MetroUK: Why did we cancel trains? Er, our crew can’t walk (Worst excuse ever??)

Red_Rattler

Since 09 May 2003
http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/13/why-d...the-worst-excuse-yet-for-rail-delays-4564363/

Why did we cancel trains? Er, our crew can’t walk… Is this the worst excuse yet for rail delays?
Thursday 13 Mar 2014 9:38 pm

A new excuse was added to the list of reasons for rail delays this week.

London Midland cancelled two rush-hour trains – because the crews were banned from walking.

Ticket conductors were making a 1km (half-mile) journey from Birmingham Snow Hill station to New Street in a taxi when it broke down in a busy tunnel.

They were forbidden from completing the journey by foot – which would have taken ten minutes – because they had ticket machines and the day’s takings on them.

It meant the 17.49 to Hereford and the 17.59 to Great Malvern were cancelled on Tuesday. Hundreds of passengers were delayed and then had to board busy trains later on.

Computer science student Daniel Mander, 19, was stuck down the line at University station and his journey home to Bromsgrove was delayed by 40 minutes. He wrote to London Midland on Twitter: ‘Could you please pass on that it is generally quicker to walk between the two stations!’

Mr Mander, who pays £275 for a three-month rail ticket, told the Birmingham Mail: ‘The two stations are a five-minute walk apart. With the traffic in the city centre I would imagine that it takes longer by taxi.

‘A lot of other commuters are getting extremely fed up of the poor service from London Midland.’

A London Midland spokesman said: ‘We have a responsibility as an employer for our employees’ health and safety.

‘If they got mugged and robbed, people would be asking, “Why did you let them get out and walk?”.’

The train operator apologised to irate customers for the ‘isolated incident’

Last edited:
Can they guarantee the safety of the rail employee's who potentially could be carrying a lot of takings on them . Rules and regulations are in place to ensure the safety of employees at all times . Would I walk around Birmingham with that sort of cash on me .... er NO !!
Would any of the passengers who complained walk through Birmingham city centre with that sort of cash .... I doubt it very much . There's a reason why armed guards deliver cash in armoured vehicles .
I know for a fact that there has been multiple cases of traincrew being mugged on the walk between those stations in the past , that's why the taxi's are provided.

I am curious; how many people pay for their rail trips by cash these days?

Over here, cash payment has almost been completely phased out. All modes of public transport use smart cards, longer intercity trips are often paid for online by Paypal/CC or ATM card at the train station itself. eTickets can be printed at home and allows for priority boarding over "regular" tickets. The "money train" no longer exists.

Over here, cash payment has almost been completely phased out. All modes of public transport use smart cards, longer intercity trips are often paid for online by Paypal/CC or ATM card at the train station itself. eTickets can be printed at home and allows for priority boarding over "regular" tickets. The "money train" no longer exists.

In the UK probably quite a lot, last time I caught a train locally I was the only person in the queue, who didn't pay by cash. We are not entirely plastic yet. As for eTickets, not everyone has computers, printers or even credit or debit cards.

The way I personally see it is that Metro UK (as well as other related news sites) were seriously irresponsible by publishing details of that incident, as it could put other ticket collectors at risk.

Some may see it as Health and Safety gone mad, but I personally see it that personal safety should never be compromised in cases like that, even if it means cancellation of services (and yes, the company mentioned in the article is the train company that operates my local station).

Shane

It's still quite common in the UK although there are plenty of non-cash options available. I use cash on local trains but if I'm visiting London, I use Oyster and e-tickets for the airport express trains.

The way I personally see it is that Metro UK (as well as other related news sites) were seriously irresponsible by publishing details of that incident, as it could put other ticket collectors at risk.

Some may see it as Health and Safety gone mad, but I personally see it that personal safety should never be compromised in cases like that, even if it means cancellation of services (and yes, the company mentioned in the article is the train company that operates my local station).

Shane

That's what I was thinking. Our conductors carry cash with while they collect fares at the outlying stations and from those people who don't get a ticket before boarding at a station with a ticket clerk. These people though end up paying an extra surcharge for that. Given that some of the areas where the train travels are not exactly safe, it's best that they crew remain on the train or taxied away with the fare box.

John

Back