Angry Members

Hi all,
I've been arround a while as you know. It's been a tough while, perhaps even longer, with what's been happening, but established members are hardened to such things and get on with the important things..........survival and enjoying the mutual interest, TRAINZ.
Some of the posts I've read recently seem to be all about certain individuals intent on 'twisting the knife' and making things worse than they are..........the preverbial prophets of doom. They are never far away and put quite simply... (The essence of this post) I'm seeing posts from members I've never seen posts from in the past, they are all extremely angry and when you check their profiles you find that they are 14 or so years of age..........I know a lot of angry 14 year olds but generally don't take any of them seriously.
What I am glad to see is that the Moderators are closing off these provocative posts early, but they seem to be on the increase..
The standard joining date of Nov 2006 fails to categorise the old-timers from the newbies and hence the problem now being encountered.

Cheers,

Ian

As you say It's getting harder to tell who's who.You can't tell if someones been here for 1 day or since day 1 let alone how old someone is they could be anywhere between 10 & 100 unless you recognize their user names as regulars.As age & DOB are not mandatory in your profile it's hard to judge anything about a person at times.The joined date is still there Auran may or may not be able to fix this with their now lower staff numbers.An easier way may be to make the date of birth Field in the profile mandatory,which means everyone would have to update their profiles.At least you would know how old members are which may explain allot of the posts.

Dave

Fine attitude you two have about young people. If you're under 21, then you are not to be taken seriously. Quite honestly, I've seen kids younger with more savvy than us old timers. When does age influence credibility? I hope you treat your grandchildren better than the younger members here.

Fine attitude you two have about young people. If you're under 21, then you are not to be taken seriously. Quite honestly, I've seen kids younger with more savvy than us old timers. When does age influence credibility? I hope you treat your grandchildren better than the younger members here.

I'm not having a go at anyone just saying you don't have a clue how old the person is you are talking to or wrote the post.there are allot of younger members here who's knowledge is far greater than mine.

All I'm saying is it would give you an idea of the age of the person you are talking to not how intelligent they are.

There was a post a week or so ago asking for help. The reply was more or less Hi there youngster now lets sort this out.The reply was from someone in their 50's the question was from someone in their 70's from memory.

Dave

And yet another thread quickly turns into an argument ?
I agree that age is not a factor in one's ability to carry on a decent , polite , thread , but I also agree that 'short' and rude posts are more likely to have been created by younger members (in my case under the age of 64 (LOL)). I believe it might be connected to the " have it today, have it now attitude that today's society somehow conveys to them " ?
"But I Could Be Wrong " --Tim Wilson

Just my Thoughts ---DLR

I think there is a danger of over generalising.Sure there are some youngsters who have yet to learn the etiquette of posting on a forum,but there are also some very well mannered and intelligent ones.Conversely there are a few cantankerous and abrupt oldies on here too.I am probably one of them.
The statement of not taking angry youngsters seriously,should also be applied to the forum
Regards Bruce

Whats really confusing is what is the age limit for considered to be "youngsters" I'm 16 years old,and I hate when some people talk to me like I'm 2 and don't have a clue of what the hell is going on,I mean in my state of Connecticut I can drive and hold a full time job(if your not in school that is) but as I continue my education the world opens up a little more after each week or so.And even though 16 may be considered young in some places,16 here is considered almost full grown and can take on almost full responsibilities.

The easiest solution is to call everyone "young man" then you are either accepted by a youngster as being polite, or, I make an old man very happy for the day, it's a win, win situation for me.......And I generally always have my questions answered because of it. :hehe:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman. :wave:

Perhaps this generational gap is double-sided. The young adults on this forum are used to being able to express themselves openingly, whether it be with their friends, through school, or through an online blog or forum. Use of free speech, and mannerisms have changed throughout the years.

I'm young, just 2 months shy of being 22. I was only 18 when I joined the forums (widened my horizons... :p ). But I am also an only child, so I tend to relate to "adults" better than I do the younger generation.

The harsh language used by the younger generations in here may not be out of disrespect, trust me -respect is everything to teenagers. It may be more of a form of casual converstion or slang; a sign that these whipper-snappers are confortable enough around the rest of us to be themselves.

Then again these impressions may also be why I was an outcast in high school.......

Hello

I may have no reason to get ino this discussion, but thanks to those of you who who are open-minded and support both sides of the so-called "generation gap", the young and the old alike. It makes this forum a much friendlier place. If I may make a suggestion to all who post in this forum, not only this thread, please don't make negative posts. I mean, don't rant and rave about the things that annoy you here. Just try to correct them, not by blowing your top, but by gently reminding members of the etiquette of the forum. Sorry to sound like a whistle blower, but it really bothers me when people vent all their frustration on other people.

T. Guard

I think the tone of the forum is much more positive than many other forums I've seen that are not by invitation only.

Yes I see some people who want instant answers but generally if you take the time to explain how things work they calm down.

