Hello

RedBall

Hi folks,

I just installed Trainz 2006. In part I was intrigued with the "Modula City" scenario shown on the box. In real life I am a Light Rail Operator and am hoping to create a Light Rail/Interurban route that includes city and suburban scenery.
I would also like to re-create the heyday of steam in America, circa 1920-1940 and in particular logging/mining operations in the Western US using narrow gauge Shay or other gear driven locomotives.

Now I'm totally new to Trainz so before I start asking the usual "noobie" questions, is there a place/FAQ I can search to find answers to the basic stuff?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

EDIT: I just found my version and build #
VERSION: Trainz 2.6
BUILD: 3337

RedBall

Last edited:
First off welcome. Secondly, don't worry about being "noobie". There are enough people on this forum that will help. Most people who will get mad at you about being "noobie" have left or will not bother you.

If you have anymore questions post them here and someone will help.

Sincerley,

Ryan:wave:

Welcome aboard Redball,
A great place to start is the TRS2006 manual. TRS2006\DOCS\manual_cd. It's in PDF format and well worth the read.
Secondly, I'd recommend you go through the six "in game" tutorials. They will give you a better understanding of Trainz's. Particularly things like Industries, etc.
Happy Trainzing,
Cheers, Mac...

Wecome.

There are some Trainzers that are in to western U.S. narrow gage logging, maybe even mining so you won't be alone. Have you discovered the narrow gage logging/mining layout that comes with TRS2006? ( I think).

Thanks for the welcome and the "starters".

I am going through the manual and have tried one of tutorials. All are helpful.
I also found out going through the default Inventory I have several options for both logging/mining and Interurban transit.

Looking forward to learning and enjoying.
2 questions as for now,

How/where do I find my build number and how can I tell if I have the [FONT=verdana,geneva]RailDriver Desktop Cab Controller installed and [/FONT]need [FONT=verdana,geneva]TrainzUtil.exe?

[/FONT]Should I install [FONT=verdana,geneva]Service Pack 1 International English Language Edition TRS2006_US_2761-3092[/FONT]?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just discovered by version and build.
Version: 2.6
Build: 3337

Last edited:
Thanks paulzmay.
EDIT: Thanks meatloaf. I don't have the Desktop Cab Controller so that resolves those questions.

I do have a flight HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) for my flight simulator. Any way I can use that? It's a Saitek X-52 and has lots of buttons, sliders and rotary axis. Is there a way to use it for train control, especially the throttle? Or is that a silly question?

TIA.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, no. In the 7+ years I've been enjoying Trainz's, I haven't heard of anyone using a FS joystick as a controller...
Cheers, Mac...

To the best of my knowledge, no. In the 7+ years I've been enjoying Trainz's, I haven't heard of anyone using a FS joystick as a controller...
Cheers, Mac...
:eek:WHA? I can't have it all?
:( Awww. It's so much like my real life Motor Drum Handle control in the Seiman's LRV's that I operate.
:)Still this is a lot of fun. I just made a very short stretch of one of the routes I operate IRL with the Surveyor. Amazing stuff!

Can't you just program some of the buttons to the keyboard keys that Trainz uses? The keys are listed in the keyboard.txt file located in the ..\Program Files\Auran\TRS2006\Settings folder.

Bob

Back