California Needs High Speed Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
..."High Speed Rail" can have a surprisingly loose term. What was the Acela units designed for?..
It was designed to be a high speed train. It hasn't operated as a high speed train, although it does move faster than average on a few short sections. Those sections are very popular, but it's not consistent enough to make the grade. By high speed train, I mean a train that actually does run at high speed, consistently and reliably, and over the majority of the route.

And anyone who knows that we have smog licked should wander down to the local air resources board and talk to some people. It's a lot better than it was, but you still really shouldn't breathe any more than you really have to. And don't worry. You won't be forced to ride the train at gun point. If you don't like fast, comfortable and efficient transportation, you won't be forced to enjoy it. You can always wedge yourself into an airline seat and enjoy the view on the taxi-way while you wait for your turn to take off. Bring lots of money. The air is really dry in the cabin, so you'll want to buy a glass of water.
Do they charge extra for the seat belt yet?

:cool: Claude

Superfudd!

Right on. Do you remember back in the 70s when you couldn't see the Santa Cruz mountains from San Jose because of the smog? I do. Now the only time they disappear is when we have fog, not smog.

Indeed bl4882. I remember walking out the front door in San Lorenzo one fall day in the late fifties and being startled to see the hills above San Leandro. I had not seen them in months and had almost forgot they were there. :eek:

Yes smog is still a major, even deadly problem in much of the world. I do remember the situation in London in the early fifties. We have beat that monster and shown the world how to do so. If they choose not to, oh well.
However the MAN MADE global warming lie only distracts from, even derails efforts to do what needs to be done to reach a more just a sustainable society.
The world may indeed be warming and if it is, we need to prepare for it. Trying to stop it is a waste of energy, so to speak.

Back to high speed trains from the Bay Area and Cental Valley to Los Angeles. Even if it was a good idea, and it is not, how the bleep can government / we / taxes / pay for it?? The state government is already running a HUGE deficit. Just ask the Governator. Maybe in another place in another time but NOT here and now.

Northern California, a tropical climate?? :hehe:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scientific+studies+on+global+warming&aq=2&oq=scientific+studies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change

Disprove me please. Interesting to note that some studies that try to disprove this have been funded by oil companies or industries related to oil consumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global..._not_acknowledge_anthropogenic_global_warming

Even if I gave you the benefit of the doubt and said that it was a lie, why would depending on fossil fuels which are finite, tied to places that are politically instable, substances which corrupt a democratic political process, destroy wildlife and nature, result in havoc for those who live in places that have these substances (like Africa, the Middle East) can cause air pollution, cancer, acid rain, be justifiable? Like it or not, we must research alternative energy and start using it wisely and more often.

For better or worse, humanity is dependant on each other and our actions affect each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kyoto_Protocol_signatories

Why is it that America is the only country that wont commit or wont sign? Has the world gone mad? Or is the world just stupid?

Perhaps instead of building a high speed rail link though, the goverment could put that money into creating alternative powerplants, more funding for mass transit, etc...which would also have a positive effect that is more noticeable.

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Why is it that America is the only country that wont commit or wont sign? Has the world gone mad? Or is the world just stupid?

The official reason that we haven't signed is that the Kyoto protocol doesn't include "developing" countries - Cuba, China, Columbia, basically countries that start with the letter "C".

I dunno if y'all have been to Beijing recently, but man, it's a dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back