How do I find content in TRS2006 & Surveyor

seeseeme

Getting Older :)
Ok, here's an example of what I mean (from my thread title); I am in Surveyor and wish to find one of "DmDrake"s trees how do I do this (and I have many of them according to CMP). That's about it for my question, I am not sure which country they may be in (US sounds good, but is that the same as "United States") or do I look through 1,000's of items in "custom".

I just looked at over 150 threads and no title give me a clue.:confused: :confused:

Craig
:):):)

Ok, here's an example of what I mean (from my thread title); I am in Surveyor and wish to find one of "DmDrake"s trees how do I do this (and I have many of them according to CMP). That's about it for my question, I am not sure which country they may be in (US sounds good, but is that the same as "United States") or do I look through 1,000's of items in "custom".

I just looked at over 150 threads and no title give me a clue.:confused: :confused:

Craig

Hi,

You could give them "keywords" of your choice in CMP and then use the "Content Search Filter" button in surveyor. Have a look in CMP help for keywords.
If you go this route it might be wise to occasionally backup your "KeywordsDump.dat" file found in ?:\Program Files\Auran\TRS2006.

Paul

Or use the Content Search Filter and just type dmdrake in the author box and all his content will be in the list.
Norm

Hi,

You could give them "keywords" of your choice in CMP and then use the "Content Search Filter" button in surveyor. Have a look in CMP help for keywords.
If you go this route it might be wise to occasionally backup your "KeywordsDump.dat" file found in ?:\Program Files\Auran\TRS2006.

Paul
Thanks for the reply guys, I actually knew this answer but I was under the impression that some changes had been made in SP1 that improved this. So I was wondering how other people had got around the problem. In TRS06 with SP1 installed the Surveyor tools for finding content should work similar to TRS04 in that the Region/Origin and Type/Company is automaticly read by TRS06. I am aware this is not working as intended, so I was curious how others had over come this situation.

In all my content (and yours) the creators have this (as an example) in there config files;

region "Australia"
type "Trackside"

and TRS04 automaticly reads this. In suryeyor it will automatically create a group for Australia and the sub-group Trackside (if they are not there).

Now in TrainzObjectz (TO) (for TRS04 ofcourse) I have grouped all my content using various Regions and types that I understand and work for me. In TRS04 this would then be read for example I may have changed "type Trackside" to "type vehicles" in the above. Now when TRS06 first came out it was known that this would not work as in TRS04 as the Keyword system had come in. In a thread on the OLD forum someone came up with the idea of "mass keywording thousands of configs - not easy but possible" (actual heading as I still have a hard copy of the thread) and you use TO for this and I have done this with most (99%) of my TRS06 content.

Briefly, this idea uses TO and in that we/I use the remarks column and type in our description (keywords) for example "Australia;Vehicles" and then copy this content/item to a folder for transfering/uploading into TRS06. The only problem then is that TO give this tag line the name "objremarks" (such as objremarks Australia;Vehicles) which is not read by TRS06. So using a text editor program we change the tag line to something TRS06 will read, which is "category-keyword" (this is the line that CMP puts in your config files if you use CMP to do this).

As I said I have made all these changes to about 18,000 items and I was of the impression this system would automatically be read by TRS06 SP1; but it does not :( . So I was curious how people over come this. Now I have about 500 keywords to enter :p .

Hope you understood this rambling :D

Craig

BTW I just found out the CMP will do mass keywords for you; just highlight 500 items, Right mouse to give you the menu, Edit Keywords, then add. This will add the same keyword to those 500 items selected :)

I could not find the file "keywordsDump.dat" either. I entered keywords in CMP and in TRS/Surveyor as well.

Last edited:
I could not find the file "keywordsDump.dat" either. I entered keywords in CMP and in TRS/Surveyor as well.

Hi Craig,

If I remember correctly the file keywordsDump.dat isn't created till you back up your keywords for the first time. The backup/Re-import keywords is located under the "File" heading......when you backup it takes a minute or so and CMP gives the impression nothing is happening but eventually you get the pop up backup successful.

Paul

Hi Craig,

If I remember correctly the file keywordsDump.dat isn't created till you back up your keywords for the first time. The backup/Re-import keywords is located under the "File" heading......when you backup it takes a minute or so and CMP gives the impression nothing is happening but eventually you get the pop up backup successful.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip and I now have a "keywordDump.dat" file. Now to re-arrange my keywords to something more useful in Surveyor :D if possible. I would hate to print out (if possible) all the keywords shown in the KeywordDump file though, there are 1,000's :D

Craig

Back