2010EE First Impressions

I was one of the lucky ones and started the download last nite around 9 pm. It finished at 2:30 am with no problems.

Computer specs:

Intel Core2 duo 2.3ghz on an Asus board
4 gig of good ram, (not the cheap stuff)
Nvidia 9800GT w/1 gig of memory
Windows7 64Bit Home Premium
the rest is standard fare

I run Trainz @ 1680x1050 native resolution for my monitor. Just for those that don't know......running apps in a lower resolution than native may decrease the quality of the image. Something to do with scaling I think.

4x AA
16x AF

Trainz runs in default Native Mode

I get a slight amount of studders when rounding a bend or other area that requires scenery to be loaded. Occasionally will get a hiccup of up to a half second.

I think the SpeedTreez look great. Loading up the Northern Pacific Lookout Pass Line route I see hundreds of treez. It's amazing to me how so many individually placed treez and things still run smooth. There is a good variety of species and some fall colors too. The non SpeedTreez are easily spotted along the route. I think they blend in OK.
Some of the treez don't look realistic. Kinda reminds me of "Tolken" stuff. Elves and ogres and green animals may jump out at any moment. The movement of the SpeedTreez is what's nice. Really adds to the immersion factor. Zooming in on a forest and one will see all the treez swaying to a fro.

I did notice there were no carz driving around. May be specific to that route.

The interface has changed quite a bit. Looks nice. After loading up a route most everything else is the same as 2009.

Murchison2 gave me some problems on install. Made it so 2010 wouldn't load. Uninstall 2010, re-install 2010 then copied the Murchison2.ja file over and did a database repair and all is good.

Murchison treez look very bad in 2010 running in native mode. Everything else looks good. Switching over to Compatibility Mode and the treez look like they did in 2009. I did not notice any performance decrease when running in Compatibility Mode. However, I did notice a lot of treez flickering. Like more than half of them. There was no flickering in Native Mode.

There is a nice .pdf manual for 2010EE in the Extras folder. Or simply clik on the Manual button on the Trainz GUI.

I was a bit disappointed to learn that the layers function does not apply to ground textures and water.

I am quite happy with the purchase. I think Auran has done a really good job with this release.

Randy

Last edited:
I was one of the lucky ones and started the download last nite around 9 pm. It finished at 2:30 am with no problems.

Computer specs:

Intel Core2 duo 2.3ghz on an Asus board
4 gig of good ram, (not the cheap stuff)
Nvidia 9800GT w/1 gig of memory
Windows7 64Bit Home Premium
the rest is standard fare

I run Trainz @ 1680x1050 native resolution for my monitor. Just for those that don't know......running apps in a lower resolution than native may decrease the quality of the image. Something to do with scaling I think.

4x AA
16x AF

Trainz runs in default Native Mode

I get a slight amount of studders when rounding a bend or other area that requires scenery to be loaded. Occasionally will get a hiccup of up to a half second.

I think the SpeedTreez look great. Loading up the Northern Pacific Lookout Pass Line route I see hundreds of treez. It's amazing to me how so many individually placed treez and things still run smooth. There is a good variety of species and some fall colors too. The non SpeedTreez are easily spotted along the route. I think they blend in OK.
Some of the treez don't look realistic. Kinda reminds me of "Tolken" stuff. Elves and ogres and green animals may jump out at any moment. The movement of the SpeedTreez is what's nice. Really adds to the immersion factor. Zooming in on a forest and one will see all the treez swaying to a fro.

I did notice there were no carz driving around. May be specific to that route.

The interface has changed quite a bit. Looks nice. After loading up a route most everything else is the same as 2009.

Murchison2 gave me some problems on install. Made it so 2010 wouldn't load. Uninstall 2010, re-install 2010 then copied the Murchison2.ja file over and did a database repair and all is good.

Murchison treez look very bad in 2010 running in native mode. Everything else looks good. Switching over to Compatibility Mode and the treez look like they did in 2009. I did not notice any performance decrease when running in Compatibility Mode. However, I did notice a lot of treez flickering. Like more than half of them. There was no flickering in Native Mode.

There is a nice .pdf manual for 2010EE in the Extras folder. Or simply clik on the Manual button on the Trainz GUI.

I was a bit disappointed to learn that the layers function does not apply to ground textures and scenery.

I am quite happy with the purchase. I think Auran has done a really good job with this release.

Randy

Same here Randy.
Good observations made there.
But yet, I am not a big fan of the display or the graphic features.
Verry Low poly's, no much of details with the loc's etc.
No match at all compared with RailWorks.
But the trees are ok.

My intenton is to use ONLY the new content with the new graphics capability.
Question: how do I do that?

Last edited:
Well...........that will be a challenge. From what I understand, 2010 built in assets were "fixed" for running in native mode. So, if no other content is installed, unless they are specifically made for 2010, then what you describe can be done.

I wanted to do the same as you. I also wanted the content that came with Murchison2 for route building. I'll have to fix those items that are not compatible or disable them. Probably the latter as I don't want to spend the time learning content creation and editing/repair. Really though, as far as I could see, the only content with issues were the older trees. Everything else looked great, in native mode.

