Interesting video discussing issues with 13th and 14th Gen Intel CPUs

That's an interesting video. I have two Dell computers and neither suffer from crashes like that. My desktop has a 13900K and my new Alienware M18 has the 14900K. I've used Trainz and other programs on both for hours at a time without seeing anything with my desktop running for 16 to 18 hours day while putting in 6 to 8 hours a day in Trainz and other graphics and CPU intensive programs. I also do not overclock either system even though I am capable of doing so. Being a hardware tech who went through an engineering program, I'm all too familiar with component tolerances and always operate my hardware within the limits its capable of rather than push to the highest and degrade the components.

With that said, it makes me wonder if there are more than a couple of things going on. Intel may have an obvious QC issue with the latest batches of chips, or are maybe digging through the bins and selling CPUs from previous batches to clear up old inventory. I'm thinking the latter. Intel built up a huge inventory of chips during COVID-19 due to people not being able to afford to build systems and they need to clear up what stock is sitting their warehouse before building more.

From what I recall about CPU manufacturing, the chips have a step-value. This step-value is the equivalent of a manufacturing revision process. The lower the step-value, the earlier the batch. As time goes on, the later step-values offer the best stability due to the tweaks and refinements in the manufacturing process. Since these processor lines are new, then the step-values are still pretty low, and the chips are not as stable at higher clock speeds as people imagine. This may also explain the quirky performance even on the stable motherboards where the datacenters found lowering the CPU clock and memory speeds helped the stability.

The other issue as he said is motherboard and system manufacturers. ASUS, MSI, and many others really do push the systems and then the user goes in and tweaks the systems more. We know that Intel allows overclocking but we also know that users will push their systems right to the bleeding edge of stability so that the slightest resonant spike in a coil will cause the system to crash. Combine this with the lower step-level chips and it's a recipe for disaster.

Everything may be running at the edge to start with and then the user tweaks things a bit more and the end result is these push the hardware more than it's meant to run at.

That was my impression as well. He did an amazing amount of research. It is hard to argue with that amount of verified data.

Back