LINE AHEAD IS UNSIGNALLED

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
This is one thing that constantly plagues me when running sessions. Sometimes I run into this situation (see picture). When I highlight a signal I get a message that says: LINE AHEAD IS UNSIGNALLED Clearly there is a signal beyond the switch, but the train cannot move on because for some strange reason, the switch will not automatically throw. Is there a solution to this senario?

Hi Dave, just grasping at straws here but try moving that #4 closer to the switch and then placing a #5 just past the switch. Hope this helps,

Is that switch under AI control? The way it is set now, there really isn't a signal past the switch since the line ends at the switch. Can you manually throw the switch? If not, reverse the engine for a moment and then try to throw the switch.

I have also had some problems with switches (points) not throwing when they should. I don’t know what causes this. At times 2 trains compete for control of a switch with neither winning - causing trains to stack up behind the stuck trains.

Russell

As a temporary workaround: Go from Driver to Surveyor, move the switch in Surveyor, go back to Driver.

That helps sometimes, not always.

Regards
Swordfish

Yes it's an AI Train. I wouldn't have that problem if it were ME driving the loco. I'll try a few suggestions and see what happens.

Be sure all tracks are properly terminated with a bumper (which is an end-of-line "signal"). The bumper must be facing toward the oncoming train.

You can also try to have any other AI trains you have running "release junction" since one of them may be holding it in the undesired position. Just stopping the other AI train will *sometimes" release it.

Last edited:
How far is is the next signal that we don't see? Also have you tried adding a trackmark between the signals?

First let's get it out of the way that a signal can not "see" through a closed switch and the path ends at the closed junction, this is the reason for the unsignalled message.

Typically an internal operation sets this last junction as the target for the AI and it will try to operate the switch to improve the signal path. You can not simplify this situation more and no matter what you place beyond the junction it can never be seen until the junction is thrown by you or the ai driver. What you have to do in this case is find out why the AI isnt operating the switch as you said. If 2 or more trains have the same junction as their target, this might cause a struggle for control between them.

First let's get it out of the way that a signal can not "see" through a closed switch and the path ends at the closed junction, this is the reason for the unsignalled message.

Typically an internal operation sets this last junction as the target for the AI and it will try to operate the switch to improve the signal path. You can not simplify this situation more and no matter what you place beyond the junction it can never be seen until the junction is thrown by you or the ai driver. What you have to do in this case is find out why the AI isnt operating the switch as you said. If 2 or more trains have the same junction as their target, this might cause a struggle for control between them.

Thanks for your reply. Your explanation seems very plausible. No, there is only one train at the two lines in this "Y". I suppose this is just one of those situations where there's no definite solution.

I am reminded when I first started with Trainz, in T:ANE standard back in 2013 (HEY! I passed my 10th anniversary!). I was finishing one of the tutorials which meant switching into a yard, but the signal light would not change, and if I tried to run it the session would cancel because I was a bad boy. At that time, I posted here on the forums somewhere, and someone pointed out that you could somehow get information from the red signal about what other signal was causing it to stay red. I don't know if it was something with a right click, or how it worked exactly, but I was able to determine which junction had to be changed so that my signal would turn green, and I could proceed. Sorry I can't remember any more, but I am wondering if somehow you could use a similar method to see what is with the junction.

I am reminded when I first started with Trainz, in T:ANE standard back in 2013 (HEY! I passed my 10th anniversary!). I was finishing one of the tutorials which meant switching into a yard, but the signal light would not change, and if I tried to run it the session would cancel because I was a bad boy. At that time, I posted here on the forums somewhere, and someone pointed out that you could somehow get information from the red signal about what other signal was causing it to stay red. I don't know if it was something with a right click, or how it worked exactly, but I was able to determine which junction had to be changed so that my signal would turn green, and I could proceed. Sorry I can't remember any more, but I am wondering if somehow you could use a similar method to see what is with the junction.

It's worth a try. Next time I'm running my session I'll check that out. Thankz

Hey Dave, can't stop thinking about your problem. Looking at the screenshot it appears that the two tracks are not mainline, soo, have you tried in edit session changing the direction of the switch and saving it, and then see what happens? It has worked for me on numerous occasions.

Hi Dave, just grasping at straws here but try moving that #4 closer to the switch and then placing a #5 just past the switch. Hope this helps,

pop pop, I tried this and I think it might have worked becaise I haven't had that train get stuck anymore.

Thanks

Dave

When two consists are head-on competing for that switch, the AI should figure who has priority and turn the point. But AI does not do it due to program limitations. Then the solution that works for me is to revert to manual control one of the consists, allow the other to proceed under AI, and go back to AI on the manual one so it can proceed, and it will. This defeats the purpose of "fully automatic control" and as said it is a limitation of capabilities. Another "peculiarity" is that if you run the session for first time, chances are that most of the operations, if properly set, will run as intended. Save the session and go back. Now many of the intended operations don't or can't run as smooth as when you run it for the first time. Sort of like a "feature" of Trainz. If Trainz AI were to play chess, it would be very easy to defeat all the time.

Back