Merging problem in TS12

RacerTodd

I'm trying to merge two maps in TS12 and am having a problem.

When I try to merge the two routes, only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the 2nd route gets merged. No error message, no crashing - it just stops adding baseboards.

Route A is about 1700 baseboards, Route B about 1500. Both are plain DEM terrain with Google Earth ground textures applied. No track or other objects. Route file sizes are 320MB and 380MB. I've tried merging A into B and B into A with the same results.

I read through this whole forum looking for posts about merge problems, but none seemed to match my problem.

I noted a technique used in TS2009 to make a 1 baseboard route, then merge into that. I did that and was able to merge Route A into the single baseboard route successfully. I saved and reopened that route. I then merged Route B and got the same problem. About 1/2 of Route B got merged this time instead of only about 1/3.

I moved the routes into TS2010 and got the same problem.

Is there a limit to the number of baseboards that can be merged? Or a file size limit? System runs XP with 4 gigs of memory. Drive has 300GB+ of free space.

The only thing I can think of is to split Route B into two smaller segments and try that. Before doing that, I thought I see if anyone has a better answer. If there is some sort of baseboard or file size limit, that'll be an issue as I have several more similar size sections to add.

Here is what I'm getting. Route A is on bottom, route B on top. As you can see Route B goes about halfway then just stops.

Thanks,
Todd

map.jpg

Entirely possible you have discovered the limit of what's possible. What I would do in that situation is open route B, figure out where the middle is and place a marker, save as route B1, then save as route B2 so you have two clones of B. Don't forget to change the route layer names so you won't have trouble merging. Now open B1, start at the north end (or east) and delete the tiles all the way to the middle. Save that, open B2, delete all the tiles starting at the south end (or west) to the middle. Now you have two 750 baseboard routes instead of one 1500 baseboard route, merge them into the main route one at a time. Tedious process, but if there's no other way around the limitation it should get the job done.

Merging

I assume you are using Windows XP x32 bit with SP3?

That being the case, yes, you have most likely reached the limits of TS12 in that OS. On a 32 bit OS, you can only edit or merge3 a amp up to a size of around 700MB although in driver, you can run a route up to a size of about 1.5GB, in a 64 bit OS, you can edit a map size of up to 2.5GB and can run in driver a map up to around 3GB. These figures above are a guide only. Another thing to watch for is scene load which can be accessed from the developer options in edit mode. If this figure approaches 90% +, you will start to see baseboards disappear as the game tries to conserve memory.

Hope this helps you a little.

The combined file size limit is around 35Mg, in my experience. Anything more and the merge is a no go. Auran are aware of this issue and have notified another user that they are working on the matter.

Looks like it's a memory issue. I created both routes with no Google Earth tiles. That trimmed the file sizes by about 40%. Merging those two routes got me about 60% of Route B merged. By monitoring Task Manager, I could see Trainz using about 1.7GB of memory at the peak. Merging the original route also showed Trainz going up to about 1.7GB at the peak.

I'll try splitting Route B into two parts and see if I can merge correctly then. Or I'll trim down the routes before merging.

Todd

Back