Colorado Railroad Museum (800x600 images)

Klinger

The Chicago CTA guy
unlike the last time i posted about this, i will not post pictures of everything that is there, just the stuff i took pictures of

Either way, yesterday was my first trip of the year, and boy was I surprised to see a few new things

First things first, they moved the damn rotary plow!! after sitting across highway 40 since the 1960's it is now in the museum grounds for all to see....and for some much needed work to take place

its parked with a switcher, old UP 0-6-0, engine number is 44?? cant remember, and all the paint is gone. she needs to be sandblasted, bad

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

And Emily in front of 44whatever
DSC00071.jpg

I did not however get a pictures of what happened to 191. Their adding a brand new boiler jacket to her! Not yet painted, looks a bit odd. I really hope that some day she can be restored to operation. However I dont know what sort of shape she is in, and the only way they would restore her is if they can keep most of the origional locomotive. If they cant do that, she will never run again. As of course, she is the oldest locomotive in Colorado.

Here comes the Bunny Express (horrible name). They had good old #140 pulling the Easter train today. I got to ride in both the enclosed coaches, 280 and 284. I took two trips (mostly because me and my sister needed to sit for a while)

DSC00083.jpg

Next month, on April 19th and 20th, this sleeping beauty will awaken once again, and once again become the oldest operating locomotive in Colorado (anyone know of an older locomotive? this one was built in 1881)

DSC00090.jpg

And of course I must end with a picture of me in my dream job! Well, actually if this was a dream job, it would not be K-37 #491. it would be K-28 #473. you cant find a locomotive with a more strange and rich history

DSC00079.jpg

I may eventually build a model of 99201, the rotary. Its been converted from narrow gauge to standard gauge, and back and forth several times. Would be a perfect fit on any railroad in the Trainz World. i hope one day to get interior pictures of her. however right now she is welded shut. I am hoping to become a volunteer at the museum, maybe I can talk them into opening her up again. She would be a time capsule, no one has seen her interior....for years. Her windows are all welded shut, I really really want to get in there!

Last edited:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

...Sure blows my museum out of the water (we have the Cottontail Express, though, which sounds a bit more dignified than the Bunny Express--no offense)...

btw, what can you tell us about 140?

Lastly, if you can volunteer, DO IT, MAN! :D

well, most I know, the Museum currently has two identical locomotives, #140 and #130. Both came from the former operators of the Georgetown Loop railroad. They were used as switchers and backup locomotives for the Georgetown loop before that operator lost their contract to run the railroad. Their GE built and weigh 52 tons I believe, fairly light compared to standard gauge equipment, but big by narrow gauge standards. Not sure what they were before that.

Thats about as much as I know about them

Back