2006>2009

scorpio48

Member since August 2003
Hi All,
This is probably meant for Tony Hilliam, but all answers appreciated.
The route I'm building in 2006 (using Transdem) covers very rugged terrain, hills, mountains, valleys, and coastal plains.
With the 5 Mtr grid squares proposed in 2009, will I encounter a problem (steps, Etc) with this type of terrain when I transfer my route. 2006>2009, or will there be an automatic smoothing process during the transfer.
Cheers
Pete.

There are others who know more about this than I do, but as far as I know, the old 10m grid isn't disappearing. Any older route would still use the old grid size. It won't magically change when imported. So, in theory, your route shouldn't look any different in TRS09 than it does now. You can change each baseboard to the new 5m grid as you see fit once you've got it in the game.

Patrick

Hi,

I made a route with TransDEM which had high mountains and deep valley, for TRS2004.
When I transfered that into TRS2009 and changed the baseboards were the track where located into the new 5m grid that ground stayed the same - like expected as there are no new info in the ground file.

I had to manually (again, like expected) go over the ground near the track and change the ground into even tighter cuts by manually moving the grid points down below the track.

Looks way better then the old 10m grid, but still to wide for narrow gauge track on a mountain ledge... ;)

So, no, you shouldn't encounter any problems with your ground. Beside, the default ground is still 10 meter and you have your self change any baseboard into the 5meter grid.

Hope this helps a little.

Best wishes

Linda

There are others who know more about this than I do, but as far as I know, the old 10m grid isn't disappearing. Any older route would still use the old grid size. It won't magically change when imported. So, in theory, your route shouldn't look any different in TRS09 than it does now. You can change each baseboard to the new 5m grid as you see fit once you've got it in the game.

Patrick

Hi,

I made a route with TransDEM which had high mountains and deep valley, for TRS2004.
When I transfered that into TRS2009 and changed the baseboards were the track where located into the new 5m grid that ground stayed the same - like expected as there are no new info in the ground file.

I had to manually (again, like expected) go over the ground near the track and change the ground into even tighter cuts by manually moving the grid points down below the track.

Looks way better then the old 10m grid, but still to wide for narrow gauge track on a mountain ledge... ;)

So, no, you shouldn't encounter any problems with your ground. Beside, the default ground is still 10 meter and you have your self change any baseboard into the 5meter grid.

Hope this helps a little.

Best wishes

Linda

Thanks Patrick, Linda.
Much appreciated.
All I need now is extra ram:D .
Cheers
Pete.

Back