to time to see if its still downloading.

Anyways ill check that guest checkout out, dont expect it to work.

(EDIT: Yeah Paypal wont work. It takes me directly to the payment page where i need to create an account or log in. Also read that a paypal guest account still requires a credit card.)

Last edited:
Paypal will accept most debit cards as well, as well as some pre-pay cards. You should be able to access the guest checkout option through the create account process.

I'd also like to know where the $2000+ figure came from. A 1 year ticket is about $24.95AUD, and there are cheaper options (right down to a month).

Shane

$2000+ would be for all the DLC in Railworks. (I clicked "add all to cart" then looked at the total.) Its $55 for Railworks and a few things, less then a quarter of what you get with Trainz. I paid $40 for Trainz 12 when it came out.

For FTCs, the cheapest I see is a 3 moth for $12.

Yeah.... i dont have any cards of that sort. No credit cards, no debit cards. Just my bank card, which cant be used to pay online. So an FTC is not in it for me sadly :(

Back