Just bought TRS2009, Now whats good to download?

MooseOnDaLoose

Hello All,

I've just bought my first copy of Trainz, TRS2009 WBE. So now i want to know what can you recommend for me to get started, I would like to find a decent layout for running 1980s british rail freigh and passenger stuff. Could anyone recommend anything?

Also, i bought via digital download and was under the impression i got a 30 day first class ticket, is this not the case ?

Thanks in advance

Si

Hello Moose.....:hehe:

WELCOME TO OUR FORUM......

Auran said that there would be no FCT sold with any version of TS2009, either, downloadable or DVD, unfortunate, but that's their decision......Of course, you can buy one online from the Auran site, they're excellent value for money.....

Now, 1980's layouts on the DLS, blimey, there's hundreds of them.....:p
Now, just remember that some layouts need assets that are not on the DLS ( download station ) and therefore would need you to do a bit of searching around.....As you are new-ish to the game, I think it'd be wise if you look at the layouts that have all assets on the DLS, firstly.....

There is a thread somewhere giving you the names of all the routes, I'll go and find it for you.....http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=9437
Now, just be aware that all the layouts are from around the world, not just Britain, so you'll have to be careful what you download....

I can personally recommend any of the layouts by PhilSkene, they are universal, which means he put US Buffers on, but the signals are British, and you can change things around to suit your requirements. Any of his layouts are excellent, you may end up with all of them on your PC finally....

I'm sure you will get loads of recommendations as well, so keep a pen and piece of paper handy.......:hehe:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Last edited:
Excellent, ta very much :D

Yea i think its a sucky decision on the FCT front, but hey i've just gone and got a ticket for 90days and its made a massive difference to how content manager works :udrool:

Thanks for all your tips and I'll certainly go take a look at the content youve recommend. I'm currently grabbing 'Class 08' from DLS which is loving it :)

I think 25 quid for this much content is amazing value compared to the MSTS/RailSim world where it getting seriously expensive....

All the best,

Si Griffiths
AKA MooseOnDaLoose, Teehee!

Hello again Moose,

An FCT will give you unlimited daily download volume and very quick speeds, it's an essential overhead, but great value.....

I found this thread as well on this forum that may be of interest to you also.....http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=3301&highlight=drive

Just a point about downloading British locomotives from the DLS, many of the new ones that have appeared recently ( Class 60, 37, 24, 25, 31, 08, 20, etc, etc ) were built using the original locomotive as a template. You have to have the original locomotive also installed to get the new ones to operate ( it's known as an alias locomotive ) when you download any engine, whether it is a diesel or steam loco, they have so many dependencies attached to it such as bogeys, enginespecs, hornsounds, etc, etc, you must ensure you have everything downloaded before attempting anything. Some locos, such as the Class 60 or 37, may need 24 assets including little things like air brake vacuum pipes, that you require, so just make sure you have everything, 'cos when you try and place the loco on a route in surveyor it won't show up, and you will wonder why....

It's all excellent value for money, once you've got your version and an FCT, you won't need to get your wallet out again for months....:hehe:

Happy trainzing.

Cheerz.

ex. :wave:

Last edited:
Top tips, I did wonder what was going on then found 'Missing Assets' in the content manager and now have a lovely forest of assets missing assets missing assets , heh!

On another point i'm not that far away from you in Chesterfield, small world this internet malarky ;)

Thanks again for your help, it has stopped many hours of heading stratching, lol!

Si

You'd be surprised at where some of us live, I found out last year that a UK Trainzer's parents lived about 10 doors away from me......It's a funny old world.

Have you familiarised yourself with CMP, I 'aint using TS2009, but have got TRS2007 ( German version ) so use CMP every day, it's not that difficult when you've got into it a bit deeper, but, you do need to get your head around a lot of stuff. I always keep a pen and piece of paper handy also, as I can scribble things down when they pop into my head, especially when you need to open config.txts of assets and need to correct errors and other things.

Give us a shout if you're not familiar with something, there's loads of us about on the forum and willing to give you an answer. Us old gits will pass on all our experiences and knowledge to you new starters......Even if you are from across the county border....:hehe:

Cheerz. ex.

John does that mean from now on we ignore you. :) :) :)

Just a west ender bugging an east ender.

No it means some one else had put the link into UK layouts before me. Have you seen any of the new double decker buses out the west end yet?

Cheerio John

No John haven't seen any of the new buses yet in our area. Not sure how many they have bought and of course lately there were no buses anywhere with the strike. From the question I assume none have shown up in your area either ?

No John haven't seen any of the new buses yet in our area. Not sure how many they have bought and of course lately there were no buses anywhere with the strike. From the question I assume none have shown up in your area either ?

I think it's a tight squeeze under St. Laurent until they move the big air extractors. They purchased three I think to see how they work so I thought they might be on your side of the city.

Cheerio John

Back