Don't pout! Don't shout! New route! Beta out!

sniper297

Coconut God
http://www.humyo.com/FChMvwQ/beta23.cdp?a=iXfYf78ZbWQ

Requires TS2010 and probably a first class ticket to download all the dependencies if you don't already have them. Might work in TS12, but TS12 is not supported until they get some of the new and improved bugs out of it.

Included session starts with the player in a GP9 in 40th Street yard, alternate "Wild Willy" starts near Port Ogden in the rustoleum reject C-41 steamer. Suggested play, go north on the belt line to the Milwaukee junction and turn east. Collect all the cars from industries (both sides of the mainline, trailing and facing point, watch out for the AI trains when crossing over the mains) all the way downtown. Follow the Milwaukee eastbound freight track (furthest south) thru Western Avenue Interlocking, turning south under the C&NW, then west on the Burlington. Pick up all cars along the Burlington line until reaching the belt line again. After that take them to any old yard, dealer's choice, the idea is efficiency - what order you pick up, when you do runarounds, when you cross the mainline, all will affect how long it takes.

In the big yards don't block the light brown tracks, and don't use the grassy tracks for anything for the first 45 minutes since there will be 2 AI freight trains dropping off cars on those tracks in each yard within the first hour. Mainline running is right handed.

Testing, primarily what I have trouble with is framerates. The route itself is pretty easy on FPS, but I suspect the AI traffic causes problems. I start at 20-25FPS and drop to 8-10FPS after an hour of running, pretty sure that's memory getting clogged with AI instructions. I've cut this down quite a bit, 4 commuters and 2 short freights at 15 minute intervals, 4 freights and one L at 20 minute intervals, comes out to about 39 per hour.

Try selecting the link, RIGHT click, choose "Save link as" and it should come up "beta23.cdp". Forgot to mention for those unaware, it usually saves to desktop or downloads by default, pay attention to where it goes. Then open TS2010 (or TS12, May God Have Mercy On Your Soul) Content Mangler, click File, Import CDP, then browse to wherever beta23.cdp went. Once that's done select the Today tab, in the list of what was installed or created today you should have;

belting around 23 Wild Willy,<kuid:522774:100068>
belting around 23 1100,<kuid:522774:100067>
Chicago Metro b23,<kuid:522774:100008>

Right click on the route, View Dependencies, view in main list. Anything with a download station icon needs to be downloaded. After that select either session (both have the same dependencies, just different starting points and locos) and do the same. The route shouldn't be too bad, but unless you've been downloading all my reskins the sessions will probably need 100 megs or so :eek: which is why I say you may need a FCT. All assets used in the route and sessions are either built into TS2010 and TS12 (I eliminated the tunnels for this beta because that unholy TS12 hates tunnels) or available on the DLS. Sometimes the download helper falls down on the job, the session shows the missing dependencies icon but none of the ones in the list are missing? Turns out it downloaded some engines without automatically downloading the cabviews.

Other item I forgot;

Trigger Multiple Signals,<kuid2:116387:26:1>

If you don't have that you need to download it, I went round and round with the N3V guys but concensus is you need a special tag in a rule to get it to add itself to the KUID table for the session, how you create that tag is unspecified. Or the rule should add itself automatically to the KUID table, doesn't need a special tag, depends on who you talk to. Either way Trigger Multiple Signals is needed for the sessions, doesn't get downloaded automatically since it's not in the KUID table, so you need to make sure you download it.

Last thing, this could possibly work in TS2009 if you hack the config.txt files to change build 3.3 to build 2.9, I don't have TS2009 so I have no way to test that.

Last edited:
Missing switch

Picture shows a missing switch......

003tl.jpg

I doesn't do don't, does I?

Thanks Dick, that was a smurf sized turntable I deleted, keep forgetting to replace it with something bigger. I stole the Port Ogden section from Teleport8 since his rendition was closer to the original trackplan than mine or Phil's.

Snipe, I ran it on my 24" monitor with 1920x1080 res full screen. With fraps I was getting upwards of 50-60fps. However, when I got in the city area, that dropped to about 20. Good job, nice route!

Yeah, the big thing I'm getting is FPS dropping not from the scenery, but from the AI traffic. Got another thread going here;

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=74677

Trying to figure out the best way to get Chicago railroading volume without needing a Cray to run it.

80615181.jpg

You wouldn't think it was THAT much traffic, grand total of 11 spawn points producing every 15 or 20 minutes. It does add up, most don't take more than an hour to finish the run, still comes out around 35-40 on the route at any given moment. Even so I can't fathom any programming being so inefficient that it don't (sorry Dick, doesn't!) :wave: at least remove the "consumed" trains from memory when they're gone, and use some type of simplified algorithm to calculate approximate positions, only going to more precise positioning when within a given radius of the player. MSTS did that 10 years ago. I suspect that's what's eating up clock cycles, every AI train running is rendered and animated exactly the way it is when you see it, even if it's miles away. I did try using the old TRS2004 low poly disc wheeled trainsets instead for all AI trains, it don't (sorry Dick, doesn't!) :hehe: make any significant difference in framerates on my system.

Nice and smooth

I ran around for a little over an hour, saw many AI trains, and never dropped below 20fps. This on a quad-core AMD Phenom with 8G RAM, NVidia 9800GTX+ card. Frame rates slightly higher on OpenGL than on DirectX.

Back