Interesting Gpu performance between Trainz + build 122912 and TRS 22PE

Geefer

Been using MSI After Burner monitoring GPU (RTX 3060 TI) since fans stopped working, to check GPU use and temperatures. Both versions have the same local content and routes and also setup, shadows ultra. shaders basic/standard, post processing low, behind camera on, texture high.
I have found out the following
Trainz 22PE GPU frequency 1.5 to 1.9 GHz
GPU usage 40 to 50%
GPU temp 60 plus degrees centigrade
Trainz plus GPU frequency 0.8 to 1.2 GHz
GPU usage 80 to 90%
GPU temperature 50 to 55 degrees centigrade
Monitor is locked at 50 Hz
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, is it MSI after burner misreporting or have Auran done something to the code to bring this about. Also using Tech Power up nvcleaninstall to install nvidia drivers
Regards Geefer

In the notes for that test build:
Performance is currently not optimised. Trainz will perform at lower than expected frame rate with clutter enabled

Not possible to compare them.

I also use MSI Afterburner. I use it to adjust my fan curves for better cooling because my computer case is crap thanks to Dell.

William beat me to the punch. There's no way to compare the beta to the current retail version.

I think you are interpreting what I am saying the wrong way. Both programs work well for me, yes I lock both programs at 50 Hz (60 Hz offers no improvement except making GPU hotter). Both programs run very smoothly, with no drops in frame rate. Turfx is used. Both programs run with the settings as above. All layouts are small 1 board switching but with very high detailing . All I was reporting is the vast GPU difference between TRS22 PE and Trainz plus. Put this way TRS 22 PE operates between 0.9 to 1GHz higher than Trainz+, gpu usage for TRS 22 PE is between 35 to 45% capacity, Trainz + 80 to 90% of capacity of gpu, temp of gpu in tranz + is 5 to 10 degrees cooler. Yes I am surprised of these results and that is why I started this thread
Regards Geefer

I understood your stats but I just pointed out that it is impossible to draw any meaningful conclusions from them. You have to remember that TRS22 PE despite being brand new is using many less features then are present in the TP beta build. One big new feature is a move away from Nvidia specific clutter effects to a more universal way of doing clutter effects, so called Clutter 2.0. The beginning of which are in the beta build. This may be the cause of the increase in GPU usage while allowing the GPU to run cooler. But that is only a guess. Performance of this beta build has varied widely. For me it is a slideshow running any route with clutter and turf effects active while other users like you have reported no degradation in performance.

Thank you N3V staff for TRs 22 PE SP3, Gpu performance is now the same as Trainz Plus beta (latest beta). Gpu with shadows at ultra now runs between 800 m hz to 1.3 G hz on all my single board switching layouts, previous GPU running at 1.9 G hz at temperatures mid 60 degrees now running at low 50 degrees. The way GPU now works is great no need to upgrade as yet.
You may wonder why I'm monitoring gpu performance, ever since cooling fans stopped working and causing lock ups (MSI afterburner settings - my fault). It is hot up here in Darwin, a pleasant 32 degrees (Celsius) and 80% humidity in house at present, no air conditioning except for bedroom.
regards
Geefer

Thank you N3V staff for TRs 22 PE SP3, Gpu performance is now the same as Trainz Plus beta (latest beta). Gpu with shadows at ultra now runs between 800 m hz to 1.3 G hz on all my single board switching layouts, previous GPU running at 1.9 G hz at temperatures mid 60 degrees now running at low 50 degrees. The way GPU now works is great no need to upgrade as yet.
You may wonder why I'm monitoring gpu performance, ever since cooling fans stopped working and causing lock ups (MSI afterburner settings - my fault). It is hot up here in Darwin, a pleasant 32 degrees (Celsius) and 80% humidity in house at present, no air conditioning except for bedroom.
regards
Geefer
I've noticed the same with the temps. Your summer is similar to mine in Southern New England. We see 80%-plus humidity with temps in the high 20s to low 30s for weeks at a time. Like you, I only have a small A/C unit and I use that for my musical instruments to keep them temperature and humidity controlled.

Back