Brisbane CityTrain - 800x600 pixels

scottling

And on that bombshell...
Hello Trainzers (and anyone else who is interested)

You may remember I started a Brisbane CityTrain thread some time last year, but that project was sadly abandoned in the name of accuracy. But now the project has been reborn, this time as a Digital Elevation Model (DEM)! All credit to Jerker, who very kindly made it for me.

The base section concentrates on the Inner City, Park Road Station to Northgate Station, including the Exhibition Circuit, Mayne Yard, Airport Branch and Pinkenba Industrial Branch. Trackage may also extend to Buranda on the Cleveland Line, Dutton Park on the Gold Coast Line, Milton on the Ipswich Line, Windsor/Wilston on the Ferny Grove Line, Banyo/Bindha on the Shorncliffe Line and Virginia on the Caboolture Line.

So you see I have a lot going, but it's going quickly with the DEM in place. In about 2 weeks of work, I have South Brisbane Station complete, Merivale and William Jolly Bridges in place, Riverside Expressway laid and almost ready to tackle Roma Street Station complex. The XPT line will also be included.

I aim to post more screenshots this time, so wish me luck and I should be getting some screenies soon!

Happy Trainzing;)
Scott.

First Screenshots!

Here are some screenshots of my first trial run of the route so far. At present, this is:
South Brisbane Station
Merivale and William Jolly Bridges
Riverside Expressway
West end of Roma Street Station

And now, the screenies:

The rail bridge over Countess Street, west of Roma Street.

The rail complex between Countess Street and the southbound tunnel.

SMU 202 crosses XPT 2016 on Merivale Bridge. Coronation Drive underneath.

A mini map view of the entire route. DEM kindly made for me by Jerker at www.victrainz.com.au

Until the next screenies, Happy Trainzing everyone!
Feel free to leave comments of any type, constructive, critical or complimentary.

Hi Trainzers.

Sorry for the delay, I have had other issues. Namely, school.:hehe: Anyway, I finally have a couple more shots for you.

South Brisbane Station, as viewed from the north.

The tunnels from Roma Street to Central, in their partially completed stage.

Does anyone know how to cure the black texture where two paint textures join in the screenshot that doesn't occur in Trainz itself? Any help is appreciated.

Happy Trainzing,;)
Scott.

Good Morning Trainzers, I have some new screenshots from a trial run of the route so far.:D

Shorncliffe-bound EMU heading north over the Merivale Bridge.

A double-headed coal train, lead by 21xxH and 2455D, waits for our train to pass as it sweeps in from the Exhibition Circuit. All freight goes round that way, so as not to pollute the tunnels between Brunswick Street and Roma Street.

Please enjoy, and Happy Trainzing!;)

Hi JJDella.

This route is so far from completion, I'm scared to put a date on it. You're looking at Christmas 2010 possibly if I get no interruptions.:confused: And with interruptions (zapping back to the real world here), my brain just conks out trying to put a number on it.:sleep:

So, a very long time I'm afraid. Ask me about Halloween-ish and I might have some answers for you!:hehe:

Happy Trainzing,
Scott.

Could you release them in smaller particles, like you do one line then you release it, then another and when you finish it all you release it as all
Jamie

JJdella

Good maps take time to create, good maps cant be rushed. i for one hate maps that have been rushed and are filled with mitakes. I know what its like to have real life interupt map making mines been interupted many times by real life issues. so i suggest that you enjoy the screenies and just wait for map i am sure they will be worth the wait.

ghosty

Ghostryder is absolutely right. Rushed building = poor quality = less enjoyment. I'm mainly concentrating on the line south of Central down to Park Road, as anything north is mostly unfamiliar territory to me.:confused:

As I said in my first post, this is just the base section with a couple of small branchlines off it. The other branch lines (Ipswich, Ferny Grove, Nambour, Shorncliffe, Cleveland and Gold Coast) will be built in the order I feel like building them in. Seeing as I live near the Gold Coast Line that will probably be the first branch line I build after the base section.

I appreciate your patience in the meantime, I hope to get as many screenshots as possible, and want to assure you that I am working as quickly as I can while keeping detail and quality to a high standard and dodging real life issues.

