Merging routes in TS12

dzien50

Hi
I cannot merge any routes I get messages about layers having the same name ? when I play around with merging these layers/routes ( I don't really know what I'm doing ) the game crashes and says error game must close, send report etc etc.
I'm used to TRS2006 so this is all a bit new and a big jump.
Can someone provide me with an " idiots guide walk through " as to how to do this.
Cheers
PJ

Wow. I'm amazed nobody has answered this, surely someone knows how to merge routes in TS12 ? 50 odd views and no replies ?
Please someone help !!
Cheers
PJ

I would like to help but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right the way I do it.
This is what I do, when you try to merge a route that window opens and shows maybe two layers of route layers, when this happens I click on the little pitchfork option wnd then click on route layer then click the ok checkmark then the two routes will merge. That works for me but I'm not sure it's the right way.
I'VE never had a problem merging routes before the new" improved way"of using layers:)
I don't think many of us know what we are doing with layers.

Hope this helps you out.

Bob

Hi Bob
Thanks for reply. Thats not working for me when I do as you say the game just crashes and says " trainz has stopped working "
Its a real pain, in TRS2006 merging was a doddle. I'm trying t get my head around these layers but finding it very difficult, I wish you could just opt out of them.... maybe I'm just too old !! ( dogs, new tricks etc !! )
So anyone else got the solution to this ?
Cheers
PJ

Hi Bob
Thanks for reply. Thats not working for me when I do as you say the game just crashes and says " trainz has stopped working "
Its a real pain, in TRS2006 merging was a doddle. I'm trying t get my head around these layers but finding it very difficult, I wish you could just opt out of them.... maybe I'm just too old !! ( dogs, new tricks etc !! )
So anyone else got the solution to this ?
Cheers
PJ

I see the problem most likely right off the back. If you importing trainz 2006 content into trainz 12 there can be A errors with the routes thus causing the errors and crashing in trainz 12 I think. As you know trainz 12 is backwards combatible with trainz 2010 anything else will have errors and might not work at all.

My experience with merging in TS12 has been pain free. Now keep in mind what I am merging are various segments of a larger DEM they were all built for TS12 and in those instances all I do is merge the layers together as well.

I think the previous poster hit on a salient point the route you're trying to merge originally didn't have layers, and if the layers after you've imported them have different content and different names I'm sure bad things can happen.

But I would think anybody building a route for TS12 would keep layer names pretty much consistent throughout and it would be easy to merge those components together.

Are either (or both) of the routes created in HOG?

I have not tried merging in TS12 but my experience merging in TS10 might be relevant.

TS10 has issues with the way HOG creates the landscape, this is what causes the spikes and hollows along board edges when importing HOG routes into TS09 and up. I keep TRS04 installed on my system solely to merge large HOG created DEM maps. Maps that merge without issue in TRS04 crash (or sometimes freeze) when merging in TS10. These are bare-board HOG routes with no layer issues (yes, the layers on one map are re-named before attempting a merge!)

It is not impossible that the same issue afflicts TS12...

Andy ;)

Thanks guys
You'll think me a fool but I really don't know what your on about re HOG and DEM ? sorry.
However the route I'm trying to merge was one I had on TRS2006, called " Holopole ", which I archived and downloaded into TS12 so maybe this is part or all the problem, also the route I want to merge it with was built in with TS12
I'm really not into computers at all and trainz is the only game I've ever played ( or will play ) on a computer so even basic jargon passes me by.
Cheers
PJ

You are getting messages about layers having the same name. This is a problem that must be corrected. It's very easy to do. If there is a layer called "route" in both routes, change one of them to "route1".
Mick Berg.

I get the same problem as dzien.

First, I verify that the route to be merged has layers and that they are named uniquely.

Then, I open the route merger and I first merge the layers from the current route and the merging route.

Finally, I align the terrain using the little arrows left, right, up, down.

But when I click the Checkbox to run the merge, Trainz quits with an unhandled Windows exception.

:(

Hi Mick
Yeah same as Jay, I did change the route names but when I click on merge it goes to a set area on the route but is " frozen " if I then click or try to move mouse game crashes out with " trainz has to close " message.
I've tried every variation of name changes etc that I can think of but it still does it time after time ?
Cheers
PJ

There is a known issue when merging already built-up routes. Blank baseboards work fine, and merging in blank DEMs works fine when merged into already built-up routes.

This has been reported to the helpdesk and the Brew Crew is aware of the problem. There is no ETA when the next patch or fix will come out for this or other problems, for that matter.

John

This is what I did last night.

1. Make sure the two routes have no red or yellow ! mark is showing in Content Manager (or showing red in the game).
2. Merge the two routes together
3. Double click the second route name in the merge layer tab and and a letter or number to the layer name.
4. Click tick mark.

Give it a couple of seconds to respond and all should now work.

If a route is showing red or yellow in Content Manager, it normally means that a region is missing or that the water asset is wrong (sometimes both). Open up the route in the game, and click edit route in the drop down menu and change the region tag, and click edit environment and change the water tab.

Hopefully that should help with no more crashes in TS2012 when merging.

Regards.
CaptEngland

Last edited:
Tried all of this, good captain. N3V have stated there is a problem, however. They have stated there is a fix on the way. So thanks anyway.

Back