About this backward compatibility claim !

I guess it is kind of a no-brainer to realize that one can't count on the game being backwardly compatible with previous versions since even certain builds of the same game are not backwardly compatible with previous builds of the same game!!!!!!

I put this in the 2022 forum because I decided to bite the bullet and start all over again in Trainz 2022.

I started with the 2019 updated version of my favorite route: " Rocky Mountains Montana Track " that is available on the download station and I guess that may have been a mistake because if it was modified in an early build of 2019, then I should have guessed that since the modifications that I made in 2019 are not working in 2022 then I probably should have started with the original version of the route.

Here is what I got:

I first wanted to see if I could send AI from both ends of the route to the other and that looks like it works, the passenger train emitting from Portal Shelby can see and travel to portal Whitefish and the passenger train emitting from Portal Whitefish can travel to Portal Shelby with no problems.

But, when I add all the station stops in-between, four of the eleven stations cannot be seen by the AI. When the command comes up for those stations there is a red X over the command, and it gives the following message:

Error: Cannot find destination "(name of station)"

I don't think it is even a problem with cross-over track being broken because it is the same four stations that can't be found by both the East-bound and West-bound passenger trains. It is as if the station which can be seen by me is not actually connected to the track and when I delete the command to get my train to move on the next station, as it passes through the unfound station, there appears to be no passengers on the station platform.

I guess my next move is to start the process over with the original version?????

Thanks

Wild Willy the Wacko

Backward compatibility is never an option with software at least with Trainz. With Trainz, the content in the previous version works in the new version. In the case of TANE up, it's currently at 99% or so compatible with less and less older content due to how the content was made, or rather incorrectly made. The Content Repair Group, or CRG for short is in the process of updating faulty old content to make that old content work as well in new versions.

The problem you have sounds like you've got layers mixed up. If you did some editing on the session and not the route, then items will not appear on the route the next time you open up the route for editing. To repair this, you need to open the session and merge the session-layer into the route-layer and then save. As always, got into Content Manager and export your route and session first to a CDP to ensure there's a backup prior to doing anything like this. By doing this, you'll have success, and the backup will be just a backup. If you don't do this first, there's a guaranty that the process will go south, and you'll lose your route and session.

You may have a bug in the TRS19 route that broke the connection between industry assets and its attached track. SP4 did brake some attachments when moved to later versions. The track still runs through the station but the station is not attached to the track so can not be seen by the train. Replace the station will cure that problem and any other fixed track asset like crossings may also be effected.

How exactly do I merge the layers?

Backward compatibility is never an option with software at least with Trainz. With Trainz, the content in the previous version works in the new version. In the case of TANE up, it's currently at 99% or so compatible with less and less older content due to how the content was made, or rather incorrectly made. The Content Repair Group, or CRG for short is in the process of updating faulty old content to make that old content work as well in new versions.

The problem you have sounds like you've got layers mixed up. If you did some editing on the session and not the route, then items will not appear on the route the next time you open up the route for editing. To repair this, you need to open the session and merge the session-layer into the route-layer and then save. As always, got into Content Manager and export your route and session first to a CDP to ensure there's a backup prior to doing anything like this. By doing this, you'll have success, and the backup will be just a backup. If you don't do this first, there's a guaranty that the process will go south, and you'll lose your route and session.

Is saving new route and session the way to do it or is there another instruction to click on to do this?

Isn't it better to start over as I describe above by re-downloading the original route from the DLS or are you saying I should merge layers in that newly downloaded route???

Things were all working when I had a working build of 2019, it's trying to make it work in 2022 that is the problem.

Thanks

Wild Willy the Wacko

Last edited:
A small amount of success !!!!

I downloaded the Rocky Mountains Montana Track New ERA version ( <kuid2:181290:100273:17> ) and I ran a test to see if my passenger trains could see all the stations from Whitefish to Shelby and back and all is well.

Who knows what other evil lurks???

But I see this as a very good sign that I will be able to use my favorite route in 2022, I'll just have to take a month or two to re-construct the route and session I want again.

Wild Willy the Wacko

Like John said, like 99% of older assets will work fine in the newer versions

Since a few years, Trainz is in a transition, from loading all of the route at start,
to just loading a section of the map and when you reach another section load that part
to do this:
-the route save format has been split into many sections based on baseboards
-scripts are changing to load just what is in the neighborhood

For some driver commands to work however, we do need all to be loaded
if you give a command to navigate to a passenger station, 300 baseboard away, it must be available to the driver command
if you want to set junctions in advance, also all junctions need to be found
Wait for trigger, requires all triggers to be found, or the driver command greys out
All trains/consist must be available(known) or you can't switch to them

So I do understand that to make larger routes, you need parts loaded, parts not loaded
but many assets used in a route must be always available, atleast a reference to them

There is a new search system introduced, but instead of 1 line it takes atleast 20 and is too complex
it is unclear what result we get, and what the sequence is, unclear what the maximum is(heard 1000)
As example, my mainroute NLW7 has about 8000 Signals used, a 1k limit is for me a no go

With TRS22 suddenly new script functions are enforced, breaking many scripts
A few hard working CRG members do their best to repair, but it's just too much.
Besides that some cannot be repaired if they are encrypted and the original creator is gone (RIP Andy)

Have suggested a few times, the native scripts, need to catch the old functions
and translate them behind the scenes to what is required now.
You cannot blame amateur scripter/content creators for mistakes made by Auran in 2000
we made content and used guidelines as they were at the time.

Every faulty asset, drives users away and gives Trainz a bad name
we want to play Trainz, not Repair Simulator

Last edited:
Back