Location marker in Surveyor??

PDX_Mike

I seen to recall seeing a post somewhere about a position "marker" object that one could place on a map in Surveyor, that showed the lat.,long., & (I think) the elevation of the point on the map. Seems that it looked like a little surveyors transit with tripod.

Of course now I can't find either the object or the post. :(

I tried search, but came up empty.

Anyone remember this one?

If I understand the question correctly you will find Add Move World origin at the bottom of the World Tab selection in Surveyor
Regards, Bob V

Handle with care.

There are better technologies to transfer geo data to your Trainz route.

geophil

Give the Lat/Long reader a look:

Lat/Long reader
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Type:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]Trackside Accessories[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Downloaded:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]18428[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]File Size:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]29.07kb[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]File Type:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial].cdp[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Created by:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]martinvk[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Date:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]17th December 2004[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Version:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]TRS2004[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]KUID2:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]70337:23016:2[/FONT]

As I said: Handle with care.

Trainz uses a flat terrain, a plane. The surface of the earth is shaped differently as we may have noticed. Problem now, there is no single and universal transformation between the ellipsoidal surface of the earth and the flat plane. Such a transformation is called a map projection and there quite a few. Not much information is available about the one in Trainz and it would be quite surprising if it was identical to the one of a particular paper or online map.

geophil

Thanks guys. I knew I saw one somewhere... I guess the first oned I saw was in 2006 but since I've been working in 2004 for the past few weeks, I had forgotten that one. I'll take a look at the one for 2004 on the DLS.

GeoPhil... I was not looking to try to use it to transfer dem data. I have TransDEM for that :D . I was just looking for something I could use to get a rough idea of where I was while I was in Surveyor. I find that it's pretty easy to get immersed in Surveyor, and even with TransDEM I see something that interests me (in Surveyor), and I can't zoom far enough out to get my bearings...

I was not looking to try to use it to transfer dem data. I have TransDEM for that :D . I was just looking for something I could use to get a rough idea of where I was while I was in Surveyor. I find that it's pretty easy to get immersed in Surveyor, and even with TransDEM I see something that interests me (in Surveyor), and I can't zoom far enough out to get my bearings...

Orientation often is a problem, I agree with this.

Lat/Long-Reader might get you this rough idea you are looking for. We still don't know about the projection which Trainz is using internally. It could be simply orthographic, it could be anything. As you will know, TransDEM uses Transverse Mercator (UTM). The further away from the World Origin the greater the differences between the Trainz internal projection (Lat/Long Reader) and "UTM lat/long".

The minimap might also be helpful to provide some orientation if the ground textures reflect the topographic map.

geophil

Back