An Open Letter To All

The simulator may have changed from what you like, but if that's the case then stick with what you like, obviously people are happy with the evolution of the product, or 2006 wouldnt be so popular, would it?

change happens, it's inevitable, and, to be frank, there's not much you can do about it.

Since you like 04 better, then surely just stick with that.

all i can say is this: if you dont like it, dont use it :)

But now I'm an outsider looking in, and maybe the community hasn't changed, maybe just my perspective of it has. Regardless, from my point of view, it doesn't seem to be the happy, friendly community I joined.

I believe the tempo of this thread was set by your opening post .
Your letter does not appear to me as having a happy , friendly message ?
But I could be wrong ---

--- ,DLR

Welcome home, Salesman. I've also tried TRS06, but I didn't see the point, so I stayed with 04. I like the working industries. It's like having a Lionel set with lots of room.
... I'm amused that no one else bristled...
highhorse2qo.jpg
!
I'm too mellow. I'll leave bristling to the experts.
Nice picture. We need more yurts in Trainz.

:cool: Claude

Hey Dude,

Just thought I'd say hi to an old friend.

Anyway, you guys are making to much noise and I'm trying to take a nap over here so why don't ya'll shush your pie holes and go do something productive for society.

Hey Bad Trash - good to see you back.

I'd like to make a few points in response. The bigger a community gets the more it fractures into smaller groups. That is human nature. Everyone liking everyone else and agreeing on everything isn't a pre-requisite for enjoying Trainz (or life).

I'll agree that previous Trainz products have had their strengths and weaknesses. The goal with TS2009 is to make the best ever version of Trainz and to re-unite as many people as possible onto a single base platform. From there we can continue to improve the product for many more years.

Regarding model sim or real sim, I believe Trainz is flexible enough to be anything you want. And for 2009, Content Manager has been totally overhauled so I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed with that.

Cheers

Tony

Salesman

I'm not going to castigate you for expressing an opinion, that's fine by me.

I want to ask about this supposed link between community spirit and how the game changed from a model railroad simulator to a railroad simulator. Are you really saying there is a link or did I completely misread that? I'm having trouble imagining how they can be associated, other than by coincidence.

Personally, I think I would have left Trainz a long time ago if TRS2004 and its interactive industries had not come along. It gave the layouts some purpose and required design rigour that was previously lacking in UTC. If it had not evolved that way maybe there would no longer be any 'community'.

If you still prefer the imaginary "model railroad" approach; just don't add the interactive industries. We can all be happy.

Dean

Last edited:
Salesman

I'm not going to castigate you for expressing an opinion, that's fine by me.

(SNIP)

If you still prefer the imaginary "model railroad" approach; just don't add the interactive industries. We can all be happy.

Dean

1: That's not why I did.

2: The industries are no different than the Lionel ( "Log Loader!" ) Type that you can add to any Model RR. I believe they had these for HO scale as well. I don't see why that feature would cause Trainz to drift from Model to Proto in any way.

Disagreeing with a poster doesn't necessarily imply that you think they don't have a right to express their opinion.

06 without sp-1, is the only thing i have, and am using, and basically i just don't even think about using cmp's download "helper". it WAS a bear to indstall, from the five cd's. but other then half of cmp not working exactly like its interface sort of looks like it ought to, and 06 w/o sp-1 not being able to find the maps of layouts created with 06 and later, those are, as far as i can see, not having had earlier experiences with previous iterations, the only real, to me shortcommings of it. (and those, i'm led to believe, would be solved, if, when, one of these days i get arround to sending off for the dvd that includes sp-1, which is also, or was, downloadable on line, sp-1 that is, if you've got a connection with enough bandwidth it won't take longer to download then your isp, and or phone company, will let you stay on line)

sounds to me, like the op was pretty darn luckey in a lot of ways. i mean life is always a mix of every kind of luck for almost everybody. i know mine has been.

i found my trs 2006 in the local fry's (big computer and tecnology store), the only one, kind of tucked away hidden, almost behind the regester, behind almost everything else, on the bottem shelf, in the games section, where i don't even usually bother looking.

it said 19.95 on the box, and its still the best 20 bux i've ever spent on a piece of software.

even if it did drive me up the wall trying to get it to install when i first got it.

Hi Dave (Od School Trainzer) - welcome back to the world of Trainz. Actually we do share the same surname (even correct spelling), and my Dad did have a bike (in the UK) so I know he "got around". Also he was in the US in the early 1940's so if that fits chronologically!!!!!!!!! Of course you may have pre-decessors who were in the UK some time back!!!!!!!!!