The nice thing about the youngsters is they do have a lot of ideas and energy and we have quite a few creations to attest to that. However some of the older members have a great deal of experience and can assist it giving some guidance as to what works and what does not. Trainz also attracts people with some form of disability and for those with metal heath problems the forums help in some way by giving them social contact.

If you look at the mood changes seen in a teenager then think about the fact that a 40 year old with the same mood swings would be considered as being mentally ill.

Kind of interesting, also many of the youngsters see things in black and white rather than shades of grey.

I kind of like the mix as it is, and if anyone wants to call me young man, I'd be delighted to hear it.

Cheerio John

Some very good points made by young and old in this thread .
Gave me cause to go back and reread my post ! I will not edit it , but I will most certainly take into consideration what others are posting .

I have two grandsons, 15 and 13, I have slowly begun to realize that the young have their way of expressing theirselves, due to the life style they have become accustomed to, their friends and their social interactions, text messages, and forums . Us older duffs have no friends or social interactions, do not understand text messaging, only Trainz !

---DLR :)

Last edited:
Some very good points made by young and old in this thread .
Gave me cause to go back and reread my post ! I will not edit it , but I will most certainly take into consideration what others are posting .

I have two grandsons, 15 and 13, I have slowly begun to realize that the young have their way of expressing theirselves, due to the life style they have become accustomed to, their friends and their social interactions, text messages, and forums . Us older duffs have no friends or social interactions, do not understand text messaging, only Trainz !

---DLR :)

I totally disagree with your last statement "Us older duffs have no friends or social interactions, do not understand text messaging, only Trainz !" My dog loves me & my kids still take me out to an ATM when they need a loan.

Whether we like it or not the younger generation is our future some of us have had our turn now all we can do is give a bit of advice & hope to steer them in the right direction.

Dave

I think the tone of the forum is much more positive than many other forums I've seen that are not by invitation only.

... also many of the youngsters see things in black and white rather than shades of grey.
Cheerio John

You bring up a great point, the ability to see 'greyscale' is something that comes with age and experience. I thought when I graduated high school that I had a great understanding of the world. Now, four years later and just months from earning my college degree, I realize how much I have left to learn (darnit, that ain't fair, what did I pay tuition for...:p )

My Grandmother has always said 'Patience is a virtue', the comment usually being directed at my parents :hehe: . But its something that I've taken to heart. If there is something that is upsetting you, examine it; learn why it upsets you. Then once you have a clear view of the issue figure out if you need to fix it, co-exist with it (just accept it), or if you need to ignore/avoid it.

Its all here in the book "Zen and the Art of Auran Forums"!

Slightly off topic: A while back there was a thread pondering the cycles that this forum goes through, as far as attitudes and openess. Is it just me or in the last week has there been an increase in the number of people pushing open-mindedness and politeness, myself included, on the forums? I find this change in the general attitude very pleasing. :)

Last edited:
... I thought when I graduated high school that I had a great understanding of the world. Now, four years later and just months from earning my college degree, I realize how much I have left to learn (darnit, that ain't fair, what did I pay tuition for...:p )
Four years out of high school?....that makes you, what...22 or 23..? Wait another 30 or 40 years and you'll realize you didn't know much of anything...:hehe: :cool:

I've noticed a lot of the angsty posts here too (and, admittedly, participated in a few of the more heated debates) that seem to be popping up recently. I think most of it can probably be traced back to the beginning of the troubles at Auran; things are getting strained, and a lot of people are unsure about the future of Trainz, in spite of Aiden and Co's reassurances that everything is fine...not that I don't believe them, I do; it's just that a week before Auran slipped into bankruptcy, Tony Hilliam himself was insisting all was rosy daisies in Brisbane!

Hopefully, as Auran re-adjusts its goals and gets settled into a new business role, things will calm down and become a little more certain, and the community will return to the state it was in before everything started going sour.

By the way, I personally do not subscribe in the least to the concept of younger posters being more immature by default. I have seen people who are in their late 20's and mid 30's come in swearing and griping about everything, and throwing a fit in general. Conversely, I have seen members as young as 11 posting with the maturity and insight (and spelling/grammar :hehe: ) of someone three times their age.

Great just what Auran needs. Another speculative diss wonder post.

I suggest to those that want to know what's going on with Auran, read the posts by the Auran team that is if you want to know what is really going on as opposed to opinions here and wild baseless speculation there.

Cheers

AJ

Post Removed:

Please keep the posts in this thread constructive, nonjudgmental, friendly and nonfractious.

Cheers

AJ

Great just what Auran needs. Another speculative diss wonder post.

I suggest to those that want to know what's going on with Auran, read the posts by the Auran team that is if you want to know what is really going on as opposed to opinions here and wild baseless speculation there.

Cheers

AJ

I give up.

I try to offer one possible explanation for why everyone's stressed out here, and get in reply a fine example of the angsty posts that the topic starter is calling to attention. Perhaps that's another reason why things are getting a bit out of hand; someone says something, and another person hyper-reacts to it in an extremely negative way.

Back