Finding accurate angles in degrees

tonytony

One problem sorted, another rears its head
I am surveying my new route by first placing a straight line between Point A and Point B and finding the distance is no problem using Google Earth - but I don't know of any way in which I can define an accurate angle in degrees from Point A to Point B across a black baseboard in Trainz

I feel sure there will be a way somewhere
More assistance would be appreciated.
Tony

I am not familiar with TS Mac, but I know that an angle indicator was added to the rulers in TS12 SP1, so I would check if your ruler happens to do so.

Morning Oknotson
Regret my ruler does NOT have an angle indicator. I have used the ruler to measure distance after I have measured on Google Earth
Thanks
Tony

Pretty sure there is a protractor thingy on the DLS somewhere.

Got it or got them!

<kuid:45676:23069> 360 Degree Large Protractor
<kuid:45676:23071> 360 Degree small Protractor
<kuid:55126:39000> protractor

When, in Trainz, did you ever need to factor in the angle of degree, to lay track ?

I can lay a perfect curve, over a DEM tracing, using the Trainz ruler, and add on a transition curve easement in, with ease

Last edited:
Just because one person doesn't use/need angle measurements, doesn't mean others don't find it useful. If a proto-structure is placed at a known angle in the real world, some people might want to reproduce that same angle in Trainz.

Can see both sides of the argument, but then Trainz doesn't use real world projection in the first place. Transdem, HOG etc. adapt the DEM and imagery to best fit.

Find myself agreeing with Cascade on this (!) that the "It looks about right" method of route building is essential to avoid risking sanity and eyesight. Unless you're making an exact replica of an area including the actual buildings, down to the location of every streetlamp and manhole cover, particularly when passing the area at 60 MPH no one is going to worry if a building is off skew by a few degrees or the track tangent doesn't quite follow the prototype.

Thanks all you guys for the replies and I can understand the question WHY - but I am not trying to build an inch perfect route, trying to do that would put me in a mental very quickly.
What I am trying to do is as follows
The first part of my route is going to be about 9 miles long and although there are various curves in the rail line I am trying to ensure that certain features, maybe a station, level crossing etc etc can be placed accurately.
Therefore Point A might be exactly 500 metres distance from Point B IN A STRAIGHT LINE, this gives me some reasonably accurate points along the route. The track then fits accordingly, perhaps on a left hand curve or a right hand curve as per the the original route I am copying.
For the UK Trainz people the route I am attempting is part of the Furness Line from Carnforth to Grange over Sands because as far as I know this route is not on the DLS
Thanks for the comments and assistance and I now have downloaded a very good 360 Protractor thanks to clam1952
Regards to all
Tony

Use fixed track pieces along the alignment as a template to keep objects lined up. FT500 and FT1000 most useful - place these corresponding to your track bed, then align other fixed objects to match (noting that the actual angle might differ by 45, 90 or 180 degrees depending how the author configured them).

FT Tracks adjust in whole 1 degree increments ... But can be fine rotated using the Ctrl or Shift KB key, however when FT Tracks are moved, these fine custom rotations revert back to whole 1 degree numerals

Thanks all you guys for the replies and I can understand the question WHY - but I am not trying to build an inch perfect route, trying to do that would put me in a mental very quickly.
What I am trying to do is as follows
The first part of my route is going to be about 9 miles long and although there are various curves in the rail line I am trying to ensure that certain features, maybe a station, level crossing etc etc can be placed accurately.
Therefore Point A might be exactly 500 metres distance from Point B IN A STRAIGHT LINE, this gives me some reasonably accurate points along the route. The track then fits accordingly, perhaps on a left hand curve or a right hand curve as per the the original route I am copying.
For the UK Trainz people the route I am attempting is part of the Furness Line from Carnforth to Grange over Sands because as far as I know this route is not on the DLS
Thanks for the comments and assistance and I now have downloaded a very good 360 Protractor thanks to clam1952
Regards to all
Tony
Doesn't the MAC version come with a ruler with built in bearing (degrees)? If not, the protractor works OK but is very cumbersome. I have used both, but the ruler is much more accurate and allows you accurately copy from Google Earth (see below)
ea6322cf0e2346600bf8228aa30e63f4.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Back