How to Add A custom Landscape Texture

crisger

RR Mod Maker
Do i have to create a KUID for a new landscape texture? I wanted to make a custom dirt road texture but was not sure exactly how to make a custom texture. I was going to look for what there was but was not sure yet how to find say all of the textures available, either in file form or thru the 2004 editor...thanks for tips on this. or guidance to a tutorial for this kind of info. thanks.

I assume if i make a KUID, the editor will create it in the right format and know where to put it once i load it?

Clone a texture, rename it's username line tag in the config file, edit the image, save, commit ... and it will be your custom re-skin of a clone ... uploading it to the DLS will require permission from the original creator

thanks yes i would always ask about re doing someone else's work.

but what i was wondering about is hoe to create the Config myself, if i am making an new texture i see that there are several complex text files needed in the folder and also a thumbnail. Do i have to create those by hand for 2004 as Content manager does not exist in the same form as it does in my install of 2006. I am hoping to make some custom landscape textures for a route we are working on and needed to know how to make them so they work as a KUID. thanks for any help on this ..or a tut will be cool too.

How about...
Copy / clone an existing texture.
Edit it and change whatever you like to whatever your like?

There are loads and loads of textures already made. Maybe you can save yourself a lot of hassle by just searching for the texture you like?

thanks yes i would always ask about re doing someone else's work.

but what i was wondering about is hoe to create the Config myself, if i am making an new texture i see that there are several complex text files needed in the folder and also a thumbnail. Do i have to create those by hand for 2004 as Content manager does not exist in the same form as it does in my install of 2006. I am hoping to make some custom landscape textures for a route we are working on and needed to know how to make them so they work as a KUID. thanks for any help on this ..or a tut will be cool too.

Chris,

Your best bet it to clone a working one. This will change the User Id, aka the KUID, to your own. You can then modify the details and update the texture its self in your config.txt files. When you're done with your clone, which you edited in Explorer, you then close the folder, check for errors, and commit it. Done, snap, quickly in about a couple of minutes. :)

The alternative, which can be sketchy sometimes, is to use the CCP, aka Content Creator Plus. You access this by choosing Create New Asset in Content Manager using Content Creator Plus. This will present a form for you to fill in the blanks. You still then have to open the accompanying folder in Explorer, and add the contents.

Since you have to open a folder anyway, why not choose one that's already working, clone it and modify the information. It's a much quicker, and much more reliable because CCP can sometimes cause issue especially with older versions and when modifying older assets.

John

Hi John thanks i am just trying to learn the ropes from the ground up, i have been making models and mods for MSTS for years and wanted to learn to do it here the right way starting with 2004 and working up. I didnt know that CCP worked for 2004 making resources i will try that as well as your suggestion to clone one ...that is as you say the safest and fastest way> but i did try that and for some reason the texture would not show up.

I noticed some ppl use BMP and some use Targa for format does it matter which or is there a preferred one for certain things?

here is the CFG for one of the textures i am studying so i am guessing it was created by the CMP?

kuid <kuid:57230:21280>
region Denver
trainz-build 2
category-class GA
category-region-0 IT
category-era-0 2000
asset-filename acquazzurra
kind groundtexture
username acqua azzurra
author Jango
organisation TrainZItalia
contact-email removed
contact-website trainzitalia.com
license Qualsiasi modifica od uso diverso da Trainz deve essere concordato con l'autore.

and when you say "commit it" that brings up another newbie question i have asked elsewhere but not gotten a reply to yet probably because it is so obvious and well known that no one thought it was worth the time to reply to.

how do you COMMIT? a file? i dont see any choice for that when i open up all of the content in the Content manager i see a list but no where to comitt anything. thanks for your help on this if possible. and thanks for the reply to my texture question.

Last edited:
Hi John thanks i am just trying to learn the ropes from the ground up, i have been making models and mods for MSTS for years and wanted to learn to do it here the right way starting with 2004 and working up. I didnt know that CCP worked for 2004 making resources i will try that as well as your suggestion to clone one ...that is as you say the safest and fastest way> but i did try that and for some reason the texture would not show up.

I noticed some ppl use BMP and some use Targa for format does it matter which or is there a preferred one for certain things?

here is the CFG for one of the textures i am studying so i am guessing it was created by the CMP?

region Denver
trainz-build 2
category-class GA
category-region-0 IT
category-era-0 2000
asset-filename acquazzurra
kind groundtexture
username acqua azzurra
author Jango
organisation TrainZItalia
contact-email jfrank@alice.it
contact-website trainzitalia.com
license Qualsiasi modifica od uso diverso da Trainz deve essere concordato con l'autore.

If this is for TRS2004, I'm not sure if there is a CCP for that. I do know it's in '06 and up and can mess up older assets.

See here for changes, which I've highlighted in bold:

region Denver - Remove is not valid.
trainz-build 2
category-class GA
category-region-0 IT - US
category-era-0 2000
asset-filename acquazzurra (keep the same)
kind groundtexture
username acqua azzurra - Change to your own name
author Jango - Modify as appropriate

organization TrainZItalia - Same as above
contact-email jfrank <AT>alice.it - Same (I modified this so it's not his email splattered on the web, you should do the same with your example too)
contact-website trainzitalia.com - Same
license Qualsiasi modifica od uso diverso da Trainz deve essere concordato con l'autore. - Modify as appropriate

Build 2.0 is okay for TRS2004 and above, if you want to upload this to the DLS, you need to update the build to 2.9 and above.

With texture a .bmp or .tga is fine. Both types cannot be compressed textures otherwise they will not show up so remove any RLE compression on these files.

Make sure your file name matches what's in the texture.txt file, otherwise nothing will show up. You can do this either by naming your file the same as what's in the texture.txt file, or edit the texture.txt file to have the same name inside as your file

I used to be an MSTS owner and ran many custom routes. I love those old Maple Leaf Tracks routes such as the D&H Bridge Route.

John

thanks a lot i will certainly do that but i realy want to learn to make them myself from the ground up , i am still learning my way round Trainz after 8 years making models and mods for MSTS and Railwaorks. I hope to contribute here and need to know the basics.

and thanks for the details. yes I have all of the Maple routes myself. I am excited to learn about Trainz i think it can do things that MSTS only dreamed of. thanks again.

wow and holy cow!!!! thank you sooooooooooooo very much! that is wonderful what a find! thank you more than i can say.

:)

Back