I'm going to grab some of JVC trees and see how they look.

Randy

Well...........that will be a challenge. From what I understand, 2010 built in assets were "fixed" for running in native mode. So, if no other content is installed, unless they are specifically made for 2010, then what you describe can be done.

I wanted to do the same as you. I also wanted the content that came with Murchison2 for route building. I'll have to fix those items that are not compatible or disable them. Probably the latter as I don't want to spend the time learning content creation and editing/repair. Really though, as far as I could see, the only content with issues were the older trees. Everything else looked great, in native mode.

I'm going to grab some of JVC trees and see how they look.

Randy

OK Randy, have a look and tell us;)

The Pope in Rome will be happy if he sees this "Catholic vegetation" :hehe:

auran2.jpg

hink.
I was a bit disappointed to learn that the layers function does not apply to ground textures and scenery.
Isn't that a bit at odds with this?

Layer Support in Surveyor
Introducing a Layer tool similar to that found in many common graphics applications, you now have the ability to perform tasks that were impossible in previous versions of Trainz®:
  • Assign Objects to Layers
  • Hide and Lock Layers
  • Move Layers between Sessions and Routes enabling you to add any object to a session - not just trains. Want to include some new building types in a session? Or maybe a new section of track? Use the layer tool to achieve this.
Cheers

LOL....that's a good one!

I saw the shrubs but must have been zoomed out at the time. The farther away the better they look. I guess I should have explained myself a bit better concerning Auran "fixing" the older content for 2010. The trees and shrubs still look bad, they just don't flicker.

I grabbed a Jankvis tree off the DLS, (yeah, it works for me), and took a look.

I got his newer 3D tree called JVC TR30 Oak a 25m. Plopped a few of them down in surveyor then took a test drive. They looked really, REALLY good. I also have some of his other stuff in 2010, the non-3D, and it looks bad, in native mode.

While in Surveyor I did the Shift-Ctrl-Alt-P combo to generate terrain and found it plopping down SpeedTrees only. That's cool. :)

Randy

Reply to Ozboz:

My bad. I misunderstood while briefly reading thru the manual.

This part:

Note: Ground editing such as height, texture, water etc are
separate from the layer system and cannot be affected by
layers you create.

The manual does clearly state objects are in layers.

Thankyou for point that out.

I'll edit my post

Randy

When you say the non 3D stuff looked bad what is exactly wrong with them are they worse than 2009 where have transparency issues?
From what I have seen so far;
3D objects look much better in TS2010 than they did in TS2009_SP2.
There are none of those alpha channel issues that plagued a lot of the trees in 09.
I cannot say about 2-D objects, as I don't use many of them. I guess you would be talking about backdrops and that sort of thing.

Performance wise, TS2010 is a great improvement. My system is 5yrs old, and I was getting some pretty bad stuttering in high scenery areas with 2009, but that is much improved in 2010.
For the first time, I am getting excellent results with DirectX (version 11 in Win 7 32 bit).

One note: Make sure you have the latest video drivers. Sometimes upgrading the driver can make a big improvement.

I did notice that some of the speed trees don't look realistic; as was said; "Tolkien-ish"
But for the most part, the trees are looking great.

Faster save and load. IN 2009, for a large route, I had to wait about 30 seconds for the terrain to come back after a save, but in 2010 it pops right back in about 3 seconds.

My opinion; TS2010 is well worth the price.

FW

2010 EE and RailDriver

Does anyone know how to get RailDriver to work with 2010. I have 2009WBE and it works with that. Should I un instal 2010 and re instal as add on to 2009 or will this cause the RailDriver to not work at all.
Thanks

I see fwassner, thanks.

I had my first run with 2010 and I am very happy with it so far.. it looks better than ever, the ECML routes look great! I just now need to upgrade my PC lol

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.7Ghz, 8GB Corsair Dominator RAM, Nvidia 285GTX 1GB videocard, SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional soundcard, Asus Maximus 2 Gene motherboard and Win 7 64-bit.

Game runs smooth as silk on maximun settings at 1680x1050.
There is some delay is scene loading resulting in some popup in the first minute or so of loading a session, but after that smooth as silk, great graphics and view distances without any choppiness whatsoever.

First impressions are very positive so far. I upgraded TS2009 with 2010. I have dabbled around in the Harbor Master and ECML routes and they look stunning!

I am looking forward to creating my new routes with this. :cool:

Here are my specs:

Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz
Corsair XMS2 3Gigs
x2 EVGA 9800GT SLI
XFX 680i LT SLI
Windows Media Center 05
Latest GPU Drivers/DirectX 9.C

I first bought TS10 last night, downloaded & installed, it went all fine & well. Loaded it up and tested on Avery Drexel. The speedtrees look really great on the route. I think they could have done without the 2D bushes laying around, they take up more memory then do good.

The speedtrees look great on my machine, 1024x768 x16 half v-sync 70hz refresh rate.

I haven't figured out how to use layers yet, I guess there will probably be a tutorial for it. I really enjoy the environmental effects, it really increases the quality and enjoyability of the game.

Anyways that was my short opinion of the game. Haven't got a whole lot of time to play it yet.

Back