Animated freight cars - Downtown Traction Company

philskene

There are several freight cars with interesting animations.

Two of these are used in the session "SideTippers", a session for DowntownTractionCo.
_____

Syd and Jim, Dispatcher here. Your last turn this morning.
Use the side dump hoppers in the Classification Yard to take coal from the Port to Fartes and then woodchips from the Dry Sort Yard to Alans Multifunctional.
The out of gauge steel plate flats are to transport steel plates from the Steel Mill to Hymill Write.
Place the out of gauge and the three flats with pipes from Hymill Write in the Transfer Yard.
Return to Loco and sign off. Your shift is over.

_____

The side dump hoppers do this:

SideTipper_01.jpg

SideTipper_02.jpg

When empty the out-of-gauge flat cars look like this:

SideTipper_03.jpg

When loading, the bearers first move outwards:

SideTipper_04.jpg

The steel plate loads:

SideTipper_05.jpg

And the plates are rotated:

SideTipper_06.jpg

In transit:

SideTipper_07.jpg

_____

The locomotive used in the session should be downloaded from
http://rapidshare.com/files/266431725/DTC_TemII_V41_Locos_Euro_Electric_Modified.zip

and the side dump hoppers from
http://rapidshare.com/files/114963979/Polish_Hopper_SideDump_Complete.zip

The out of gauge flat cars will show missing products. Ignore this. These products are not available for download.

The session should take about one hour to complete.

On the Download Station, soon.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Wouldn't it be smart, since the products are not available, to remove them from the config.txt. Or is this a too simple solution.:hehe:

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

Hi Jan --

Yes, I agree it would be smart and that's exactly what I'd do if it was my content.

But unfortunately that freight car is not - so while I can edit out the missing products on my computer it will not have any effect on others who download that particular freight car from the Download Station.

Phil

Phil, I am enjoying you Downtown Traction and it’s sessions. I like to read the scenario and make it run auto. Makes for a lot of fun and a few headaches. The only problem I have is the asset “NP grn 40ft xm” kuid2:78865:15016:1 has an error in the script. At least when run in 2009. In any new sessions it would be nice if you changed this to a different box car. It seems to be more scenery then any thing else. Thanks Carl

Hi Carl --

I constructed the session in TRS2004 but ran it in '09. That box car appears fine, even though it has an error in the script.

My attitude with TRS2009 is if it works I leave it as it is; if it don't work then I don't use that item in a session.

You run it auto? Didn't know it could be done that way. Is there much effort involved in setting up the commands? Are there sufficient track markers or do you have to add your own to the route?

Phil

Hi Phil.
I understand what you’re saying and for the most part I agree. I just have a thing about errors showing up I guess. Maybe I am too picky. Anyway, love your work and I have fun with it. Setting up the commands is what makes it challenging and what makes it fun. I have to add some track marks in order to get the train to do what I want. I have also had to lengthen some sidings because AI wants to stop further back than the unloading point. But like I said it is the challenge to make you scenario work automatically that is fun. And you estimate of the run time is pretty much right on.
Carl

Hmmm.

I did include the download link for the side tipping hoppers in the description of the session, but for some reason this is missing in the text under the thumbnail on the Download Station.

I've uploaded a :2 version to the DLS. I hope this will show the link correctly.

In the meantime, the download link is shown in my post #1 above.

Phil

OK.

I'm not having a good run with this one.

This may not affect TRS2006 and TS2009 users.

But it certainly may affect TRS2004 users - a crash to desktop.

It seems to be caused by the Spanish flat cars I've used, possibly the ones standing in the Dry Sort Yard, though I've been unable to completely verify this.

Anyway, I've now uploaded a third version, kuid2:xxx:xxx:3 to the Download Station.

If it worked for you before, ignore this; if it didn't then download the updated version.

Phil

I thought I'd give this Traction layout a try. I downloaded the route and all 4 sessions. All of them crash when loading. Fatal error with a stack dump notice. Does anybody else have the sessions working?

Scottie --

"Does anybody else have the sessions working?"

Dunno. Honestly don't. Feedback is always conspicuous by its absence. I did get an e-mail saying that "Beernskittles" worked OK.

Otherwise silence. So I don't know whether those 100+ individuals who have downloaded the sessions:
a) Got them working.
b) Got them working and enjoyed them.
c) Got them working but didn't like them.
d) Didn't get them working at all.

Until told otherwise I suspect a combination of both c) and d), which means I should hang up my boots while I'm ahead.

To come back to your particular issue, it might help:
a) If I knew which version of Trainz you are using.
b) Whether you have downloaded all the dependencies given in the text under the thumbnail on the Download Station.

I suspect you may have missed something, possibly a product or two.

Otherwise it's an error I've made. Though they worked perfectly for me with a clean install of TRS2009. CM2 captured everything.

Phil

Perhaps this will be useful;

DL the side-dump hoppers. Trying to make a session in TRS2006 with them. When going into Driver, it goes to DCC-mode whatever saved in the session. The loco's however are dead, they don't move, no enginesound either. Removing the hoppers, putting other railcars in and save - same result. Deleting the session, using other railcars - back to normal.

My conclusion, there's something dodgy with the script in the side-dump hoppers.

Ferngren --

Actually you will find that type of behaviour is a "feature" of many euro-style locomotives and rolling stock. It includes some Spanish locomotives, some Russian freight cars, and some Polish locomotives + freight cars. There are probably many others too that I have yet to discover. It does not seem to apply to US, Australian and British items. Why I have absolutely no idea.

It presents in two ways --

1. Couple a locomotive to a freight car in Surveyor. Only one of them needs to have the "offending" characteristics. In Driver the locomotive will refuse to move. The only way out is to remove all the items in Surveyor and start again.

2. Save in Driver, exit and resume. Again the locomotive will refuse to move.

The only remedy I can suggest is not to begin with the loco coupled to the rolling stock (as in the start of this session, where the loco is in the depot and the side dumpers in the yard) and to only save when the locomotive is uncoupled.

Phil

I've downloaded all four into 2004, and they load OK with the exception of SideTippers, version 3, which gives me the option of 'Downloading Missing Assets' or 'Load The Map Anyway'. I 'Load The Map' and it loads.
I had to dump version 2 because it wouldn't load.
Checking TrainzObjectz, it tells me that 147570:85001, 147:88001 and 30671926011 are 'Not Used In Any Map'.

Sorry Phil, I downloaded the session but got tied up on a lot of stuff. Moved back up home from the shore house and have not been able to get back to it. Will be able to soon and will let you know. Carl

Hi Phil...Another great route.
Your suggestion to only save when uncoupled seems to be the answer, just tried a series of uncoupled saves...no problem with the reload.
First attempt when coupled.....no go.
Quick question...it applies to other sessions too.
In the real world, what are the rules for pushing your consist?..are you only supposed to "push" in certain areas, for certain distances?.The biggest challenge for me (being quite a noob) in your sessions is finding the best/quickest/safest way to get to the next part of the job. I spend ages in pause mode peering at the map trying to work out how to get somewhere facing the right way..lol..i am thinking i shouldnt be pushing my consist for the sake of it, but sometimes you have no choice right?
Anyway...thanks again for some great routes and sessions...great work!

Back