looking at upgrading GPU

BN1970

Trainz Plus Beta Tester
To my friends here with more GPU savvy than me (that's quite a few, lol)...I am running a Nvidia GTX 1060 and I am looking into upgrading to a ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 6G (Dual-RTX2060-06G-Evo). I have a pretty good price for one, but would the performance gains between the 1060 and 2060 justify spending 300-400 for the 2060?

[h=2][/h]

I'm on the 1060 as well, and its a wonderful card. But no. Not for $400. Its not going to be a drastic upgrade. I'd wait until the price of the 3060/ti comes back down to $400 msrp. The 3060ti is a much more significant upgrade at the same price, and will double your framerate in most games. 30fps on a 1060 will turn into 45-55 on a 2060, and around 75 on a 3060ti, but that depends on the game. Plus, the RTX 4000 series is already around the corner. I personally am waiting maybe a year or two when prices settle down before I upgrade my 1060 to anything.

Last edited:
I recently went from a GTX 1050Ti on a laptop to a RTX 3060Ti on a new desktop with increased RAM and a faster CPU. There was no comparison for speed, performance, FPS and reduction in "stuttering" (I can't recall experiencing any on the new machine) and all on a much bigger screen. No doubt some of this was due to the RAM and CPU updates but the GPU update has certainly made a big difference.

More recently I have upgraded my laptop to an RTX3050Ti also with increased RAM and a better CPU. I have noticed a similar improvement there.

I cannot speak for the RTX 2000 series of GPUs. The 3060 upgrade I purchased with the desktop was on special and only a few dollars more expensive than the 2060 that was offered as part of the basic model.

My observations.

I have an RTX 3070 matched with an Intel i9. The result is amazing.

BN1970 --

I suggest you look at some reviews of the RTX card. Most seem to report the RTX series is a significant improvement over the GTX.

Phil

I've been looking at new GPU cards too. The prices on the 30xx series are really dropping now that the crypto miners are moving on to other GPU solutions. Just be sure you are buying a new card and not a used one. Running at full power 24/7 can really cook a card in a short time.

This is my favorite channel for graphic card reviews. https://www.youtube.com/c/DawidDoesTechStuff

I've got a 2060 SUPER, and it's getting me 60 fps (I think) on Trainz on medium settings. When I build a new PC someday, I'll get a 3070 or 3080. By then, prices should be down with the RTX 4000 series out and I can get one in good time.

I see the RTX 2080S is still hanging in there at number 19. Not bad for a card I bought back in 2019. And seems to work really well with TRS22.

Paul

I'm running a 2070 ROG STRIX with a i7700 and everything works nice with the higest setting levels too.

Back