20" Display Notebook

Drucifer

Member Since 20 Oct 2001
I'm looking to move up to a 20" display notebook this Christmas.

There seem to be only four that are currently being made.
  • Acer Aspire 9810
  • Dell XPS M2010
  • HP Pavilion HDX
  • Sony VAIO LS25E

Is anyone familiar with any of them? Or do you know of another, please post.

And wasn't there a Computer/Hardware Forum here?

I only worked with Acer and Toshiba laptops and I have no complaints towards Acer, find a website that sells these and check customer reviews?

The Dell laptops seem to be very good laptops. One of my former workmates has a Dell and he recommends them to everyone.

Chris
(psycho_aussie)

ranking from #1 to #4
in my findings none have great customer service, but most build solid computers.
#1 Acer
#2 HP
#3 Dell
#4 Sony

I've worked with all of the above companies, Acer definately makes some solid laptops and the customer service isn't bad. My current HP is great, but customer service has been lacking. Dell makes great laptops BUT their customer service (unless your a business) is junk. And Sony? Poor parts and design, and their customer service......and Dell was bad?

Hi Drucifer, I have been using a HP laptop for nearly 5 years now, although it isn't a 20" display, but I've had absolutely no problems with it at all, and my father purchased a Dell back in July, and has reported wonderful feedback to me regarding performance, etc, though he did get it with Vista installed, the silly twerp. :hehe: I use an Acer monitor at work and my mate in our IT dept, says they are a great company for supplying quality products, such as laptops/notebooks, etc, I've considered getting a new one myself, but my budget is a bit tight at the moment, it all depends on how much you want to spend....

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

. . . .
And wasn't there a Computer/Hardware Forum here?
Thank you for adding the forum.

Back to the 20" display laptop. Money is no longer a problem for me.

I believe I have narrow it down to Acer Aspire 9810-6994 at Best Buy 4 Business that list these features . . .
  • Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7400 2.16GHz
  • 2GB
  • 240GB HD
  • 20.1" WSXGA+
  • NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600, 256MB VRAM
  • Modular HD DVD-ROM
  • TV Tuner
  • Cam
  • Remote
  • Cardreader
or Hewlett-Packard Pavilion HDX9010NR at Best Buy that list these features . . .
  • Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 2.2 GHz
  • 800MHz frontside bus
  • 4MB L2 cache
  • 2 GB PC6400 DDR2
  • 2 X 120GB Hard Drives
  • 20.1" WSXGA+
  • 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT
  • High-definition DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
  • Cam
  • Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN network connection (802.11a/b/g/n)
I'm leaning toward the HP probably because of my past experience with them and I also want the max 4 GB RAM which I can configure at their site.

Will Trainz work with these graphic cards? And I want 64-bit OS. So, which Vista is multi-media and Trainz friendly?

Hi Drucifer, again, Mr.Jingles did a post on Windows Vista information yesterday on the forum, and although I didn't read everything personally, maybe some of this info. may be prudent to your research.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman. :wave:

Wow that's some serious power you're looking at :udrool:

In terms of performance power the HP has the lead. If you're planning on running Trainz the HP beats out the Acer hands down.

As far as Trainz running on Vista, it will run but it may take some tinkering to get it to. I would get Vista Home Basic or Pro, though there really isn't a big difference between the two.

Dru,

If you're looking at HP, take a look at their mobile workstations. These are thier high-end business machines that can be configured with 4-gig of RAM. HP is offering these with a decent warranty and service plan as well.

These are CAD-CAM level machines that have NVidia Mobile Quadro video cards in them, so they are capable of handling 3ds-Max and other 3d applications.

Vista and Trainz work together, fine.

John

Dru,

If you're looking at HP, take a look at their mobile workstations. These are thier high-end business machines that can be configured with 4-gig of RAM. HP is offering these with a decent warranty and service plan as well.

These are CAD-CAM level machines that have NVidia Mobile Quadro video cards in them, so they are capable of handling 3ds-Max and other 3d applications.

Vista and Trainz work together, fine.

John
Was unable to find a 20" mobile workstation. Got a model number?

Back