EA/Kuju Rail Simulator Spec Awareness

stationman

:( Please be very careful if you are thinking of purchasing this program & check the recommended spec required to run the software effectively.

The game packaging shows only the minimum computer requirement although it is not stated as such & I only discovered the real spec required in the readme text file after loading.

My system is a Vista machine with core2dual processor, 2 gig Ram, 128mB Nvidia 8400 graphics & 320GB harddrive & the sim still stutters with all the settings turned down to intermediate ( didn't try the lowest for obvious reasons - don't want a sim that I can't get the best from. )

This is very dissappointing as the sim looks good.

Once again be very careful but if your system is uo to it then give it a whirl.

This is not a whinge by the way but a genuine comment for the benefit of others.

Regards,

Stationman

What are the system specs the game actually lists?
There was much arguement before it came out, and last I checked Kuju hadn't even listed what it needed.

P.S. I think your problem lies in the 8400 128MB video card, the 8400 isn't much of a game playing video card.

Even if I had a system that could run this thing I'd be asking myself do I really want a simulator that can't delete user routes, can't double head steam locos and (still) can't couple stuff to the front of a loco... This may of course all be fixed in SP1.

Paul

What are the system specs the game actually lists?
There was much arguement before it came out, and last I checked Kuju hadn't even listed what it needed.

P.S. I think your problem lies in the 8400 128MB video card, the 8400 isn't much of a game playing video card.

Hello

see here: http://www.railsimulator.com/support

Minimum Requirements to run Rail Simulator

• OS: Windows XP with latest service pack installed / Windows Vista
  • CPU: XP - Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz or equivalent.
    Vista - Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 2.6GHz or equivalent
  • RAM: 512 MB
  • GFX: 64MB DirectX 9.0c compliant card with at least Pixel Shader 2.0
  • SFX: DirectX 9.0c compatible
  • HDD: 4.5 GB of space is required to install the game
Regards

Ahsan:)

Rail Sim specs

The game package lists the following specs ( not advised as MINIMUM ):

O/S Windows XP/Vista
CPU 1.7GHz or faster
Memory 512 Mb RAM
Hard drive 6Gb
DVD rom 8x
Video card 64Mbwith pixel shader 2
Sound card Direct X 9.0c compatible
Direct X 9.0c
Input Keyboard/mouse.

The readme lists the recommended as :

CPU Intel pentium 4/AMD Athlon 3.0GHz or equivalent
Memory 1Gb
Video card 256MB direct X compliant with pixel shader 3 & above
Sound card Soundblaster X-Fi
All others as above.

This is to run the sim at the recommended resolution, detail & performance levels.

Not much of a difference is there !!!

To read the package , which is what most purchasers will go by , the inference is that this will run on a relatively low spec system which it most probably will, but not with much success or satisfaction.

As to any other short comings these presumably will be addressed on an ongoing development programme for improvement ( As was Trainz ).

Regards,

Stationman

ah well no wonder, nobody looks in support to find the specs. You'd think they'd be smart enough to stick them on the FRONT page?

Yeah never listen to minimum requirements. Usually my rule of thumb is to double the minimum to get a good idea.

The sound card, however that's dumber than (bleep) No one NEEDS the X-Fi for a recommended specs.

ah well no wonder, nobody looks in support to find the specs. You'd think they'd be smart enough to stick them on the FRONT page?

Yeah never listen to minimum requirements. Usually my rule of thumb is to double the minimum to get a good idea.

The sound card, however that's dumber than (bleep) No one NEEDS the X-Fi for a recommended specs.

It's EA, so what do you expect?
As for the xfi, its aload of rubbish, i get decent enough sounds when playing it with my defult on board audio, besides, there are much better audio cards than creatives.

Sam

Back