TS2010 is the best release so far!!

sirgibby

Just to help keep a balance on on all the negative TS2010 comments I want to say that, in my opininion, TS2010 is the best release of TRAINZ since TRAINZ itself .... and this is, in part, due to the inclusion of Speedtrees which I find brings TRAINZ alive.

I have been with TRAINZ since before the first release and have spent many 1000's of hours with the progam over the years. (Those of you who have enjoyed my MURCHISON layouts will know the depth of my involvment with TRAINZ.)
TS2010 has given me a fresh enthusiasm for using the program. The inclusion of SPEEDTREES, LAYERS and HIGH DETAIL ROLLING STOCK has all contibuted to my enjoyment. I definitely want more but what TS2010 has given me so far is excellent.

I know that there are users who have had negative experiences with TS2010. However I also know that a lot of users have had no problems with it. I know that there are some bugs that Auran are working on but, overall, I give TS2010 a full thumbs up.

Michael

I've been around Trainz for some time and to me its always been nearly there bit not quite.

It's really only since TS2010 where the processing has been off loaded to the GPU which is where it should be and speedtrees have been added that it's all finally coming together.

Now we just have to build the content.

Cheerio John

I'm relatively new to Trainz, started with 2009. I am enjoying 2010EE very much. I build routes more than drive trainz and have spent many hours creating a world that looks "just the way I want it". :)

There are still a few bugs but its nothing that can't be worked around. I am not having the issues with content being faulty as I have read from others on the forum. Sure, I had some faulty things. I just deleted them and moved on. I still have about 140,000 items to choose from.

Murchison 2 is the cats meow :D

Randy

I'm relatively new to Trainz, started with 2009. I am enjoying 2010EE very much. I build routes more than drive trainz and have spent many hours creating a world that looks "just the way I want it". :)

There are still a few bugs but its nothing that can't be worked around. I am not having the issues with content being faulty as I have read from others on the forum. Sure, I had some faulty things. I just deleted them and moved on. I still have about 140,000 items to choose from.

Randy

I I agree. This is the best relase so far even with the little bugs I've come across. These are all, I think, things that can easily be overcome in future patches.

I went through and repaired most of my erronous content. The problems weren't all that bad and the process took me about a week to complete.

The Murchison is one awesome route. Thank you, Michael for working so hard on it. I enjoy your route very much.

John

I,m sure sirgibby, that without 2010, Murchison would not have been so fantastic. Once again, welldone.
baz

overall, I give TS2010 a full thumbs up.

Michael

I do like the look and feel of TS2010. It loads quickly and is faster overall with improved graphics. I haven't exclaimed 'ooooh' and cuddled up to a version of Trainz in this way since my first jaw-dropping experience with the original Trainz.

There have been some relatively poor experiences since then - an awful lot of really good 2004 assets were broken by 2006 and seem to be unfixable (some sadly missed railway crossings for example).

I don't know about speedtrees, though, I think they are very strange.

My policy is to only run 2010 in native mode with error free rolling stock and track assets using 2009 as an initial test-bed and for error correction.

I am only interested in 3ft 6in/1067mm rolling stock running in New Zealand like (but by no means prototypical) routes, so I am limited myself in that respect. I am, however, enjoying running sessions on the one and only route I have transferred to 2010 so far.

This latest version is truly very fussy and has forced me to get my head down and fix all those asset errors which, up until now, I have been able to more or less ignore.

It seems that Auran have done really well with 2010 - though I have to say that the packaging of the off-the-shelf version is truly uninspiring.

I,m sure sirgibby, that without 2010, Murchison would not have been so fantastic.

I like the way Auran did some work on the Alpha texture problems. Being able to run MURCHISON in native mode in TS2010 is great.

However my greatest jaw-drop came with the Speedtrees. They can look a little funny without leaves but, with their leaves they are simply amazing.

Watching the branches waving indepenantly in the wind ....
Watching the large leaf tobacco plants shimmer in the wind ...
I know its about playing trains but I am of the firm belief that "the scene frames the train".
I can drive a simple train through nice scenery for hours. But put a great train on a boring layout and I loose interest very quickly.

I have heard complaints about the "trees blowing around like they where in a hurricane"
When the trees have their foliage I have found this simply untrue. The movement seems to me to be very realistic. (Maybe New Zealand is windier than other places)

With the trees without leaves I agree they can be boisterous .. in real life its the foliage more than the branches that catch the wind so maybe Auran needs a wind factor built in to trees that have no foliage.
BUT HEY, that doesn't stop me from appreciating the beauty of speedtrees in the rest of the seasons.

cheers
Michael

I have been using Trainz since 2001. TS2010 is the first edition that I give a "two thumbs up"!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
The layers are a great addition as are the Speedtrees.

On my "to do" list is to add Murchison 2 to TS2010 and run in native mode. Wow!

Fred:D

Randy
My Murchison 2 does not run correctly in TS2010. No road traffic. In fact I can't get any custom road traffic to show up on any routes . If you have a work-around for this I would love to hear about it.
Geoff

No road traffic. In fact I can't get any custom road traffic to show up on any routes

Hi Geoff

As i said "...I know that there are some bugs that Auran are working on ..."

This is actually not a bug but Auran have told me that it is a correction to a long standing cars problem.
Auran are making the changes to the add-on routes so that the traffic will work and will be issuing patches.

