Darjeeling Himalayen Railroad - An Update

Franklin_Prestage

DHR Chief Engineer
Hello my good friends. I trust that the Easter season has found you all in good health. I have received, by electrical means, three pictures from my engineer working hard on the Rangtong area. I think you will find them delightful:

rang_01.jpg

rang_02.jpg

rang_03.jpg

I am pleased that Noel has done such fine work, breathing life into this virtual railroad.

As a side note, the little handcart will be provided with the route - and, for the brave, you will be able to ride it - unpowered - down the hill.

Yours,

Franklin

This is by-far my favorite ongoing project, and the amount of quality....:eek: its amazing :D I really cant wait for the route to be finished:cool:
-Jeremy

We are definitely toiling away like ants on this. We hope to have it done "soon", but we are balancing that with the desire to make it a very good route.

Bill

Mr. Prestage,

I would like to thank you for the update recieved today. This railroad of yours seems to be coming together quite nicely. I'm certain your investors must be pleased. The engineer and entire crew employeed by this venture must be very proud indeed and their willingness to press on is commendable.
In regards to your engneer, he states the opening of this railroad should be available to the public "soon". Is there even a remotely reliable forecast as to this date?
Once again, my congratulations to your accomplishments thus far.

Sincerely,
R.K.

Hi there

Comming along very nicely, this line would be a hard work .....

Hopw the hand car has atleast a working brake of some sort to keep it under control

Tom

The handcar (at the moment) is powered. This is done so we can use it to run track inspections on our route. Plans are to leave it powered, but perhaps to produce a totally unpowered version for thrill-seekers. The problem with braking is that when you hit the brakes you stop DEAD. You don't slow down easily because there is no inertia. This sort of thing could be overcome by tweaking the config.txt file I'm sure.

The entire route from Ghum down to Rangtong is totally downhill - there is no portion of it that runs uphill at any point (except, perhaps, at the tail ends of switchbacks). Since Darjeeling is lower than Ghum by about a hundred feet you'd have to tow the handcart up from Darjeeling and release it at Ghum. The really tricky parts would be the 6 switchbacks :D.

We are working hard on this route but we also have NOT forced a particular completion deadline on it. We want it to be done to our satisfaction before we release it. When it is done there will be thousands:eek: of new content in your custom folder when you download it. It will NOT be hosted on the DLS, but once it is released, a lot of content produced by our members will be uploaded to the DLS by them.

We are doing this in TRS2004, but, so far, it appears to work just fine in TRS2006 (with/without SP1).

Bill

This looks good.

Little shrine, the trees, and the buses with the roof luggage and the other vehicle with roof luggage; the bus with those very big front windows. Authentic Bharath. Looks like a lot of attention to detail and painstaking work.

This looks good.

Little shrine, the trees, and the buses with the roof luggage and the other vehicle with roof luggage; the bus with those very big front windows. Authentic Bharath. Looks like a lot of attention to detail and painstaking work.

Yes, it is a lot of attention to detail, & lots & lots of fine-tuning with the
layout 'dressing'.

But with all these amazing 'goodies' to play with...er...put-where-they belong!,
it's a joy to be beavering away on this project.

:)

Back