David Gunn, and now already Alex Kummant? What's going on with Amtrak's CEOs?

Isaacg

Amtrak has been fooling around with CEOs.... AGAIN. When will they ever get it right? I like Amtrak, but I don't. I have mixed feelings about it. I wish it would advance in ridership and get out of its debt-hole. What happened to Alexander Kummant, Amtrak's former CEO? I recently read that William Crosby will be taking his place. Was it to do with restructuring? Financing? I'm just curious. Anyways, it'd be nice to see how Amtrak will fair by 2020. Who knows, I might get a job with 'em. Anyways, I better be off, its getting late.

Isaac

Change of Command...

:cool: President-elect Obama gets to appoint a new Presidential Cabinet.

That's OK, he will probably place someone that has experience with commuter rail service, having served the state of Illinois.

Amtrak does have some newly elected pals in office already & President Bush has said he will approve funding before he leaves office, though he leaves a rather volatil history where Amtrak was concerned...

Amtrak has newly developed funding bills in conference at this time, however the extent of the benefits are yet to be realized.

I remember reading something about Kummant being forced to resign (ie "resign or you'll be fired") because of some dispute with a board member. I could be wrong, though, and don't have the relevant link handy...

I don 't know if President-Elect chooses. Does he? I thought it was just congress that funded and passed bills for it. I didn't realise that the president chooses who becomes the next CEO. Anyways, thanks for the reason, Ferrous, thats all I needed to know.

Isaac

Executive Branch...

:cool: Yes, the President chooses a Director for Amtrak.

The ousting of David Gunn was the Mother of all mistakes since he had so much transportation experience & his leaving was all about politics in the West Wing.

Amtrak is actually the National Railway Transportation Agency of the federal government....funded by Congress & mandated to function like a private business...meaning it must make a profit.

The former attitude against Amtrak makes about as much sense as my hometown's placing an industrial park next to the Interstate system far from the local railroad tracks...everyone complains about emissions, renewable resources & highway congestion but nobody wants to actually do anything about it.

In the '70's after the 'oil crises' President Carter formed the Federal Department of Natural Resources(DNR) to seek new energy sources & reduce our dependence on oil importation....& now we have experienced gas prices exceeding all previous rates...some help!

So yes, the future of Amtrak rests entirely on President-elect Obama...with his help..."Yes, We Can!"

Back