Lost files in trainz 2006

Relick

:'( Guy's I spent most of a day laying track, placing buildings etc and have lost the whole lot.. I went through the usual save process and this morning there is nothing there. Not even a hint of the saved route name. Can some body tell me where the saved files are usualy kept and how can I get the back (if possible). Right now I am really disalusioned with 2006 and I am not inclined to buy 2009 in case the same sort of thing happens. I never had a problem with the original trainz v 1.3.

I'm stuck in a wheelchair and basicaly all I can do is sit infront of my computer most of the day.

Relick,

Welcome to the Forum , sorry your first thread is such a downer .
Have you opened CMP and looked for it there ?
You could try a search for help on the subject and/or read the FAQ thread in the TRS2006 forum .
Or you can wait for more help , if you indeed saved it , it should be recoverable ?

HTH --- , DLR

Sorry about your route.
I've got TRS2006, TRS2009 and TRS Classics First and Second edition, and I have never encountered any problems like that before.

I hope you find your route that dissapeared!

Oh yes, it's happened to me and several others. The map is likely still in the database; I've had one reappear after a month! I recommend one of two courses of action: either do nothing, or delete your assets.tdx file from your 06 folder, and then start 06 again and wait until it re-compiles the database.

Last edited:
Hi Relick,

Welcome to the forums and let's see if we can sort this out.
After laying track did you go into "driver" and run something? If so this would have saved the layout as it was at that stage, if not you would have been given the option to save when exiting surveyor. In either case it should have saved your work. The only other thing that could have happened is if you clicked on "savegame" from the top menu which would mean you have to look in "saved sessions" in the driver option on the launch screen.
Also remember that unlike Trainz 1.3 in TRS2006 you should click on surveyor at the launch screen instead of clicking on driver as you do in Trainz 1.3.

Hope this helps.
Bill69

Hi Guy's. thank for your suggestions. I have delletted the assets.tdx and re started. nothing found.

I have tried Bill69's suggestions and agin nothing found.

I am wondering if this may be a windows vista problem (my desktop). I'll install 2006 fresh on my laptop (running XP Pro) and see what happens.

Also I am confused with the "Content Manager" as it will start to D/L an update and then just sit there for hours doing nothing. If I stop the d/l process and start it again, the file will continue to d/l and then start the next d/l which will start and then stop again. Maybe it's just me. .

Thanks again for your help.

Ray

more and more disalusioned with 2006

:( OK, I am almost ready to chuck 2006 and 2004 away and go back to ver 1.3. Something is really weird.. I can spend hours making a route and loose it all for no apparent reason. I have just loaded 2006 and gone into surveyor and tried to load the route I was working on. I got a black screen with alot of foriegn language on it. I closed the screen down and restarted, again the same screen came up. It was working fine this morning and all I have down is loaded and run "Content Manager" which incidentialy stpped responding as it usually does. Yesterday I copied all of TRS2006 local directory to my backup drive for safety. So I hope I can just re copy that to the working directory. What I really want to know is what is going on. Downloading using content manager seems to stuff up everything and is so slow that I'll die of old age before the updates are installed. When content manager does work, TRS2006 always tells me that the content is not committed (WHY?) and how do I solve this hassle? I would love to try TRS2009 but with the hassles of 2006, I am just not going to spend my cash. btw, I am not an idot with computers as I am a qualified technician and also a website designer. Can some one please help me with this. Thanks... Ray.

Have you installed ANYTHING on your PC lately that may be suspect? Anything at all?
This may also be a virus or some other malicious software.

Keep a backup safe and be sure to rule out the possibility of malicious software before you restore it.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Have you installed ANYTHING on your PC lately that may be suspect? Anything at all?
This may also be a virus or some other malicious software.

Keep a backup safe and be sure to rule out the possibility of malicious software before you restore it.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Thanks, but no i haven't installed anything on my pc other than what ever "Content Manager" has installed.

I,m running a fully regged and upto date antivirus (McAffe).

There are certain ways that TRS06 needs to be set up to work OK with Vista (administrator privileges for certain files). There is a thread on the forum elsewhere that gives full details.

Items that are not committed can be found in the 'Open for Edit' tab in CMP. Highlight and then commit them with CTRL-M.

CMP is slow downloading unless you have a first class ticket from Auran. It's a bandwidth thing...

If you know about when you saved your route you should be able to find out if the folder is present in your TRS06 local folder. IF no folder is created, then the save has failed, so it could be a Vista permissions thing. If it is there, than you can copy the folder to the desktop and use the import content option in CMP to re-import it.

Hope some of this helps...

Paul

There are certain ways that TRS06 needs to be set up to work OK with Vista (administrator privileges for certain files). There is a thread on the forum elsewhere that gives full details.

Items that are not committed can be found in the 'Open for Edit' tab in CMP. Highlight and then commit them with CTRL-M.

CMP is slow downloading unless you have a first class ticket from Auran. It's a bandwidth thing...

If you know about when you saved your route you should be able to find out if the folder is present in your TRS06 local folder. IF no folder is created, then the save has failed, so it could be a Vista permissions thing. If it is there, than you can copy the folder to the desktop and use the import content option in CMP to re-import it.

Hope some of this helps...

Paul

Many Thanks.

I have just uninstalled 2006, done a regisrty scan, a junk file removal, etc and reinstalled 2006. I will play for a while with TRS2006 in it's straight from the disc mode and see if anything go's wrong. (I have had v 1.3 for a way too long and my wife bought me Trainz Collection UTC, 2004 & 2006 (something for me to do whilst recovering from major spinal surgery). Maybe it's me, maybe it's the medications I'm taking? Another question I have if anyone can answer is "How to make a gradient up a hillside. I would like to actually make a zig zag on my route. Many thanks... Ray.

A few years ago I had the distinct pleasure of learning to fire and to drive a little Peckett Steam Locomotive. Which is now in restored condition and used at our local railway club. I have also drive a 1950's Drewry Diesel Shunter with a 3 speed mechanicl transmission. So I guse railways are in my blood.
:)

In the track tab at the bottom there is an advanced 'button'. This gives you extra controls with set height/get height and set gradient/get gradient tools, plus a few more to play with...

Paul

Problems solved.

:hehe: Seems that Windoze Vista is the culprit. After reading a few suggested posts, I changed all of the 06 .exe files to run under windoze xp emulation. Content manager now does it's bit without stopping etc. files seems to save and nothing has been lost tonight. Thanks to ALL of you that offered suggestions and advice. Cheers..:wave: and sorry for being a bug in the butt....

That's what we're here for - someone's always had the problem & solved it. Most here are only too keen to help...

Glad you fixed it.

Paul

questions about content manager plus.

Hi, Is it normal for content manager plus to stall between kuid's? I have spent almoust 11 hours trying to d/load ALL AMSTERDAM 3. Content manager d/loaded the first kuid and then just sat thre doing nothing for nearly 11 hours. I have not used my daily allocation of 100Mb and have 85Mb left for the period. If I manually stop the d/l and then restart the update will install and start on the next kuid. But if left alone 1 part will come down and nothing more. It's not a bandwith problem, although the d/load is slow I can live with that) but having to manualy stop and start is really annoying.

Is this normal or is there something wroung with my setup? I'm running a dual core AMD athlon 4800+ processor, 8 Gb Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 graphics card.

all suggestions and advice will be appriciated. Thanks.

Back