Trainz 2010 working on Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) with wine 1.3.1

crohakon

Game performance is not all that great, but it is not horrible either. What can be bothersome is the load times. Other than that, so far it seems to work rather well considering. I will spend some time over the next week or so trying to optimize this a bit and see if I cannot increase performance and FPS.

Yay for Wine 1.3.1 and Ubuntu Lucid!

Also, from what I can tell Content Manager 3.2 works as well. But I have not really tried anything with it yet... More on that later.

I am running TRS on Ubuntu 10.04 using Wine 1.2 with reasonable success. I had to install the proprietary video drivers in order to get anything more than about 1 fps, and that made Ubuntu a little balky for booting. Adding "nomodeset" to my grub configuration seems to have cured that, though. The only thing that I do not seem to have at the moment is sound while in driver and surveyor. While the program is loading, I do get the sound affects.
I haven't tried CM much - TRS06 is out of support and I do not currently have a FCT.

My computer specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1 Gb Ram
GeForce FX 5500 with 256 MB RAM
I upgraded this computer to a newer one when I first got TRS06 - I was running MS Windows and performance was rather poor. I have to say that I am happy with it now, though.

question about trainz and ubuntu

Game performance is not all that great, but it is not horrible either. What can be bothersome is the load times. Other than that, so far it seems to work rather well considering. I will spend some time over the next week or so trying to optimize this a bit and see if I cannot increase performance and FPS.

Yay for Wine 1.3.1 and Ubuntu Lucid!

Also, from what I can tell Content Manager 3.2 works as well. But I have not really tried anything with it yet... More on that later.

hey quick question i have spent hours trying to get trainz 2010 working in ubuntu 10.10 as i wont even use windows if i can get trainz working in linux, i am a big supporter of ubuntu and dislike windows, email me if you are still working on this project because i would love to do away with windows.

Back