To business: TRS2004 was (stress WAS) certainly my favourite. TRS2006 is gathering dust after so many frustrations HOWEVER ............. TC3 is totally amazing,. The sound alone is something that warrants hooking the pc through a good sound system. Sure it has its moments but the +++++'s certainly outweigh the -----'s.

:D

Colin.

Hi All
There's a dispute going on in this post (apart from the forum) about the best Trainz release. I'm dead opposite to Colin (driver_col), my 2004 is gathering dust while my 2006 is used daily.
Perhaps it would be interesting if we started a new post so everyone can put there own pros and cons, and perhaps Tony could tell us what 2009 has implemented to draw the previous releases together.
As a footnote, my original Trainz and TUC haven't seen the light of day for years.
Cheers
Pete

Hi All
Perhaps it would be interesting if we started a new post so everyone can put there own pros and cons.
Cheers
Pete

Hi Pete: This has been hammered for so long now and there will never be a "one answer result" for anybody due to the variety of reasons people get hooked on Trainz. A newcomer might wish to:

- Watch the trains go by.
- Drive them rather simplistically.
- Drive them with more realistic functionality.
- Strategize to accomodate interactive aspects.
- Use trains as an excuse to admire the scenery as it goes past.
- Try and create their own landscape.
- Try and create assets.

And then of course there are possible specifics:

- Country?
- Era?
- Railway company?
- Consist type?

.........and no doubt much more if I spent more time thinking about it. Of course comparing with competative products would also assist a newcomer. Based on all the above, and the fact that I believe competative products can have the "edge" over Trainz depending on where the interest is, I can recognize the basis for a thread on pros and cons but do not see an end value. Rather I see potential users being more bedazzled by choices resulting in confusion.

My experience (presumed to be not unusual) was to buy Trainz due to a railway interest from a long time ago together with the very nominal cost attached to the software. However, whereas I bought it out of general interest, my focus now is more on creating layouts than it is "playing trains"! To me therefore, the Surveyor option functionality is optimum ...... but I would not have known that unless I had simply played and experimented a few years ago.

By the way, for anybody who is on this thread and interested, Valleyfields (duly modified for TC3) is in final stages of testing and should hopefully be on DLS within the next 10-14 days.

Just some thoughts!

Regards. Colin.

Hi Col,
I can see your point and totally agree.
Like you my enjoyment is route creation, always have been.
I remember when route-building consisted of a couple of sheets of Plywood and a Triang/Hornby scale layout.
One such route took me two years to complete, cost a small fortune, and took up my entire attic/loft. When I finished it, played with it twice, and give it to my kids.:)
Cheers
Pete

Hi Col,
I remember when route-building consisted of a couple of sheets of Plywood and a Triang/Hornby scale layout.
Pete

That fires up many 00 Triang memories however, working in miniature was getting proportionately more frustrating with the more birthdays I had! Working on a pc monitor is so much easier and (with the greatest respect to model railway fanatics) ........ one can do far more with Trainz!

Regards. Colin.

That fires up many 00 Triang memories however, working in miniature was getting proportionately more frustrating with the more birthdays I had! Working on a pc monitor is so much easier and (with the greatest respect to model railway fanatics) ........ one can do far more with Trainz!

Regards. Colin.

Hi
Once again I totally agree. I mentioned the model railway to emphasise my interest in Route Creation more than anything else.
I guess I'll be the same with Trainz, create a route, use it a few times, making sure everything works, upload it and start the next one.:)
Cheers
Pete.

Regarding what The_Salesman's original post/letter is about, please do not include me as part of the "all". And yes I have my reasons, which I will not go into.

Red_Rattler

Hey BT and all those whom I recognize on this thread. Wow long time eh? Good to see so many recognizable names :wave:

I'm looking forward to 09, hoping to get back into it again. I also tried 06 a couple months back and it crashed to many times for me to worry about trying to reinstall it again. I read the forums and updated it to SP1 and all. I figured it was partly due to using Vista and all its hangups, and with 09 just around the corner I figured I'd wait it out.

I'm hoping with big hopes 09 will be more stable overall.

Looking forward to getting into Trainz again and making the forums a habitual daily thing like it used to be. Haven't been around much since 'the incident' with the forums. That is not why I've not been around, just coincided with everything else in life.

I'm still the rabid Southern Pacific fan I always was, still love trains from all over the world, EU-UK-US. I'd still love to one day make a Class 31 with a Fragonset livery, my favorite UK loco. I'm sure by now many have already been built for Trainz, but its just one of those things I'd love to make one for the fun of it. Still get excited to see a true Southern Pacific loco now and then passing through town. Usually don't have a camera handy when that happens either, dang it.

Hoping to get reacquainted with those I knew back in the day and make new friends with those who've come on board in the last years.

Good luck to you Tony and Auran and may Trainz continue on for many many years. Looking forward to 09. :)

Back