How to use "time" mode in smoke containers?

While "speed", "anim", and "anim2" are the most common and almost only smoke modes required for steam locomotives quite a large number of older engines use "time" mode for certain effects. I am running into this problem on the 9000 class as certain smokes are only usable though "time" mode and would be impossible to pull off otherwise. Now the original container uses Twinkles tfx files for its effect but the "period", "loop", and "loopdelay" are all inside of the container to govern the "time" mode. Because as expected the Twinkles smoke is very bad I went about updating them which in container smoke. Problem is though that even with the "period", "loop", and "loopdelay" in the container the smoke will only go for the first "period" time and then it will never repeat again after that. No matter what I edit it will never loop past the first time it starts up with the engine.

here is the smoke container for those that might be able to help me out. (after looking through the smoke page on the wiki there is a tag called "loop-amount" however after adding it to the container it went faulty saying that the tag was not allowed. I'm guessing it was removed at some point in time)

smoke
{
attachment ""
mode "time"
color 255,255,255,255
endcolor 255,255,255,0
period 10
loop 1
loopdelay 10
accel 0,0
conesize 0.3,0.3,1
minsize 0.5
maxsize 2
rate 100
velocity 5
lifetime 2
texture <kuid2:103021:1972770:2>
}

This stuff seems to be wanting to hate me. The more I get into doing this stuff the more the game fights back against me XD.

With kind regards,
The Brougham Gamer

Last edited:
Back