can't delete track

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
Made a new map using TransDEM. apart from the elevations, I also added the roads and tracks to get a leg up on creating my route. Will still have to fine tune the placement but that's half the fun, right?

So I'm able to make a bulk replacement of the track, can move them left right, up and down, join and split the splines of them all BUT some don't want to be deleted. When I hover over those, they don't show the name and Get Track doesn't work either. The also don't have any properties and rolling stock cannot be placed on them. They may look like tracks but they sure don't behave like tracks in all respects.

What could they be and how to convert to real track or just get rid of them? Any ideas.
All layers are visible and unlocked.

PS: I noticed that if I stretch the track segments, I can then delete them. Strange that lengthening them would change that behaviour.

Last edited:
Hi Martin,

Go to Content Manager.

Open your track for edit for all but built-in/DLC, wait a few seconds, the submit and the track will become track again. The other symptom of this issue is the inability to place track-objects next to the track.

On one particular route, all my track I was using turned to scenery type objects!

I was using a built-in track but even then, wouldn't all of the track instances be affected the same way? I had just a few track segments that were misbehaving. All the rest were still acting like normal tracks. I did a bulk replace and used one of my own tracks. I had already stretched and deleted the misbehaving ones but will keep this in mind if it happens again.

Reading more about layers, I noticed that it is recommended to place all tracks and associated object on the built-in route layer and to not rename it. So I merged the DEM created rail layer into the route layer. Seems to work better but that might be my observation bias.

There is a bit of a lag when doing some modifications. Raising and lowering seems pretty quick as well as moving horizontally. After splitting a spline, horizontal moves sometimes are a bit slow. Deleting track segments are slow to update. The spline circle disappears but the track can take up to a minute to to disappear. Sometimes major parts of the scenery will blank out and take a while to repopulate. Admittedly, the route is on the big size with a lot of track and other objects created by TransDEM. All my editing must be stressing the database.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, now back to my new route.

I'm glad you got things working. I keep all my track and associated objects on the route layer and only use other layers for scenery items.

The redraw issue is something that was introduced in SP2 and it's only marginally better with SP3.

Back