Thankyou for your time, and Happy Trainzing!;)
Scott.

Thankyou Mr Pineapple. I'm sorry that there haven't been many shots coming through, but this is the last week of school for Queensland, so I should get some progress over this week and the following holidays.:Y:

No screenshots at the moment, I will have to organise some soon.:)

Happy Trainzing!;)
Scott, your devoted Brisbane builder.

JJdella

Good maps take time to create, good maps cant be rushed. i for one hate maps that have been rushed and are filled with mitakes. I know what its like to have real life interupt map making mines been interupted many times by real life issues. so i suggest that you enjoy the screenies and just wait for map i am sure they will be worth the wait.

ghosty

More haste, less speed. Agreed, rushing a route will show an obvious decline in quality, but if you work productively with many hours (Obviously not many here actually have that many hours, of course! :p) and a good design document (I think a design document should be essential to any peice of significant content, such as a loco or route. It allows you to create goals to mark off, rather than work randomly, and leaves you with a complete knowledge of what is needed to finish the project without ommiting things by accident and also many other reasons) then one can create a large project in much quicker time, with few mistakes or errors.

Planning is essential. With good planning, you will find that you will create a project with much greater speed and accuracy.

As an example, (although I no longer have the time nor emotional enthusiasm any longer to finish it right now) my high-detail, UVW mapped and textured NSWGR D57 loco which I showed shots of some time ago (I think they've gone from imageshack though, and aren't on the forums anymore, or so I was told) in a near complete state (Just need to do the bogies, animations and some work on the tender, and make the inacurate and low detail cab more realistic) actually took me about a quarter of the time it took me to get say, my NSWGR D50 model to a near complete state (unfortunately there's no way I can complete it right now, as I live in Edinburgh, and the D50 and nearly all of my other models are back on my computer in Australia).

The reasoning behind making the D57 in a quarter of the time as the D50 (Both are as accurate as possbile, and have roughly equal amounts of detail) is that I made a comprehensive design document for the D57 before starting, which included the methods I would use for the modeling, the order in which parts I should model, how I would make the UVW map and textures, the poly count to aim for, notes indicating which reference photos I used for each part of the model - so all I had to do was click on a link in the design doco for say, the compressor and it would bring up the appropriate photo.

With the D50, I only really created a very loose design doco after I had finished most of the loco, and realised that there were many parts which I needed to go back and fix or remake entirely.

The reason I'm ranting on about this is that having a design document describing everything about the project is that they give you a great reference to work from, will likely speed up your work, if you have a design doco there's much more chance a project will get finished, and I've not slept in about 30 odd hours... Bloody insomnia. I really ought to stop ranting. And so I shall.

James

Eek, sorry about that rant! Should have put it elsewhere. I also forgot to mention how bloody amazing this route is turning out, and how great it's looking with the DEMs now.

Really nice. I don't know the area (haven't been to QLD in yonks), but it looks like the trackwork is really looking fantastic and well made. Looking forward to more progress! Never been all that interested in modern QLD routes, but I think this will change my mind!

Thankyou for the compliments Boobless_Ed. I really wasn't aware that my route was going that well, as I haven't even touched it in about two weeks now!:hehe:

I apologise for the absence of screenshots, as I believe I have lost motivation over the last couple of weeks with school. But I am now ready to start afresh and get working again! In all honesty, Roma Street Station should be a one-day task, so I shall get some shots to you all by then.:)

Thanks again, and Happy Trainzing!;)
Scott.

Hello all.

Sorry moderators for the large bump, and sorry Trainzers for the large delay.
I recently received and installed TS2010, and am yet to copy my TRS2006 local folder across, which I'm a little unsure about doing.:confused:

With all these new assets, and Speedtree, I should have plenty of motivation to get going again. btw, I also got a new nVidia GT240 video card, so TS2010 is running 20-30FPS, and that's in built-up areas!:eek: On a blank baseboard in Surveyor, frame rates have reached 200!

So, there's my update for today, rest assured Brisbane CityTrain is not dead!

Happy Trainzing,;)
Scott.

Back