I know that TS2010 is not perfect (no version has been) but it is still the best release I have seen.

Michael

I wish the speedtrees had a slider for how much wind you want. No calm days with speedtrees. That's really the only complaint I have with TS2010.

Not to go too far off topic, but I wonder if by making the carz trackside assets, they will be able to automagically adjust to different road heights?

Back on topic, I must agree with Michael. I think every Trainz version has been better than the previous, and 2010 is no exception. True, it can be frustrating to have new bugs or changes in functionality, but I feel these have always been outweighed by the new features and fixes.

Curtis

I wish the speedtrees had a slider for how much wind you want. No calm days with speedtrees. That's really the only complaint I have with TS2010.

I second this. I've been consciously watching trees in the real world (Sydney) over the last week, and the only prototypical resemblance was some pre-storm winds on the evening of Wednesday 13th January. I'd like a selectable option similar to the one existing for water settings. I do like the seasonal concept and appearance of the speedtrees however.

Other than that I consider TS2010 a new toy in a similar way to a previous poster who mentioned the "ooooh" and novelty aspect of it.

Last edited:
In the past, in my opinion, Auran have only released 3 great versions of trainz,

Trainz 2006, everything worked on it (except for the sound)

Trainz Classics UK, superb realistic UK route, with continued content support even today on the Trainz Classics UK website, something in my opinion Trainz 2010 needs. Sound was a problem but Auran fixed this in a service pack.

And finally...

Trainz 2010, new look content is fantastic, not a fan of the HST sad to say, would of prefered passenger enabled coaches with see through windows and passengers, seats and tables inside, with the possibility of the whole consist lighting up at night. The Speedtrees which I love are fantastic, not a fan of the layers system, but other trainzers do like this feature.

All trainz 2010 needs now is continued content support, exactly like the Trainz Classics UK website, go to the website, click on the picture and get your content in one CDP, this I think would complete Trainz 2010 and would make others move across from TRS2004 and TRS2006. For starters an updated version of the HST set, it looks exactly like the trs2004 one, with shiny paint.

Joe Airtime

not a fan of the layers system, but other trainzers do like this feature.

The big advantage I see with the layer system is that layouts can now easily be made that will work on both average and high-end computers

With Murchison2 I had to create 2 layouts (Standard and High-Detail)
This meant 2 sets of sessions to be created and tested (for some reason I was not able to get the same sessions to work in both versions)

With layers i can assign high-detail content to a layer that can be turned off for slower machines and I also only need to create and test one lot of sessions.
Its also a good way for testing the impact of high-poly assets on the frame rate. Just turn layers of items on and off to see the frame rate change.

For me Layers is another reason for giving TS2010 thumbs up.
......EXCELLENT!!!

Michael

When I purchased TS2010, it was the Speedtrees feature that was the deciding factor. Speedtrees have gotten a lot of negative posts here in the Forum, not just for the excessive wind feature, but also for the lack of having an option when certain beloved trees from old favorite routes are automatically and irreversibly changed to Speedtrees when copied into TS 2010. I sympathize with these complaints, but IMHO the new trees are a vast improvement over the old cardboard cutout trees. The Speedtrees are realistic, they are 3-dimensional, and they are animated, and what’s more, they change colors with the seasons. Speedtrees have added a whole new level of enjoyment to the experience. I hope that Auran/N3V provides many more of these trees, including grass, flowers, and Speedtree splines for making forests.

I’ve noticed a very slight improvement in graphic quality in TS2010, which helps, but I do have one complaint myself, and that is the new built-in routes that came with it. I had hoped for something colorful and appealing like Copper Canyon, Yellowstone, or the Bavarian Alps. (I would indeed consider the DLS, but I have nothing but problems these days when I try to download something.) So instead we got several drab, colorless, uninteresting industrial areas as our new routes that I very quickly disabled on my CMP. To me, they all looked alike. I like variety, but it was certainly not forthcoming in these built-in routes. I realize that there are those who might fancy these industrial areas, but hey, that’s why we have Forums, so we can express our opinions.

As for Murchison, I’ve brought the original Murchison forward through TS 2004, TS2006 and TS2009 into TS2010, and it is still a beauty. I’ve changed it a lot in Surveyor to suit my own tastes, and I’ve had an awful lot of enjoyment with it. So, Sirgibby, thanks for your efforts.

Hi Geoff

As i said "...I know that there are some bugs that Auran are working on ..."

This is actually not a bug but Auran have told me that it is a correction to a long standing cars problem.
Auran are making the changes to the add-on routes so that the traffic will work and will be issuing patches.

I know that TS2010 is not perfect (no version has been) but it is still the best release I have seen.

Michael
Point taken Michael, and I like some of the aspects of the new version.
But Murchison2 made TS2009 for me, and there it will stay until TS2010 is patched and I have traffic on the roads.
Geoff

I’ve noticed a very slight improvement in graphic quality in TS2010

The first thing I noticed with TS2010 was that I could run old routes in native mode and the old 2D trees no longer had the alpha problem.
Somehow in TS2010 they are being processed differently. They are not as sharp as in compatability made but much improved on the TS2009 native mode problem.

The way I see it is that Auran has worked hard with TS2010 to find a work around for this problem.

Michael

Last edited:
Back