Flashes of color on ground TR2009

peter1jeep

Hi rail folks, I have just purchased TR2009 and have run TR2006, with 2009 I find there are flashes of color on the ground, the odd time they stay for minutes but mostly they are only flashes.
My computer is an ASUS 3.2 Ghz Dual Core with 2 meg Ram, the video card is and ATI Radeon X800 with 256 Ram.
Is there anything I can do to eliminate this?? would like to buy a better card but funds are limited at this time, I have the latest driver update.

Peter.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the issue. I have both 09 and 06 as well, but have not experienced the flashes of color. Perhaps someone that frequents the TrainzDev site know something?

Peter,

Does this happen everywhere or only in specific places? If the latter, it might help if you could post details of a few layouts and locations within them where it happens.

I wonder if this is a similar problem to the flicker which occurs when two surfaces of buildings occupy exactly the same space. Maybe this is caused by two ground textures occupying exactly the same space. But I'm just guessing at possibilities with no real knowledge.

John

I had the same problem plus "white outs" over some areas.
Changed from OpenGl to DirectX which solved the problem.

I had the same problem plus "white outs" over some areas.
Changed from OpenGl to DirectX which solved the problem.

I also had the same problem with my Nvidia 6150 (on-board video). Seem to me the open GL does not work properly. Switching to DirectX corrected the problem and actually increased frame rates at the same time.

Bricey

Flashes of light on the ground

Thanks folks on the replies, I have the SP1 in for 2009 are there any more patches??, I believe I am using DirectX, how do I check that?
I will check on whether it happens in one specific session, I was in the Trs2004 session, the one with the industries in it when I first noticed it.

Thanks
Peter.

Thanks folks on the replies, I have the SP1 in for 2009 are there any more patches??, I believe I am using DirectX, how do I check that?
I will check on whether it happens in one specific session, I was in the Trs2004 session, the one with the industries in it when I first noticed it.

Thanks
Peter.

Peter,

If this is happening with particular assets, it has to do with the way they created the initial mesh in particular the night time mesh. This is a very thin polygon setup to render lights on the interior. The problem is known a coplanar faces, and the cause is your video card is trying to render both very close polygons at the same time because they are both occupying the same Z-buffer space. The video card gets confused and tries to display both at the same time causing the blinking.

When this occurs with ground textures, I sometimes lift up roads and objects about 1/2 meter or less to adjust for the blinking. With objects such as buildings, this is impossible to do because th original creator has built the objects with the polyies too close together.

John

Thanks
Peter.

To check if your using DirectX go to the start up menu, options, display settings. Click on DirectX.
Hope this helps.

Back