Can someone help me download a route?

xenium

Trainz Addict
Hi there everyone.

First off, let me explain that I've been a Trainz user off and on for more than a decade. I really, really want to love Trains, but it seems like it's always been a struggle... no matter how much time I put into it, I can just never seem to get things to work properly, to the point where I get frustrated and give up, sometimes for a few years, only to then start over and try again, only to get frustrated again. I'm also a semi-retired IT guy, so it's not as if I'm computer illiterate or anything, it's just that Trainz seems so... needlessly difficult.

So here I am, it's 2016, and I've decided to give it another go. I've only just gotten started, and it's already not going well with the very first thing I've tried to do... :-(

My setup: I currently own Trainz (the original), TRS2004, TS2010, and TS12. I also have a RailDriver controller. Since building this computer, I've never installed the original Trainz on it. I first installed TS2010. After reading multiple forum posts saying it was safe to do so, I also installed TS12, and then TRS2004, each in separate directories. So that's what I have now, three installs, three separate directories, installed in this order:

D:\games\TS2010
D:\games\TS12
D:\games\TRS2004

I've also installed the RailDriver software, configured video settings, and made sure all three installations are working, as far as basic functionality goes. So far, so good.

Now I'd like to download a new route, here's where everything goes to hell in a handbasket. :-(

I found this route on the download Station I liked:

https://www.auran.com/DLS/DLS_viewasset.php?AssetID=262399

So I hit the "Download with Content Manager" button, and Content Manager opened, I entered my logon info, and it started downloading it. I realized though that it was the TRS2004 Content Manager. It made sense that Firefox would launch the TRS2004 CM because it was the last one installed, but that wasn't the version of Trainz I wanted to install the route to, especially since the route is a 2009/2010 route. So I hit cancel and tried to figure out how to launch a different content manager. I eventually found Trainz Protocol Changer, and downloaded and used that to update my registry settings to have FireFox launch the CM for TS2010 instead:

http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php/trainz-protocol-changer

However, 2010's content manager gives the following error (remember, 2004's CM was downloading it fine, so we know that it does exist in the DLS, this is obviously a bogus error message):

"Unable to download 'City Switching'. Couldn't obtain a download URL. Item cannot be found on the Download Station."

Also, if from within 2010's CM I search for the route by KUID it finds it, shows the preview and description, etc. But again, if I try to download it, "Unable to download 'City Switching'. Couldn't obtain a download URL. Item cannot be found on the Download Station."

Sigh. So what am I doing wrong? Or perhaps I should say, what is Trainz doing wrong, and how do I work around the issue? How do I even debug this? Does CM log anything anywhere? The error message seems light on details.

Additional info: Although I really would like to use it with TS2010, for troubleshooting I tried downloading it with TS12's CM, and that seems to be working fine.

So it's only TS2010's CM that's effected.

Have you tried downloading using the FTP option?

If you have never used FTP before then follow these steps

• Locate the layout in the DLS white pages - search for text city switching and category Layouts
  • Click the Download Page link (usually under the image)
  • Click the Download FTP button
  • When it appears (there could be a delay) click the Save File option - the .cdp file will be downloaded to your browsers preferred download folder
  • In 2010 CM (or whatever it was called) import the .cdp file

Ive just looked up the route and it started to download fine in 2010. The route may have been updated to a higher build than what you have, mine was 49933. Newer versions tend to be a bit more picky than 2004 was so check you are patched up to the last build for 2010. TS12 has a higher build than 2010 so it will download fine.

Last edited:
Sigh. So what am I doing wrong? Or perhaps I should say, what is Trainz doing wrong, and how do I work around the issue? How do I even debug this? Does CM log anything anywhere? The error message seems light on details.

Have you tried opening 2010 Content Manager, entering your details, and downloading something else, like a small piece of scenery? If that works try downloading the route. But note that the route you are trying to download is build 3.3 - that will only work with 2010 if you have upgraded your installation to SP2 - you don't mention what updates you have installed.

If you have downloaded the route successfully into TS12 then there is an alternative option of exporting the route and all its dependencies to a CDP using TS12 Content Manager, then import the CDP using the 2010 Content Manager. However, be careful not to try and export any assets that are built-in to TS12 or are too high a build number for 2010.

Back