Can I run this disc in Trainz2019 or 2022 ??

craigdon

Hello All,
I recently discovered a disc containing a route etc. that had been created in either Trainz 2004 or Trainz 2006. If I remember correctly it was created by Garry Jenkinson who lived in Meadow Heights, Victoria, Australia, 3048 ?? What I would like to know is can it be used with Trainz 2019 Platinum Edition or Trainz 2022 ??
Can anyone advise me, I am in the UK.
craigdon

Last edited:
The disc should contain one or more .CDP files. They should load fine. Manage Content, file, import content.

Cheerio John

You may find that some content from that era will no longer pass quality control. Trainz has tightened its asset acceptance rules and we now have higher personal standards (e.g. the "billboard" trees from that era are now no longer "acceptable" to most users).

I recently installed one of my old TRS2009 routes into Trainz Plus and, to my surprise, it loaded without any errors or missing assets but visually it was a different story. It was literally stepping back in time. Many of its assets that were "acceptable" back then no longer matched my "updated" expectations.

My thoughts.

You can install the route but before you open it up for editing, you need to fix some files first otherwise you'll end up nothing but the sky.

Rename the route-name.bmk, .gnd, .obs, and .trk

To mapfile.bmk, .gnd, .obs, and .trk like this:

mapfile.bmk
mapfile.gnd
mapfile.lyr
mapfile.obs
mapfile.trc
mapfile.trk

If your route is backed up as a CDP, install it first in TRS19-Platinum then open for edit in Explorer in Content Manager to rename the files as shown.

If your route is in the old TRS2004 data directory folder format, then you can rename the files prior to importing the folder into TRS19-Platinum and save yourself a step.

I did this with an original route, version 2.0 of my first big route and it came in okay into TRS19. I then went about updating the trees, track, and everything else to current standards.

I have a list of 5 files on the disc as follows
1 Aberfeldy_DEM.TGA
2 Aberfeldy_minimap.TGA
3 Aberfeldy_vector.TGA
4 Transdem_OS20.cdp
5 Readme.txt
This is the Readme.txt :-
Following are the instructions for installing the various components of this route into Trainz, so that everything will work and appear as intended;

...in TRS 2004...

1. The entire Folder/Directory containing the five route files should be copied from the CD directly into your %Trainz%/World/Custom/Maps Directory. Once this is done, the route will be available the next time Surveyor is opened during a new session of Trainz.

2. The independant file "Transdem_OS20.cdp" may be copied to your %Trainz%/Download/ Directory and 'installed' in the normal manner by double LMB clicking on the file icon. Alternatively, it may be installed directly from the CD-R in the same manner.

...in TRS 2006...

Both the entire route Folder/Directory and the independant file "Transdem_OS20.cdp" will need to be imported using the CMP in the manner set out in the Trainz 2006 manual for such files. Please refer to that manual for further details.

If there are any issues as a result of these activities, please contact me via e-mail at garry_j_au.yahoo.com.au

I have tried to contact Garry but I have had no luck.
craigdon
PS I will probably start with John Whelan's suggestion and see what happens.

Last edited:
I have been to 2019 Platinum and tried to do what John (Whelan) suggested but with limited success. I can get the length of the screen Content Manager>Open for Editing and it displays the 2 DEM's 08 and 10. If I select TransDEM20 08 and right click it and select 'View Errors and Warnings' it gives the result in pic_2 and if I do the same withTransDEM20 10 it gives the result in pic_1
Sorry about that I thought I could attach a couple of pics
craigdon
EDIT
@pware, my thoughts exactly. It is bound to be outdated everything and probably easier to create a new Route.
@JCitron, I see what you say but again it looks as if it would be easier creating the route anew.

Last edited:
Can I run this disc in Trainz2019 or 2022 (SOLVED)

Hi All,
I'm back with the realisation that this route has been created using Transdem. I will go on that site and find out what I can about restoring these files.
Thanks for the help
craigdon

Hi,
the CDP file is the basic route and topography, together with the location and reference to the assets used (eg trees, track etc).
if the route can be imported into 2006, then re-exporting it as another CDP file will update the internal file references. From there, it may import directly into 19 or 22 alternatively via TANE.

As noted, lots of the trees/shrubs/grass assets will be old versions - they may not look right in the latest Trainz versions.
The other snag is that the CDP will need to download all the assets from the download station. If an asset has been removed, there will be a gap…

do you know how big the cdp file is?

Colin

Hi All,
I'm back with the realisation that this route has been created using Transdem. I will go on that site and find out what I can about restoring these files.
Thanks for the help
craigdon

If you import the route into TRS19 or TRS22, you need to fix the files as I noted.

After installing the route from the CDP via Content Manager:

Disregard any missing dependencies initially.

Right-click on the route in Content Manager.

Choose Open in Explorer. (Opens up Windows File Explorer)

Rename the same files to these:

route-name.bmk becomes mapfile.bmk

The same with the remaining files which become:

mapfile.gnd
mapfile.lyr
mapfile.obs
mapfile.trc
mapfile.trk

Once done, close the folder.

Back in Content Manager, right click on the route and choose Submit.

You can now download any missing dependencies or install them from disk.

