going creazy with some users, who float the DLS, bad screenshots in the 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSP

The Bavarian Banner
Dear Guys,
today I was at the DLS and - what have my eyes ot see?

# Several Objects with one "screenshot"

kuid2_1854_1053_1.jpg
kuid_441444_100247.jpg
kuid_58223_41376.jpg
kuid_211014_100638.jpg
kuid_211014_100085.jpg
(the last two have a funny dimension.)

# meaningless object names

kuid_58223_41384.jpg
kuid_58223_41388.jpg
Chassis Frame 03 Product . . . . . . . Steel Pipes 01 15m

# floating DLS with many similar objects
(my current "favorit" is Bendorsey")
Sorry, No pictures, because the Limitation of postet pictures here.)

# screenshots who show the wrong objects ... (because the names)
-> also one screenshot for all.)

kuid_173649_25071.jpg
kuid_173649_25071.jpg
kuid_173649_25071.jpg

Usti n peronhala B . . . . . . . . . . . . Usti n O budova D . . . . . . . . . . . . Usti n O budova D

The pictures above are only examples. Unfortunately they are today at the first page.

In the 2nd posting I try to sample some very good chosen previews with good elected names.

I hope for a good discussion.

I always take a separate screenshot of my items to make the 240 by 180 pixel image to accompnay the CDP file but every once in a while the wrong one will get used with the CDP on the DLS. Complaints go nowhere.

BVen.

Not knocking

I am not knocking content creators, they do a good job. But it is difficult when they produce say, several sheds all the same but with different colours and then put them all in the screenie for each one of the downloads.
Personally I need to know which one I am downloading and more importantly it is the right one for my purpose because it is very easy to fill your content folder up and that slows down the jump back from spline to static objects a lot.
Worse, when some kind soul takes all the trouble to create an asset and then doesn't put a shot in at all. I do not download those, I don't know what I am getting.
Please creators, show a shot of each object singly, route creators would greatly appreciate that small thing.

Thanks to all those that create objects for us to use. I only chose one example, there are an awful lot.

Angela

I think, the most Guys here follow this idea.

At the followed pictures anybody can identify the object and this has an definite clear name.

# Some good examples:
(You have a quick view at the object and You know, You will find it very fast in Surveyor.)

kuid_179051_100558.jpg
kuid_173649_25013.jpg
kuid2_210518_7515_1.jpg

Liskeard Signal Box . . . . . . . . . . . . CottageHlavicesnow . . . . . . . . . . Rendsburg Bridge Part 3 *1)

kuid_236618_60013.jpg
kuid_466695_25021.jpg

Old Health Building in the city of Ali... Euston Arch

*1) in spite of floating DLS

# Objects with Cooperate Identity
(You ever know the creator or group of creators.)

kuid_449411_10013.jpg
kuid_449411_1014.jpg
kuid_52_37418.jpg

m62 bogey PRL v1 . . . . . . . . . . . . PKP ST44 313 ZT Lublin . . . . . . . . FMA bank's end w 8 D

BUT: There is also an Borderline.
(What's about this?)

kuid_356259_23450.jpg
kuid2_68213_21042_1.jpg

So many (useful) objects. I think, It's not easy to make different Screens. It will be also very complex.

This are only examples and will not claim to be complete.
(Because the picture limit also.)

EDIT:
I will say nothing about the object quality!

Last edited:
I always take a separate screenshot of my items to make the 240 by 180 pixel image to accompnay the CDP file but every once in a while the wrong one will get used with the CDP on the DLS. Complaints go nowhere.
BVen.

Sorry Ben, sometimes is less really more. ;)

A good screenshot is certainly going to go a long way to getting the item downloaded by fellow Trainz users.

# floating DLS with many similar objects
I think what you are trying to say here is "flooding the DLS with many similar objects" and that is your objection. I would point out to you that they are free, and you are not compelled to download any of them unless you wish to do so.

I agree with FSP and Angelah; I would also be fine if all the content on the DLS had English names: sometimes I had missed some valuable content until I found it by chance (usually while I was looking for some absolutely unrelated object :D ).

...and you are not compelled to download any of them unless you wish to do so.

Yes, but if 20 sheds are represented on the DLS by the same picture representing the whole series and are named "Shed-01", "Shed-02"... I am compelled to download them all even if I need only one of them.

Yes, but if 20 sheds are represented on the DLS by the same picture representing the whole series and are named "Shed-01", "Shed-02"... I am compelled to download them all even if I need only one of them

I quite agree with you Pendolino, although that is not quite what FSP said. Perhaps it was his intent however and then I would have to agree. My answer for multiple objects with the same picture, or worse, someone's logo, is not to download any of it.

Hi,

I agree with pendolino and gfisher about the thumbnails shown on the DLS but taking it one step farther, I wish creators would stick to a regular naming convention. As an example, shed-01 shed-02 etc is not too bad but then you get something like LARGE SHED, SMALL SHED, ROUND SHED etc. It would be much easier to find if they were listed as, SHED LARGE, SHED SMALL, SHED ROUND etc.

you get my drift?

Bill69

I quite agree with you Pendolino, although that is not quite what FSP said.

Thats (Pendolinos opinion) is what I mean. ;)

My answer for multiple objects with the same picture, or worse, someone's logo, is not to download any of it.

That is also a solution.
But: Is it worth to float the DLS with objects,
which no one really need?

I give You an wrong example by myself.
Please look at the DLS and the username "FSP".
There a objects, which I criticize here.
So I had to decide to do It better.
And Yes, I promise:
It will become better; much better.
Kilanziom was a good example in this way.

I really think you are making too big a deal outta this.
It's not that big of a deal, it is like making a huge fuss over signature size and dial-up connections. There is absolutely nothing you can do.

Cheers,
Woody:wave:

And then again , some members simply post to post , absolutely nothing one can do ?

My thoughts ,---DLR

Hi,

.......I wish creators would stick to a regular naming convention. As an example, shed-01 shed-02 etc is not too bad but then you get something like LARGE SHED, SMALL SHED, ROUND SHED etc. It would be much easier to find if they were listed as, SHED LARGE, SHED SMALL, SHED ROUND etc.

you get my drift?

Bill69

Yes, I so agree with you. The first thing I normally do after downloading objects is dispose of the given name and re-name them along the lines that you suggested.

Sure, the names look 'ugly' in English because we have been taught to put adjectives before nouns, but for sorting purposes it's much better to have Truck Mack 01 than Mack truck 01. Trucks are then automatically grouped together in the Surveyor list.

However, it is pointless to expect everyone including non-English speakers to always follow that convention on the DLS. There is no way to enforce it and sometimes you may decide to depart from the convention for a valid reason. A case in point might be my series of "Derelict" objects - to group them all together I decided to make Derelict the first word in every name rather than the usual generic descriptor like Shed or House etc.

While we are all complaining, my gripe is with ridiculously long names like "Watson Street terrace house slate roof with sidewalk but no garden". What the hell? :'( This gets shortened to "Terrace Watson St. 01" in my system. At least I can see the whole name without needing to mouse over it to give a pop-up view. I can rely on the little viewing window in Surveyor to show me it has a sidewalk but no garden!

As for screenshots showing groups of objects, or just one member of a series, I think this sometimes comes from uploading things in Packs doesn't it? I've read that the DLS just ignores individual screenshots and only displays the one picture for everything in the pack.

~ Deane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back