Gradient standard in Trainz surveyor?

pdwood

Building in the mountains
[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]I am making the Flåmsbana route in Norway on TRS 2010 and am confused about what figures to enter into the Surveyor Gradient tool to get the correct gradients on the route. From the Trainsman calculator I get[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman","serif]1 in 18 =[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman","serif]5.56 % =[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman","serif]3.18°[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman","serif]Which of these figures do I use in surveyor??[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman","serif]Manythanks[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman","serif]pdw[/FONT]

Thanks!

Yes steep it is - 80% of the track has a gradient of 1:18 climb. Impressive..

I will proceed with Flåmsbana..

:D pdw

Looking forward to seeing it, I visited Norway once on a NATO cruise back in the 70's, the whole country looks seriously steep to me. :cool: Can't remember the name of the port, "Haakonsvern" or something, but when we went ashore and got in a taxi, he backed up the really really steep road into the town. Cabdriver explained that if he went up forwards the fuel pump often couldn't keep up since the gas tank was 10 feet lower than the engine. :hehe:

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFqYZJWVTto[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"] [/FONT]
Yes, its something of a challenge. Have a look - the first link gives you a vidoe of the whole line, and the second some images:

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]http://www.google.no/search?q=fl%C3%A5msbana&hl=no&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=XDz0TpGsDIeb-gbxnPjTAQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CB4Q_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=670[/FONT]

pdw;)

Remember that you get different measurements, which are opposite results of each other, from either end of the same length of track. One end gives a positive answer and other end a negative version of the same number. If you use the gradient copy tool make sure you have the proper end, positive or negative as required, other wise the track gradient goes the opposite way if you apply the copied gradient using the gradient copy tool.

You must also remember that track is affected vertically in the same way as it is horizontally. Applying a gradient between two vertices affects the track in the adjoining sections with the closest vertices functioning as pivot points. The track does not just bend at the vertex, it pivots over it.

You can check this. Set one gradient then check the one before and the one after, you will find they have changed.

Peter

Back