Hi,
the CDP file is the basic route and topography, together with the location and reference to the assets used (eg trees, track etc).
if the route can be imported into 2006, then re-exporting it as another CDP file will update the internal file references. From there, it may import directly into 19 or 22 alternatively via TANE.

As noted, lots of the trees/shrubs/grass assets will be old versions - they may not look right in the latest Trainz versions.
The other snag is that the CDP will need to download all the assets from the download station. If an asset has been removed, there will be a gap…

Colin

The cdp file (Transdem_OS20.cdp) is 32.0 KB. Hope this helps.
craigdon

Hi,

Colin
Yes, it says 32Kb. Hope this helps.
craigdon
Sorry about the double post. I am getting in a fair bit of a muddle here and am going to shut down and get to bed
craigdon

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the help I have received here, this is the best forum for me.
@JCitron, I have carried out your suggestions (I think) and now when I start Trainz2019 and select 'Routes' I can get a blank box with Aberfeldy in the heading and a red spot with an exclamation mark (!) in it. So I reckon I am beginning to wear it down ;)
Where can I go now ??
craigdon

EDIT I have had a look at the route and it shows in CM as Aberfeldy Modified,Faulty. A right click gives 1 errors and 4 warnings.
Validating<HUID75943:100695>
VE48 This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.
VE194 Tag 'Region' does not contain a valid kuid:Britain
VE61Required tag 'region' was missing and has been set to default.
VE62Required container 'thumbnails' is missing.
VE146 An asset must be specified for tag 'water'
I don't know if it is worth carrying on trying to get this to work. I have had a look at Transdem and am thinking of buying and using it to do the Fife routes especially the new Leven branch. Any advice is appreciated for this old bloke.
craigdon

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the help I have received here, this is the best forum for me.
@JCitron, I have carried out your suggestions (I think) and now when I start Trainz2019 and select 'Routes' I can get a blank box with Aberfeldy in the heading and a red spot with an exclamation mark (!) in it. So I reckon I am beginning to wear it down ;)
Where can I go now ??
craigdon

EDIT I have had a look at the route and it shows in CM as Aberfeldy Modified,Faulty. A right click gives 1 errors and 4 warnings.
Validating<HUID75943:100695>
VE48 This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.
VE194 Tag 'Region' does not contain a valid kuid:Britain
VE61Required tag 'region' was missing and has been set to default.
VE62Required container 'thumbnails' is missing.
VE146 An asset must be specified for tag 'water'
I don't know if it is worth carrying on trying to get this to work. I have had a look at Transdem and am thinking of buying and using it to do the Fife routes especially the new Leven branch. Any advice is appreciated for this old bloke.
craigdon

I'm glad I could help at least to get the route in. I wouldn't give up just yet because you're almost there, and I would definitely get TransDem anyway. I use that quite a bit myself and it's quite addicting. You can ignore the warnings. All of these errors, except for part of the thumbnail error, are easily repaired by editing the config.txt file which requires an extra couple of easy steps.

The region and water tag have changed since TRS2004 days. Instead of using words, the actual built-in Kuid needs to be specified.

In Content Manager, right-click on your route and choose Open... then Edit Config file. This will open the file in Notepad. Do not change any formatting and keep anything within quotes the same. When you need to insert spaces, use the space bar and not the Tab key.

You will have to add KUIDs twice in a config.txt file.

For the tag region:

Replace 'Britian' with <kuid:-25:926>

For the tag water:

Add in

water <kuid:-1:6342>

Look for kuid-table.

Add in the same Kuid numbers into the list.

<kuid:-25:926>
<kuid:-1:6342>

Part 1: For the thumbnail, add in this container you can put this below the kuid-table:

thumbnails
{
{
image "thumbnail.jpg"
width 512
height 384
}
}

Save your config.txt file and close it after making these modifications.

Create a thumbnail in a paint or photo editor such as Paint.net using the same size shown.

Back in Content Manager:

Right-click again on your route.
Click Open...
Click Show in Explorer.

This will open a File Explorer window.
Copy in your thumbnail.jpg file.

Close File Explorer.

Back in Content Manager, right-click on your route and choose Submit.

Cross fingers... and all should be good. If you have any errors, report them here. :)

Thanks again John, I am feeling a lot better about getting something out of this with your help.
Transdem was purchased this morning so that will be something else for me to muck up in my usual style lol
I have printed off your advice here as it is the only way I can carry out a list of instructions, I will let you know when I finish with this lot.
take care and stay safe
craigdon
EDIT I have been back and carried out your recommendations but with little success. When I start Tranz2019 and select Route the box still shows up blank with the exclamation mark. When I click to Open a Session, on the left box it says "Region Generic" and Total Sessions 0, Sessions played 0 And the words
" This is a DEM based route of the Highland Railways Aberfeldy Branch which ran off the Perth to Inverness Main Line from Ballinluig to Aberfeldy. The route includes a portion of the Main Line from Dunkeld to Pitlochry.

ANOTHER EDIT I have had another look and and changed the thumbnail name from aberfeldy to thumbnail and that has got rid of the 'thumbnail error. Thanks a million John we are getting somewhere at last. I can open TRS19 and select the route Aberfeldy and it shows the thumbnail in all its glory. WHOOPEE. There are no sessions for this and I had a look at the route but there is nothing visible just a blank page.

Last edited:
Back