Graphics cards

I'm considering getting a new graphics card for my computer (the current one being about seven years old and with a tiny amount of memory) and I wanted to ask something - Would it be better to go for a fast card with half a gigabyte of memory or a slower one that has 1gig of memory?

Cheers,

Chris :wave:

Last edited:
TS2010 uses dxt compression given 4:1 compression so its the same as using 2 gigs or 4 gigs roughly in TRS2004/06 TC3.

If you think you would need 4 gigs of memory running TRS2004 on the video card then buy the 1 gig card.

Cheerio John

TS2010 uses dxt compression given 4:1 compression so its the same as using 2 gigs or 4 gigs roughly in TRS2004/06 TC3.

If you think you would need 4 gigs of memory running TRS2004 on the video card then buy the 1 gig card.

Cheerio John

Sorry, I completely messed up the question :eek:

It's between an Nvidia GeForce 9400gt with 1gig memory, or a GeForce 9500gt with 1/2 a gigabyte of memory

Thanks for the reply anyway!

Chris

Sorry, I completely messed up the question :eek:

It's between an Nvidia GeForce 9400gt with 1gig memory, or a GeForce 9500gt with 1/2 a gigabyte of memory

Thanks for the reply anyway!

Chris

OK so the answer is TS2010 uses DXT compression so the textures take up only a quarter of the size they would if you were using TRS2004. Hence the 9500 with 512 mb of memory will be able to hold the equivalent of 2 gigs of TRS2004 textures.

Does that make sense? Video card memory isn't so important with TS2010. Things to watch out for is your existing video AGP or PCI-e? How much extra current will it need from the power supply? In general ATI 40 nm cards need less power than nVidia.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-geforce-radeon,2646-2.html

An ATI HD 5570 would probably draw less power for the same or better performance.

Cheerio John

Well I'm using a GeForce 9800gt with ½ a gig of memory & it runs TRS2004 ok, so I say a GeForce 9500gt with ½ a gig of memory, should do
just dandy in TS2010 judging by the fact that they reckon TS2010 runs more efficiently than TRS2004. :D

Back